cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Dow will Wow you
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 08:11
Those who have their membership package will see the candidates for our Board. There are many capable applications from diferent perspectives. I feel the stand out candidate is one of our own Primrose Hillbilly Andrew (trying not to laugh) Robertson Dow.

His credentials are on his personal statement suported by myself. What I would like to repeat is Andrew attends most games and happy to to mingle with the genuine supporters and can use the appropriate means to pass these on to our hierarchy in a diplomatic manner.

Vote for Andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew Now
He can strike the right cord
To represent our fans on our board
[i][/i]

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Dow will Wow you
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 09:01
Vote early

Vote often

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 09:09
I can also back Andrew,and was proud to be his second proposer.
His information is on page 5 of the board election booklet.

Have been in his company many times,and can say he has the club at his heart.

Somebody like Andrew is needed on the board,a member who also connects with fellow followers.

vote for Andrew

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 09:36
Vote For Andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew now
He mixes with the right bunch
And he is not here for the free lunch
[i][/i]

Barmy Kev

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 10:04
Dear All,

You know me as Primrose Hillbilly (Once upon a time, I lived just off PH, and could hear the crowd’s cheers from Lord’s before the tv transmitted them – hence the name.), and now that my real name is Andrew Dow.

I decided to stand because working for Middlesex would be my dream job.

Discovering MTWD was revelatory for me, because, before then, I had never come across people who were as (and in most cases more) passionate than I about the club. I didn’t even know any other Middlesex supporters.

Thank you to those who have already said they will support my nomination.

I want to help Middlesex, but also help our members’ representation, and to get them more of what they want.

There are times when Middlesex, the first class cricket club, has to move in one direction, yet I sense that direction does not completely suit the members, and a gap occurs.

An example of this is the advent of “the Hundred”. The Club will receive money from the ECB, which is good, but I want the Hundred to have minimal impact on us for its short life, so we can emerge in better shape, once this unfortunate tinkering has had its day.

Closer to home, I was saddened by the way that the new Middlesex room was handed back to us as an apparent done deal, with the photo’s removed (Wayne in full launch pad hurtle to the crease was my favourite), and the “Wall Of Fame” so reduced in appearance that Middlesex’s time at Lord’s appears almost as a footnote. That two errors appeared on the entries - Vin (t) cent Van der Bijl being the one that really grated with me – rankled.

I never really fitted into corporate life in the City, but I met a lot of interesting people and made some good contacts. I learned that I like helping people. I’ve always been independent, have become more so in the last 5 years, and would bring that on behalf of our members were I were lucky enough. I will never “go native” and become “a good committee man”.

I believe an obvious point to arise were I to succeed is how I might manage any involvement with MTWD. I would never do anything to hurt the Club, or which might damage the unique relationship between the two. I have operated with confidentiality agreements and the like most of my life, and would have no difficulty in respecting committee confidentiality, so I would not drop juicy bits of gossip into my posts. Additionally, I have a surprisingly good relationship with my numerous moderators, who also have the Club’s best interests at heart.

Thanks to Kev and all my moderators for allowing me to make this post.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will address them as fully as I would hope to do in future, were I elected.

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 10:23 by Primrose Hillbilly.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:00
Well,as I put earlier,yes,I did second proposer Andrew.
The statement above,is so from the heart and typical of how Andrew is.
I sincerely hope Andrew gets the votes to reach the committee.
I wish you all the very best Andrew,and,when successful,I will purchase a bottle of champers to celebrate with you.

11 March, 2019 12:51
My stuff has just arrived in the post.

Who to vote for (cricketing knowledge being an essential requirement)

Clive Radley, Mike Gatting, or Andrew Dow?

Oh look, Chunky. You've got to nominate three!

That's lucky then.

It had better be those three (no offence to the others on the form!)

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 13:24
Vote for Andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew now
He follows Middlesex with passion
And is a dedicated follower of fashion

Barmy Kev

Jeff Coleman (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 15:09
I am not sure that cricket knowledge is an essential requirement for joining the board as the members' representatives. We will have the 'professional cricket group' as outlined in the consultation document. This group, supporting the MD of Cricket, will help formulate and implement a strategy for long term sustainable success for the professional squads. It will cover on-field performance as well as off-field activity such as player recruitment and development. Together with the coaching staff and maybe input from the new President surely that covers the cricket side.

