cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Dow will Wow you
Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 21:28
In case anyone on here has decided to back my candidature, thank you very much indeed. If I don't know you by now, I hope to make your acquaintance soon, to thank you in person.

I can only reiterate what I have previously said - there are times when Middlesex, the first class cricket county has to go one way, and the members might not be entirely happy with that.

That might be because the Club have not communicated more effectively about their desired direction of travel. Equally, the membership might simply feel that the club is wrong. This is, always has been and - I hope - always will be a members' club.

I am just back from a meeting (not connected with cricket at all, sadly) where a presentation was made to us by BBC London, about filming future meetings and conducting interviews about a certain subject in our local area. I had previously voiced my objection to this, and said I was not going to change my mind about my opposition, so they might as well not bother.

Yet, the Beeb turned up and chose to tell us what they were proposing and to try to steamroller us. They failed. I continued to say "no", and my opposition to the cameras, microphones and 15 minutes of fame has - if anything - hardened.

I have no difficulty digging my heels in and sticking to my guns, whatever the opposition. If I am told by sufficient members they want "x" when the club want "y", I will say I want "y" on behalf of those who have taken the trouble to tell me, and will tell the Club the reasons.

Make no mistake, I want Middlesex to prosper. I fancy us winning Div 2 this year, and then winning the CC outright next year. I never want us to descend into the silly bickering that plagues others. However, up until recently, apart from Richard, Gus and our coaches, I never knew who was who, who was accountable for what, and where they were to be found.

That changes, with any luck. You ask me. I go and find out, I take it up with people. I report back.

Thank you.

PH aka Andrew Dow

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 07:44
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly

I have no difficulty digging my heels in and sticking to my guns, whatever the opposition. If I am told by sufficient members they want "x" when the club want "y", I will say I want "y" on behalf of those who have taken the trouble to tell me, and will tell the Club the reasons.

No.

You've got that the wrong way round.

You go back and say. 'I want x.

smiling bouncing smiley

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 12:11
One bloke texted me for the names of those on the list who did not wear two hats.

I texted him back with the four names who qualify.

He said he will draw three of those out of a hat and vote accordingly.

As far as I know, he has never previously voted before, so progress of a sort and he is finally taking more interest in the Club direction. Good Oh..

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 18:53
Well done, and well spotted, Chunky.

It just goes to show how much the Bankers from the Weeb had annoyed me last night.

I will attempt to communicate better between Club and members, acting as members' representative, voice and ambassador, and will object on your behalf to any letter of the alphabet which has incurred your displeasure and let the Board know about it and any alternate letter for which you can mount a compelling argument.

Regardless of whoever wins, I can bet that none of the other candidates are having even 5% as much fun as I am writing to you all!

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 13:53
The ECB have handed Middlesex responsibility for cricket in the historic count of said Middlesex from grassroots upwards.

Two things. Don't waste your vote.

Plus we are referring to the historic county. So, for me, the political clowns version circa 1964 goes out of the window.

Ready to open it anytime.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2019 09:32
The accounts show a drop of around 350 members (7%). With next years 100 not likely to improve on that though we hope for the best.

The new Board will face problems in that area with a fresh look likely needed.

adelaide (IP Logged)
20 March, 2019 12:31
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Plus we are referring to the historic county. So, for me, the political clowns version circa 1964 goes out of the window.

Are we not referring to representation of Middlesex members? Some of whom may not live anywhere near any version of the historic county but I presume that you are not suggesting that they should be disenfranchised!

The "political clowns' version" of Middlesex post-1964 is of course a big fat nothing, so it as just as well that we are not referring to that!

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2019 15:50
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Seaxe_man1

Are we not referring to representation of Middlesex members? Some of whom may not live anywhere near any version of the historic county but I presume that you are not suggesting that they should be disenfranchised!

The "political clowns' version" of Middlesex post-1964 is of course a big fat nothing, so it as just as well that we are not referring to that!

Adelaide

No Adelaide. I was paraphrasing Richard Goatley's words from the last forum.

In which he relayed the information that the ECB had passed the responsibility for cricket from grass roots upwards, to the present MX Board, in the historic county of Middlesex.

Richard also indicated, presumably in partnership with, adjoining Minor Counties.

