cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Dow will Wow you
Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:03
Quote:
Jeff Coleman
I am not sure that cricket knowledge is an essential requirement for joining the board as the members' representatives. We will have the 'professional cricket group' as outlined in the consultation document. This group, supporting the MD of Cricket, will help formulate and implement a strategy for long term sustainable success for the professional squads. It will cover on-field performance as well as off-field activity such as player recruitment and development. Together with the coaching staff and maybe input from the new President surely that covers the cricket side.
I would rather see a more diverse board, including a number of new faces, manage the business side of the club, represent the members and let the MD together with the coaching staff and the cricket group manage the cricket. The board will still have the ability to appoint/co-opt 3 more directors of their choosing.

Those who know me will be aware that I have felt disquiet at the percentage of MCC members on our board and would draw your attention to the fact that 6 of the 10 nominees are MCC members.

At the governance forum. Tim Lamb stated that to access grants from ECB and Sport England greater diversity was required on our Board. Richard Goatley underlined this point.

On looking at the candidates much of the same old, same old appear, They, if elected wont help MX on the grant front. As JC said, there are areas where their talents would be better placed.

I also raised the point that 5 of 6 members of the outgoing board are MCC members. An unhealthy balance imho. .

Wearing two hats (divided loyalty) is not healthy for the club and its time to move on from that position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 14:04 by Seaxe_man1.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:16
S_M-

I don't see how we can get round the problem of candidates who are members of both MCC and MCCC standing.

The difficulty is that I feel these people start with an advantage (members of both clubs wanting 'their MCC men') on the Middlesex board.

It's a unique Middlesex problem that other counties don't suffer from (or if someone is a member of MCC and Worcestershire it wouldn't have the same impact as it does for joint MCC/MCCC members).

All those nice words about diversity, and a couple of MCC heavyweights, with impressive CV's decide to stand, so it's a problem other county clubs don't have (as I suppose joint members will support them)

Gatt and Radley muddied the waters for me a bit. All time heroes of mine, so it is difficult for me to snub them. I'm guessing most will agree, leaving everyone else fighting over one place.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:23
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe

Completely off-piste, I know and apologies, but when I was a small boy in Finchley, candidates party was not listed on ballot papers, you had to know their names. I remember my mum asking me to go up the road to a house where she knew there was a poster advocating the names of the candidates for the party she wanted to vote for, to tell her who they were!

This was thought silly and Frank Davis changed his name by deed poll to Frank Liberal Davis, thus meaning that his name appeared on the ballot paper as 'Davis, Frank Liberal'. His action caused a change in the law; well done Frank, I say.

I'll get my coat.....

Even better if Frank Liberal Davis was the Conservative candidate!

I vaguely remember a rumpus when some candidate or other changed their name to something very similar to one of the big parties' candidates, also someone trying to change their name to Aardvark or similar to get to the top of the ballot paper.

I'm just about old enough to remember a couple of by-elections where there were over a hundred candidates. The reason was because if you stood for Parliament you could get out of the Army without a stain, or discharge, on your character! The loophole was closed pretty quickly.

I agree that the addresses are not very informative and convey the impression that it is about the best people to implement a given policy, rather than to develop that policy (e g on the Hundred) - but is that meant to be the committee's role? Specifically on the Hundred, being adamantly opposed to it is all well and good but the job is going to be to live with it and minimise the damage to the club by engaging and being constructive.

I've never been too happy at the thought that things are primarily about contacts rather than knowledge (though I have to acknowledge that it is sometimes true). Trouble is, that kind of leads to electing those with the best contacts which, in the absence of any real means of assessing candidates' links and influence outside cricket, is likely to be those with MCC connections. But that - entrenching the establishment and old boys' network - is the opposite of what my instincts tell me I should do.

Adelaide

Agreed Adelaide, most are uninformative of what they offer or would do. The ones known to us in particular. A couple of them look good candidates for the two MCB seats. Others for sub-committees.

Another who I do not recognise, claims to chat with members. However, that is not what the election is about.

It is to move MX forward from the dark ages. Or to use a Spursy claim. To the next level. One only, fits three of the ECB requirements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 14:33 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:29
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
S_M-
I don't see how we can get round the problem of candidates who are members of both MCC and MCCC standing.

The difficulty is that I feel these people start with an advantage (members of both clubs wanting 'their MCC men') on the Middlesex board.

It's a unique Middlesex problem that other counties don't suffer from (or if someone is a member of MCC and Worcestershire it wouldn't have the same impact as it does for joint MCC/MCCC members).