I would rather see a more diverse board, including a number of new faces, manage the business side of the club, represent the members and let the MD together with the coaching staff and the cricket group manage the cricket. The board will still have the ability to appoint/co-opt 3 more directors of their choosing.

Those who know me will be aware that I have felt disquiet at the percentage of MCC members on our board and would draw your attention to the fact that 6 of the 10 nominees are MCC members.

11 March, 2019 15:23
I agree, Jeff, but given that Clive Radley and Mike Gatting are standing, to me it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to not give two of my all time Middlesex favourites a vote if they are prepared to offer themselves for election.

My third vote goes to Primrose, erm I mean in Andrew- for the same reason my mum always used to send me a valentines card each year. she wouldn't have wanted me not to get one at all.

Seriously- all the non playing candidates clearly care passionately about Middlesex, and they all seem to be good people with good skill sets, so I will be content whoever gets elected, but having met Andrew, he has my vote.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 17:03
I too would like to see some new faces and greater diversity. I suspect that Radley and Gatting are shoe-ins, not least because cricket club members always vote for names they know. I have nothing against either; I played against Mike Gatting years ago and modelled my running, completely unsuccessfully, on Clive Radley, who I saw edge the ball through the slips to win the 1976 championship and is one of my heroes.

Are they the best people to run the club in 2019 though? I have yet to make up my mind. I don't know Andrew, but am swayed by his input on here and the support expressed for him by others who I know are passionate about our club.

I am also tempted by one of the women (Oh! I say!) and by some of the others, who have either done good work in the past, or would be a breath of fresh air.

I shall consider, re-read their statements and read with interest other people's views in this thread. Keep them coming!

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 18:02
My crosses have been placed after reading the candidate booklet a few times,one of course in the obvious place.
I'm not going to say whom the other two are,just to say one is non-MCC.Myself,I feel the committee is a bit top-heavy with said club members,and a freshen up is needed.
Is this a 2 year sitting for the elected board?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 19:53
I am not totally clear about what is going on. Page 24 of the Middlesex Rules suggests that the current Executive Board will be dissolved in June 2019, at which point a new board (although this may not be titled ‘Executive Board’) will replace it. The fact the front page of the booklet with candidate submissions says “the new board will be constituted in June 2019” reinforces this. The book about the club Rules suggests that the candidate who receives the most votes at this election will serve for three years, with the candidate with the second-most serving for two years and the candidate with the third-most serving for one year. However, maybe I have interpreted this incorrectly.

Nothing which came with the recent mailing or which is on the official website mentions that some candidates are seeking re-election in 2019 or that others will be seeking re-election in later years despite the fact I have seen that written in the past, so that again reinforces the suggestion that a new board is being constituted.

A key reason why I am keen to be clear is because it would be nice if the club had a board with a wide range of expertise rather than being mainly or entirely comprised of similar people, which makes it pertinent to know who (if anyone) is already on the board. However, if an entirely new board is being constituted, then I don’t need to consider the make-up of the current board.

I remember that when the Executive Board was first elected in about 2009, the eight candidates who received the most votes were also the eight whose proposers and seconders had the highest profile. If something similar happened again, then Clive Radley and Mike Gatting would be certain to do well, and also Alvan Seth Smith and Richard Sykes. This would also favour Marilyn Smith, as although neither I nor many supporters will have heard of her, I am sure that many will have heard of her proposer Jane Saxton and seconder Beth Morgan. However, if the candidates with the best-known proposers and seconders are elected, then the board may not be particularly diverse.

I haven’t decided who I will vote for, although it would be nice to have an MTWD contributor on the board.

As the pre-paid envelope we have been given is second-class and votes have to be received by 28th March, we have about two weeks to make our minds up.

11 March, 2019 21:53
To answer a couple of points raised by Jonathan’s message:

The adoption of the new rules at the EGM held last year saw the Club accept a new set of rules and new corporate governance guidelines.