'Disenfranchisement' I leave to the political clowns who are well versed in the art.

Back in 1964, I have read, that at the AGM, the year of the denouement of the historic of MX.

That a motion was put forward to change our name to Greater London.

As that particular entity covers chunks of Surrey, Essex, Herts and Kent.

Difficult to see how that would work and the Oval could also be our home round.

Anyway, it was roundly rejected and I can only add ' God Bless' to all those at that meeting who could see the wood from the trees.

The ECB and their predecessors, the TCCB, sensibly followed the 1888 boundary definitions in England and Wales.

To follow the machinations of the political clowns from that date, regarding boundaries, new names etc, would have created a mess on top of the ones that they have already created.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 13:44
Votes close today. Results for Board announced at AGM on Monday. Tea and biscuits at 5.30 afore AGM at 6pm.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 21:49
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
I remember that when the Executive Board was first elected in about 2009, the eight candidates who received the most votes were also the eight whose proposers and seconders had the highest profile. If something similar happened again, then Clive Radley and Mike Gatting would be certain to do well, and also Alvan Seth Smith and Richard Sykes. This would also favour Marilyn Smith, as although neither I nor many supporters will have heard of her, I am sure that many will have heard of her proposer Jane Saxton and seconder Beth Morgan. However, if the candidates with the best-known proposers and seconders are elected, then the board may not be particularly diverse

To a large extent, I was proven correct, as I think that Clive Radley and Mike Gatting comfortably finished in the top two in the voting when Richard Goatley announced the breakdown of the results, while Marilyn Smith took the one remaining place. I wasn’t particularly keen on Radley and Gatting being successful, as I was hopeful that the board wouldn't be loaded with ex-cricketers. However, I voted with Marilyn Smith alongside Primrose Hillbilly and Professor Ajit Kumar Shah due to those being the only candidates to be endorsed on this thread and due to it being pointed out that Smith’s experience may come in handy when we plan to build our second ground, so at least one of the candidates I voted for was elected.

Maybe a full breakdown will be posted on the official website in the next day or so.

I would like to write about the news about our proposed second ground now, but I think my parents would like to watch EastEnders, so I won’t be able to so until after that.

01 April, 2019 22:02
Could have turned out worse.

I don't want it to be a competition about who went to the best school, and made the most money in the city, and is already on half a dozen other boards.

These characters may be very nice people. They may not like the hundred any more than I do, but I want to know what people believe in (for or against the hundred) not what an excellent education, and successful career they had, because that perpetuates the belief that only 'a certain type' have what it takes to be on the board.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 05:31
Firstly congratulations to all 3 candidates on their election. We won't be demanding a recount.

The only pleasing one for me is Marilyn Smith, but no surprise the other two. An acquaintance who is member not involved in MTWD but read their and proposors comments stated based on these will vote for Andrew Dow with Gatts and Radley the afterthought vote. With 3 votes sentiment is likely to play a part. Also, our many members who have little interest in Middlesex will always go for the big names.

I just hope there will be a change where these two ex players are willing to climb out of their comfort zone and engage with the fans who ardently follow Middlesex home and away.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

02 April, 2019 08:15
For some reason I keep misreading Marilyn Smith as Madeleine Smith.

[www.buryfreepress.co.uk]

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 09:46
At the after meet drinks,we were introduced to Marilyn Smith....WOW,what a fresh new breath for committee.
Bubbly lady,who knows her cricket inside out and open to talk and easily approachable.
I have a feeling this lady will be greeted by most,if not all members and a welcome new face for us.

Sadly,Andrew didn't reach his goal this time but wasnt downbeat on the result.Who knows,he may stand again.If so,good luck my friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 09:49 by BeefyRoberts.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 11:47
The current financial agreement expires this year which will provide the first major test for the new board.

The board make up being largely the same as before.

Apart from the MX club involvement who will have input one assumes, with the 100 hundred approaching and greater outground use required for a number of weeks.

The other major project is the second ground but a person with experience has been delegated to follow that up.

It is intended to be a community ground. This will produce far greater usage and hopefully greater awareness of Middlesex and may assist in building interest and MX membership.

Membership numbers after oscillating around the 8 to 8500 mark for quite awhile. are down to 7500 in answer to a question.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net