All those nice words about diversity, and a couple of MCC heavyweights, with impressive CV's decide to stand, so it's a problem other county clubs don't have (as I suppose joint members will support them)

Gatt and Radley muddied the waters for me a bit. All time heroes of mine, so it is difficult for me to snub them. I'm guessing most will agree, leaving everyone else fighting over one place.

I not sure too many members of MX agree with your second paragraph.

Of course they can stand. However you are not obliged to vote for them I hope.

Two hats equal divided loyalty. Which one take precedence do you reckon chunky? I think most of us know.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:31
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe

Completely off-piste, I know and apologies, but when I was a small boy in Finchley, candidates party was not listed on ballot papers, you had to know their names. I remember my mum asking me to go up the road to a house where she knew there was a poster advocating the names of the candidates for the party she wanted to vote for, to tell her who they were!

This was thought silly and Frank Davis changed his name by deed poll to Frank Liberal Davis, thus meaning that his name appeared on the ballot paper as 'Davis, Frank Liberal'. His action caused a change in the law; well done Frank, I say.

I'll get my coat.....

Even better if Frank Liberal Davis was the Conservative candidate!

I vaguely remember a rumpus when some candidate or other changed their name to something very similar to one of the big parties' candidates, also someone trying to change their name to Aardvark or similar to get to the top of the ballot paper.

I'm just about old enough to remember a couple of by-elections where there were over a hundred candidates. The reason was because if you stood for Parliament you could get out of the Army without a stain, or discharge, on your character! The loophole was closed pretty quickly.

I agree that the addresses are not very informative and convey the impression that it is about the best people to implement a given policy, rather than to develop that policy (e g on the Hundred) - but is that meant to be the committee's role? Specifically on the Hundred, being adamantly opposed to it is all well and good but the job is going to be to live with it and minimise the damage to the club by engaging and being constructive.

I've never been too happy at the thought that things are primarily about contacts rather than knowledge (though I have to acknowledge that it is sometimes true). Trouble is, that kind of leads to electing those with the best contacts which, in the absence of any real means of assessing candidates' links and influence outside cricket, is likely to be those with MCC connections. But that - entrenching the establishment and old boys' network - is the opposite of what my instincts tell me I should do.

Adelaide

Agreed Adelaide, most are uninformative of what they offer or would do. The ones known to us in particular. A couple of them look good candidates for the two MCB seats. Others for sub-committees.

Another who I do not recognise, claims to chat with members. However, that is not what the election is about.

It is to move MX forward from the dark ages. Or to use a Spursy claim. To the next level. One only, fits three of the ECB requirements.

12 March, 2019 14:33
Well I don't know S_M

Some are first and foremost MCC members, who have Middlesex membership as an afterthought, so they have something to watch between test matches and ODI's.

For others, possibly the loyalty is the other way round.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 14:52
One MCC member described membership as a season ticket. A guy who I think does a good job.

The 2015 agreement had a release clause after 5 years. This has now arrived and could be triggered by either party.

With the advent of the 100. MCC have now triggered this clause. So for 2020 we have no agreement.

With the MCC 100 franchise that imho changes the scenario considerably.

With the 100 MX will be playing at Lords less, so MCC will not want to pay us as much money I guess.

Not that the 2015 agreement was overly generous. Worked only in the event of a prolonged spell of bad weather which never happened.

This is where the new Board will come into action. Now, if overloaded with MCC members, how do you reckon that stage will pan out, given wearing two hats? My guess. Not too good.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 15:02
One MCC member described membership as a season ticket. A guy who I think does a good job.

The 2015 agreement had a release clause after 5 years. This has now arrived and could be triggered by either party.

With the advent of the 100. MCC have now triggered this clause. So for 2020 we have no agreement.

With the MCC 100 franchise that imho changes the scenario considerably.

With the 100 MX will be playing at Lords less, so MCC will not want to pay us as much money I guess.

Not that the 2015 agreement was overly generous. Worked only in the event of a prolonged spell of bad weather which never happened.

This is where the new Board will come into action. Now, if overloaded with MCC members, how do you reckon that stage will pan out, given wearing two hats? My guess. Not too good chunky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 15:04 by Seaxe_man1.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 15:48
We are voting for board members to take care of the FUTURE. The ability in the PAST to hit a sumptuous cover drive or a deft late cut ( Gatt & Rad) should not be taken into account.
Read the literature and decide what is best for the Middle, after choosing PH of course.