As Richard Goatley said then, “Adopting the new rules allows us to modernise the club’s governance procedures, take greater responsibility for leadership of cricket throughout the county and both recreational and professional levels, and work towards achieving compliance with Sport England’s Code of Sports Governance.”

I am not privy to any of the decisions behind this, but my rugby club underwent exactly the same thing when we wanted to raise finance for a new clubhouse.

Thus, reading between the lines, with our desire to find a viable alternative ground to Lord’s in mind, I believe the crucial thing about the new rules is that we will need to raise finance, which Clause 5.2 of the new rules now facilitates, as it states that we are allowed :

Preamble to Entire Claus 5 :

"To further its objects, the Club shall have the power to do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the objects of the Club including (but not limited to) all or any of the following:

Then 5.2

"To raise or borrow money from Members or others up to a limit agreed from time to time by the Members in General Meeting for the purposes of or in connection with the activities of the Club or any of them, on such terms as may be decided by the Board. Any sum or sums raised or borrowed may be secured by way of mortgage or charge over all or any of the undertaking, property and assets, present or future, of the Club, and whether or not including any floating charge of all or any of the undertaking, property and assets of the Club."

So, as long as we can satisfy potential investors about our ability to meet such obligations as promised returns and repayment of the capital sum (s) , we can now issue bonds, take out loans or raise finance by other means.

With the new rules comes a new format for the Club, and – I am guessing – the corporate governance angle requires that e.g. the number of members or another numerical yardstick is employed to determine the numbers of board members required. Hence the need for more candidates.

Messrs. Gatting, Seth – Smith and Sykes are already on the current Executive Board, so they appear to be the members offering themselves for re-election. The full Executive can be viewed here:

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 21:56 by Primrose Hillbilly.

12 March, 2019 09:19
A question for Andrew (I hope this doesn't cause you a problem, but here goes)

We all know your views on the 100 , and the Middlesex room, because you have made those views known on this forum, and on this thread.

But in your manifesto in the booklet, where everyone states their career history and skill sets, there is no mention of either subject. and that is true of all the candidates. Where you all told that certain subjects were off limits in your public address?

Fortunately I know where you stand on these issues, so you have my vote, but it's a bit like going into the polling booth at the general election, seeing candidates names, and not knowing which one is Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem and (in my neck of the woods) SNP.

Kind of fairly essential information before you decide who to put your cross against.

I look at a couple of the candidates, and I suspect they are 'Don't rock the boat, MCC/ECB
types', but I might be entirely misjudging them.

It feels like useful 'This is what I think about XYZ' information hasn't been allowed. We are just told about peoples careers, and some seem more impressive than others. One or two slightly touch on the 100, but not in a way that suggests any other than meek compliance.

And with so many joint MCC/MCCC members. I guess the 'establishment' characters have a head start, despite a load of nice words about wanting the board to be representative of all backgrounds (race, age, sex)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 09:20 by chunkyinargyll.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 09:58
While all candidates are worthy in their own way , I really think it is in our interests not to vote for Gatt or Radley. They were heroes of mine in their playing days, but this is diferent. Gatt I know has his interest in may pies (no pun intended) and has been seen at many establishment events. Clive I am sure is a nice guy but on many ocassions has failed to even acknowledge our genuine fans at matches icluding away gammes where we are easily recognisible and seems to be more comfortable with the hierarchy. This all seems to go against what the club are trying to achieve.

Vote for Andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew now
He will mix with our grass roots
And raise the issues with those in suits
[i][/i]

Barmy Kev

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 10:19
Quote:
chunkyinargyll

Fortunately I know where you stand on these issues, so you have my vote, but it's a bit like going into the polling booth at the general election, seeing candidates names, and not knowing which one is Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem and (in my neck of the woods) SNP.

Kind of fairly essential information before you decide who to put your cross against.

Completely off-piste, I know and apologies, but when I was a small boy in Finchley, candidates party was not listed on ballot papers, you had to know their names. I remember my mum asking me to go up the road to a house where she knew there was a poster advocating the names of the candidates for the party she wanted to vote for, to tell her who they were!

