cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Overseas Signing ?
MB (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 09:02
I m a bit out of the loop with any news, so if any one can shed any light. Are there any potential names or is there likely to be an overseas player here this year?

Re: Overseas Signing ?
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 09:26
Stuart Law has spoken highly of Shai Hope, middle order batsman, but I don't know if anything will come of it.

We also need a bowling coach- Corey Collymore?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 10:48
For the County Championship, I believe that Middlesex are keen to play as much of the season as possible with an overseas player, and that the likeliest type of player we would like would be a top-order or middle-order batsman. However, I doubt that we will be able to find someone who can play the whole campaign, so maybe we will go through two or three such players, and/or maybe we will play some matches without an overseas player.

Although Stuart Law has said he is interested in signing Shai Hope or another West Indian he has previously worked with, he has said that it may be difficult to do so at the start of the season due to West Indies preparing for the World Cup, which is something which can be said of several other current international players from around the world. Then again, the proximity to the World Cup could increase our chances of signing someone likely to play at the tournament, as it would give them a chance to acclimatise. And after the tournament has finished, there will be several big-name players already in the country who may be available. The fact Jason Holder has signed for Northamptonshire suggests that there is Hope that Middlesex could sign hope hope that Middlesex could sign Hope.

For our Royal London Cup campaign, I imagine that if we sign an overseas player, then it would be the same parson as for the start of our Championship campaign.

For our Twenty20 campaign, I am certain that we would like to play our whole campaign with both overseas player berths filled, as our squad needs all the help they can get, plus it will help sell tickets. However, whether we will be able to fill both berths for every match may depend on circumstances beyond our control, as we were hopeful of signing Ashton Agar for our whole campaign in 2018, but his availability was restricted due to Australia’s senior side unexpectedly playing an ODI series in Zimbabwe and their A side arranging a training camp, while we were hopeful of signing someone after Dwayne Bravo left for the Caribbean Premier League, but all of our plans were thwarted, as Angus Fraser explains in the Annual Review.

However, if our signings don’t perform well, then I imagine that MTWD will be awash with posts about our signing denying a place in the side for a domestic (and possibly young) player, and that our supporters won’t particularly welcome that player back.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 13:49
Without Shai we would have no Hope

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

rod/ed (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 17:29
Or just hopeless.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 18:51
If he plays for part of season we will at least have some Hope

Barmy Kev

BREARS (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 19:40
Bring back Hilton Cartwright

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 21:21
In Rod Ed's words that would be Hopeless

Barmy Kev

adelaide (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 21:23
Quote:
BREARS
Bring back Hilton Cartwright

Bring back the cat! Preferably Aslan.

Adelaide

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 07:55
Get the right overseas(s) player(s) and we will win CC2. In the meantime I will continue my one man campaign to bring Imad Wasim to the club as a T20 player.

BREARS (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 12:53
too late, we ve signed someone on summer holidays to play in t20

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:17
Yeah, cheap option. Saving the rest of the money for Virat Kohli?

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:04
[www.middlesexccc.com]

So- our first T20 signing is a 17 year old Afghan player I've never heard of.

Good luck kid.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:12
He looked quite good the two times I saw him play for Hampshire. Maybe better to have a 17yo who wants to improve rather than big name stars on another well paid jolly.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:25
17 year old?
Can't he that bad,if already playing international cricket for (Bangladesh)Afghanistan (thank you for correction Brears),they are getting stronger.
Young player,who,to be honest I didn't know much about until good old Google came to help.
The start of the new Law era?
Good luck to him,and being available for the whole t20 season is good for us.
Will we get another overseas? Only the club knows until press release turns up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 16:40 by BeefyRoberts.

BREARS (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:28
Afghanistan not Bangladesh

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:06
If Mujeeb ur Rahman’s performances for Middlesex are in line with his career record, then he will be an excellent signing. His main attribute seems to be his economy, which I am sure his teammates will appreciate, as it will build pressure for the bowlers to exploit and will reduce the amount of runs our batsmen need to score.

However, it seems that I was correct to anticipate that the idea of making overseas signings would not be universally welcomed, as Lower Mound has complained that he would rather we had retained Ravi Patel than bring in a younger model.

It isn’t a big surprise that we have brought in a spinner after last year signing Ashton Agar, as the only contracted spinner at the club who I imagine is in contention for our Twenty20 campaign is Nathan Sowter. Beyond that, we have Ollie Rayner (no Twenty20 appearances since 2016), Thilan Walallawita (if his visa gets sorted) and Luke Hollman (admittedly good enough to play for England U-19s), although they could get a chance if anything happens to Mujeeb and/or Sowter. And knowing how unlucky we sometimes are with overseas signings, the possibility of something happening to Mujeeb cannot be discounted.

As I have said, I am certain that we will aim to ensure that we play all of our Twenty20 matches with both overseas player berths filled. Last season, we signed Dwayne Bravo, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we once again sign an all-rounder, preferably one who constantly delivers. It would surely help their consistency if they are not at the tail end of their career like Bravo and Brendon McCullum were when they played for us.

A few weeks ago, we announced several contract extensions in the space of a few days, so maybe the next couple of days will see an announcement about a County Championship overseas player and/or a second Twenty20 overseas player.

Before Mujeeb plays for Middlesex, he will hopefully represent Afghanistan in the World Cup, so shouldn’t arrive at Middlesex needing to remind himself about English conditions after he played for Hampshire last season. Afghanistan will be one of the few teams at the World Cup who won’t be expected to challenge for the title, so I can see them thriving as underdogs and recording a couple of wins against established nations.

11 February, 2019 23:54
Another bargain from the £ shop?
Personally would rather had kept Ravi Patel.

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 10:42
At the risk of stating the obvious, we are only paying Rahman for the T20 tournament. If we had kept Ravi that would have meant paying him all year, unless he had been prepared to sign a T20-only contract. Ravi would presumably not have been keeping his eye in playing in tournaments elsewhere at other times, whereas Rahman will. So the two are not really comparable. Looking at his stats their batting looks similar though!

Who knows? If he is good it might lead to a more comprehensive overseas stint, though if T20 wants him he would still miss much of the season. If more Afghan and Bangladeshi players got experience in the CC it would help them improve at Test level.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 11:27
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
Another bargain from the £ shop?
Personally would rather had kept Ravi Patel.

Ravi stitched up by the simple act of never playing the bloke. Time to move on and with our spin cupboard door wide open, any volunteers to occupy are welcome.

Recruiting from the sub -continent should guarantee the ball being turned. Lords wicket may not be great for spin, however a proper one in T20 should be an assistance.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net