cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Overseas Signing ?
Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 11:30
Quote:
BREARS
Bring back Hilton Cartwright

Or maybe Ashton Agar.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 11:58
The few clips I have seen of Mujeeb show him 1) to turn the ball prodigiously, and 2) to bowl at a minimum of 10 mph faster than did Ravi.

There is a possible second agenda here for our county to pursue and consider. Signing an Afghan player opens a door for us into a community that are as nuts about cricket as any in the Indian Sub- Continent, and as talented. The blokes whom I know had already heard the news via their social media and are very excited about one of theirs playing at Lord's for the Middle.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 14:44
The Cricket Paper today headlines 'Stuart Law has high hopes for Tiger's top talent.

Mujeeb Ur Rahman had a successful spell with Hampshire T20 last season taking 9 wickets at 7 an over behind only Dale Steyn.

SL quote. It is with great pleasure we say that Mujeeb will play for MX throughout the Blast.'

'His unique style of spin has proven difficult to play against and his record is outstanding in this format".

He joins MX in July and remains for the whole competition.

hantssabre (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 21:46
Having seen him at Hampshire last season, he’s a very good signing for you. Not great in the field or with the bat though!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 07:52
Not great in the field or with the bat though.

That'll do nicely.

He should fit in well here!

smiling bouncing smiley

adelaide (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 12:59
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Not great in the field or with the bat though.
That'll do nicely.

He should fit in well here!

smiling bouncing smiley

Truly the new Ravi!

Adelaide

17 February, 2019 20:14
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
There is a possible second agenda here for our county to pursue and consider. Signing an Afghan player opens a door for us into a community that are as nuts about cricket as any in the Indian Sub- Continent, and as talented. The blokes whom I know had already heard the news via their social media and are very excited about one of theirs playing at Lord's for the Middle.

Hopefully we haven't signed him simply to sell a few shirts or put a couple of dozen punters on the gate receipts!!

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 12:18
Middlesex have written on Twitter that there will be an announcement at 12:00noon tomorrow, so maybe it will be to say that we have signed an overseas player for the start of the 2019 season or that we have signed a second overseas player for all or some of our Twenty20 campaign. Or the announcement could be about signing a domestic or Kolpak player, making an addition to our coaching team (I know that Stuart Law would like to appoint a fielding coach, although I don’t know whether he is interested in appointing a batting coach and/or a bowling coach despite the recent departures of Dave Houghton and Richard Johnson), or something completely different.

24 February, 2019 12:26
12 noon is interesting timing.

That's 8 am in most of the Caribbean islands.

So who do we reckon?

Hope, Hetmyer, one of the others?

dingy bags (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 19:24
Twitter rumour: AB de Villiers.

24 February, 2019 19:46
An article on Cricbuzz reports reports the rumour about AB de Villers with great certainty. I assume that he will only sign for Middlesex's Twenty20 campaign and be an overseas player.

To sign someone of de Villiers’ class would be a great achievement, although my excitement is tempered by the fact that some of our previous Twenty20 overseas signings (in fact some of our previous County Championship overseas signings too) put on poor performances more often than good performances, which was the case with the likes of David Warner, Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Bravo. As de Villiers is 35, hopefully he won’t play like someone whose best days were seemingly years ago.

I wouldn’t have minded had tomorrow's announcement been to say that we have identified a site for our second ground, but an announcement that we have signed de Villiers wouldn't be too bad depending on how he subsequently performs.

If de Villiers turns out to be past it, at least he will have boosted ticket sales, and at least the presence of Mujeeb Ur Rahman means that we will have someone at the opposite end of his career.

25 February, 2019 08:33
A number of online news outlets are now saying AB de Villiers is our second T20 signing.

[www.crictracker.com]

I guess official confirmation will come in a few hours time.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 08:56
Trouble is,with the internet these days,one posting can,and had,caused a tsunami of other media postings going along the same route of a player joining.
Happens in all sports,and cricket is getting busy as the season nears.
3 hours to the club official release of news,it could be the one we are all excited about,it could be news about the Middlesex Room dress code!
We wait with baited breath!

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:09
We HAVE signed AB de Villiers!

SC2

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:49
Fantastic news,one of the biggest names to sign for the Middle.
Well done to all concerned on doing this,be great to see him in the shirt of our club.
Out grounds will be full for each game,making us a few ÂŁÂŁÂŁ along the way.

Welcome to our club AB.

25 February, 2019 12:52
Excellent signing.

25 February, 2019 19:12
The Evening Standard says that AB de Villiers has scored 667 runs at an average of 41.7 and a strike-rate of 159 in the 21 Twenty20 matches he has played since he announced his retirement from international cricket and that it would be a surprise to Will Macpherson, who wrote the article, if de Villiers performs as badly for Middlesex as Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Bravo did, so that is great to read. The article also says that the signing was first mooted in 2014, and a handshake took place in 2016, and it has come in spite of another county’s director of cricket having flown to South Africa, so it is a great achievement on Middlesex’s part that we have got the signing over the line.

However, the fact that de Villiers has only signed for seven group matches (although the Standard say that he would return for finals day if we reach it, with it not being made clear by the Standard or the official website whether he would also return for the quarter-finals if we get that far) puts him in a difficult position. If he has performed well, I am certain that supporters would complain about him walking away just as our campaign reaches a crucial stage. If he has performed badly, I am certain that supporters would complain that he wasn’t committed. If no supporter makes such a comment on MTWD or on social media, I have faith that Lower Mound will oblige! I am not sure why de Villiers hasn’t signed for the whole group stage, as he is isn’t due to play at the Caribbean Premier League. You never know, maybe the fact he hasn’t signed for the CPL will mean that he will decide that he can play our whole campaign, or maybe he will sign for the CPL after all.

25 February, 2019 21:42
My faith in the club has been partially restored!!
On the face of it this should be an excellent signing.I only hope he applies himself 100% to the cause unlike some of the other so called 'superstars' who treated their time with us as a paid 'jolly' Mr. McCullam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2019 21:43 by Bring back the Crusaders.

27 February, 2019 10:14
Why's he known by his initials, like KT Tunstall?

adelaide (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 11:14
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Why's he known by his initials, like KT Tunstall?

It's quite a common thing in South Africa but I have no idea why.

If I were Kev I'd probably say I'd prefer Cruella de Villiers. But as I'm not I won't.

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net