This was thought silly and Frank Davis changed his name by deed poll to Frank Liberal Davis, thus meaning that his name appeared on the ballot paper as 'Davis, Frank Liberal'. His action caused a change in the law; well done Frank, I say.

I'll get my coat.....

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 10:54
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe

Completely off-piste, I know and apologies, but when I was a small boy in Finchley, candidates party was not listed on ballot papers, you had to know their names. I remember my mum asking me to go up the road to a house where she knew there was a poster advocating the names of the candidates for the party she wanted to vote for, to tell her who they were!

This was thought silly and Frank Davis changed his name by deed poll to Frank Liberal Davis, thus meaning that his name appeared on the ballot paper as 'Davis, Frank Liberal'. His action caused a change in the law; well done Frank, I say.

I'll get my coat.....

Even better if Frank Liberal Davis was the Conservative candidate!

I vaguely remember a rumpus when some candidate or other changed their name to something very similar to one of the big parties' candidates, also someone trying to change their name to Aardvark or similar to get to the top of the ballot paper.

I'm just about old enough to remember a couple of by-elections where there were over a hundred candidates. The reason was because if you stood for Parliament you could get out of the Army without a stain, or discharge, on your character! The loophole was closed pretty quickly.

I agree that the addresses are not very informative and convey the impression that it is about the best people to implement a given policy, rather than to develop that policy (e g on the Hundred) - but is that meant to be the committee's role? Specifically on the Hundred, being adamantly opposed to it is all well and good but the job is going to be to live with it and minimise the damage to the club by engaging and being constructive.

I've never been too happy at the thought that things are primarily about contacts rather than knowledge (though I have to acknowledge that it is sometimes true). Trouble is, that kind of leads to electing those with the best contacts which, in the absence of any real means of assessing candidates' links and influence outside cricket, is likely to be those with MCC connections. But that - entrenching the establishment and old boys' network - is the opposite of what my instincts tell me I should do.

Adelaide

12 March, 2019 11:31
Thank you for the question, Chunky,

I was not given any guidance / or told what I was allowed (or not allowed) to put in my "official" write up. - No "no go" areas, or anything else.

Richard Goatley was very encouraging throughout the process.

I decided myself to employ the Club's own publication as an opportunity to put as positive a case for my candidature as possible.

I am 100% sure that had I chosen to state my feelings on both the issues that you mention, my comments would have been included without censure.

In fact, the only limitation placed on me was a word "cap" of 300. As readers of my CC match reports will know, that just about gets me to when play starts in the morning!

I believe it is in the Club's interests to be as reflective of the entire membership's views as possible.

An interesting point was raised this morning, which I will post here.

If you use your ballot to vote for three candidates, (your full allocation), you advance those three at the expense of those for whom you did not vote, but those three effectively cancel each other out.

I encourage members to use their votes as tactically as they feel appropriate.

One final point :

The cricket committee will take care of the core business of the Club. We have undoubted expertise there. We will know if they are doing their job through the results.That committee will report to the Board in any case.

As others have said,the last thing we want is a set of people who always do things the way they have always been done, or who just want to be good neighbours with the MCC.

For what it's worth, I believe the other stand out candidate - through their involvement in women's cricket and career expertise in accessing (property) funding through planning is Marilyn Smith.

IMHO, what the club needs in the next few years - with our new ground project in mind - is "in house" expertise in getting cricket related property projects up and running. We can appoint all the high fee charging firms of Surveyors etc that we like, but it would be great if we were to have someone on board (Hah !!!) to scrutinise and oversee their efforts, and hold them to account. Marilyn Smith's write up speaks of exactly this sort of expertise

Thus, Marilyn Smith will be the other candidate for whom I will definitely vote, and I encourage you all to read her resumé and do likewise.

Vote Dow! Vote Jones (ooops, no that won't work, cancel that) Vote Smith!

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 12:07
Vote Only for Andrew Dow
Vote only For Andrew now.
There is only other worth a sniff.
That is Mrs Marilyn Smith.
[i][/i]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net