cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Alan Moss RIP
adelaide (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 18:09
The club has announced the death of Alan Moss. Not a very good year so far, so soon after Ron Hooker.

I was a bit too young to see much of Moss bowling. I have a vague memory of him playing a one day match some years after his original retirement but it is so vague a memory that I might be imagining either the event or my having been there.

Adelaide

Re: Alan Moss RIP
Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 23:19
From memory, I think he played in a Gillette Cup semi-final at Lord's against Warwickshire. If he did it was the only time I saw him play.

RIP

I just checked and, this time my memory is not playing tricks! By a sad coincidence, Ron Hooker was Man of the Match.

[static.espncricinfo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 23:24 by Mr. Trellis..

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 10:50
I too was slightly too young to see him play, but he was clearly a popular and impressive servant of the club.

Living to a good old age is great, if you're reasonably fit, but it does have the disadvantage of being less well known to the living!

adelaide (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 10:58
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
From memory, I think he played in a Gillette Cup semi-final at Lord's against Warwickshire. If he did it was the only time I saw him play.
RIP

I just checked and, this time my memory is not playing tricks! By a sad coincidence, Ron Hooker was Man of the Match.

Yes, that's the one and I was there! Ron Hooker took the first four wickets and took the catch for the fifth. I see that Alan Moss bowled six maidens and went for just 23 off 12 but didn't take any wickets, which was what was really needed. As was quite usual in those days, both sides used only five bowlers.

I had confused this match - or more precisely the "taking the catch after all his wickets" business with Ron's 6/6 match against Surrey.

Adelaide

15 March, 2019 15:05
He played in the first game I ever saw in 1957. A very consistent fast bowler who would have played more tests if he hadn't coincided with Trueman Statham Loader and Tyson. Also a proper no. 11 not bothered about hanging around.

With the demise of Ron Hooker there are hardly any regulars still around from my schooldays. I can only think of Parfitt and Russell.

RIP Alan

adelaide (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:16
Ted Clark?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 10:30

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 11:08
That's a fantastic tribute from Gus.

He clearly meant a lot to him.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 16:42
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
RIP

Yes, that's the one and I was there! Ron Hooker took the first four wickets and took the catch for the fifth. I see that Alan Moss bowled six maidens and went for just 23 off 12 but didn't take any wickets, which was what was really needed. As was quite usual in those days, both sides used only five bowlers.

I had confused this match - or more precisely the "taking the catch after all his wickets" business with Ron's 6/6 match against Surrey.

Adelaide

I was there too, and had intended to try to dig out the details as it was undoubtedly the most significant contribution I saw Ron Hooker make. But I had completely forgotten that Alan Moss was playing. Like Adelaide, I think it must have been the only time I saw him play.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 14:21
Fortunately I am old enough to remember Alan Moss and JJ Warr in partnership late fifties and a very decent opening attack they were.

Plus as mentioned Moss, was recalled from retirement 1n 1968 for the Gillette semi to bowl his 12 over share.

We lost that by two wickets defending a lowish score. Tom Cartwright turning the ball to leg down to the Warner Stand for the winning runs.

RIP Alan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net