cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Ron Hooker
adelaide (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 17:20
Another one of the names from my youthful cricket watching has passed away. One of the great names for a cricketer as well.

It was actually posted on the Surrey message board, with respectful reference to his 6/6 in a JPL match against Surrey in 1970.

Adelaide

Re: Ron Hooker
Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 04:39
Sad news indeed.

I saw his 6-6 v Surrey in 69 (Mike Smith scored a 100 too). Also saw him catch 2 in 2 v Kent in 1962 (including Mike Denness for a first-baller) when Ted Clark took 5 wickets.

Always a sharp reminder of one's own mortality when players from your youth pass away.

RIP Ron.

adelaide (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 16:56
And Ted Clark's other BB was against Surrey, which curiously enough came up on the Surrey board just a couple of weeks ago. Like most supporters, there is conviction that far too may players recorded their PB against your county!

Adelaide

27 February, 2019 10:12
Superb fielder. Started of as a batsman but ultimately became more important as a bowler. Murray Bennett and Hooker in our batting lineup was a reassuring sight in the lower middle order.

adelaide (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 11:12
I still find myself wondering how that team contrived never to win a trophy!

Adelaide

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 15:16
Some small consolation may be that Middlesex became, in 1965, the first team to defeat Sussex in the Gillette Cup. Sussex had won it in its first 2 years (1963 & 1964).

The Middlesex team was, Eric Russell, Bob Gale, Peter Parfitt, Ted Clark, John Murray, Fred Titmus, Ron Hooker, Don Bennett, Clive Radley, John Price and Bob Herman.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 09:31
RIP Ron. Your 6 for 6 will stand forever. Only Norman Cowans 6 for 9 v Lanky in 1991 has got anywhere close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net