13 March, 2019 08:32
I think this link refers to the board that we are about to elect three representatives to.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

I knew I had read somewhere about the desire for it to be- quote- an inclusive and diverse board with respect, but not limited to age, ability, gender, gender expression, race, religion, belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background and would actively encourage members of under represented groups to apply for a position, in order to help the club achieve this objective.

Sounds great, but a shame a couple of 'the establishment' candidates, with CV's that include sitting on this that and the other boards with MCC connections will doubtless get the MCC members support.

More than ever before it would have been nice to know what the candidates thought about various things, rather than reading about their careers.

I understand the successful three must be reasonable people who will cooperate, and not be difficult and negative for the sake of it. The hundred can't be stopped, so I agree there is no point trying to stop the inevitable, and I can see that the board will probably seldom even need to address the subject, as it is more about Middlesex matters (finance, player recruitment etc) but it would be nice if supporters of all counties got the chance to always vote for an anti 100 candidate whenever elections took place, as that is an effective way of telling the ECB what we think.

So now, more than ever before, it's about voting for someone who believes in the same things we do, rather than the candidate with seemingly the best cv and track record in sport administration. It might possibly be those candidates don't like the 100 either- but unlike Andrew I don't know that, because they haven't stated their view.

And if the desire (as per link) is for more 'real supporters and diversity' on the board, you won't get that going for the establishment option.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 08:42
Vote for Andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew Now
Things need changing fast
From someone who is not stuck in the past.

Andrew when are we going round the streets of St John’s Wood and Primrose Hill on your bike with a tanoy chanting our campaign slogans? Do you want me on the back wheel or handle bars?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 09:29
You're on the handle bars, Kev, like a sort of mascot.

I have two speakers to hang off the luggage rack at the back, and a small trailer that I will tow, which will house the amplifier, and from which several devoted fans will perch, scattering leaflets, as we proceed throughout NW1, NW3 and NW8.

My role will be to pedal in as high a gear as suits the passengers so we cover the area effectively, attempting to avoid potholes.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 11:47
For me, having carefully studied the list of candidates,there is one outstanding candidate.

Professor Ajit Kumar Shah is very well known to me.He is a life member of Middlesex CCC. He is a great and passionate supporter of our club. He also loves this great game and has also played club cricket.

In my opinion he has a great understanding of the diverse views held by the members of our club.

He is of Indian origin and is a professor and consultant psychiatrist.He will in my opinion bring diversity and a great deal more to our board.

Turning to the election itself two matters do concern me.

1) The wording on the voting paper is totally misleading.The wording says.' Please place a cross against the THREE candidates for whom you wish to vote'

I have had members who have spoken to me who thought wrongly they had to vote for three candidates. The voting paper should have made it very clear you have to vote for a maximum of three candidates.This wording could affect the outcome of the election.

2) I think it is totally wrong for the individual membership number to be shown on the voting form.I am sure there are many members who have taken part in this election who would wish their vote to be kept private.

I await the result of this election with great interest.

13 March, 2019 11:51
By the way, I do realise Middlesex resisted the one hundred, and its variations longer than most, and there comes a time when there is little point being the only (or one of two) still objecting, but I still want to know where candidates stand on this, as it is key to whether or not they get my support.

As we resisted for a long time I assume we already have a number of people in key positions who don't like the hundred, but I'd like to know who are the goody's!

13 March, 2019 11:57
Lp- I guess the problem is forgeries if you don't have your membership number on the ballot.

I doubt anyone at the club will have the time or the inclination to match numbers to names to see who voted for who.

Agree the professor seems a very good candidate.

adelaide (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 12:00
Quote:
lower pavilion
I think it is totally wrong for the individual membership number to be shown on the voting form.I am sure there are many members who have taken part in this election who would wish their vote to be kept private.
I await the result of this election with great interest.

LP

If you don't do that, how do you stop people taking several copies of the form and sending them all in? It might be far fetched in this case (I doubt Putin is very interested in the MCCC elections) but if it happened in, say, a strike ballot it could be very dangerous.

Adelaide

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:09
Vote for andrew Dow
Vote for Andrew now
In his box mark a cross
As the candidate who gives a toss
[i][/i]

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 10:39
Vote for Primrose Hillbilly
Not for others who may be silly
I'm hoping none of them are knaves
Unlike the Hundred's Mr .....

rod/ed (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 15:30
There was a young man called Dow
Who wants your vote right now
Often asked the reasons why
He replies with ne'er a sigh
I'm Middlesex till I die.

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 18:32
Nice to see important points made and some good Middlesex humour in this thread.

Cast my votes. Not saying for who but safe to say, hoping a contributor to this message board is successful.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net