cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Middlesex v Lancashire at Lords 11th to 14th April
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 21:09
Next game looks a stern test.
Will there be any changes to our team,if so,who for whom?
For Lancashire,they have Onions and Anderson as main bowling pair.
First day of season at home,bound to be a queue to get in,the odd teething problem along the way.
Weather looks dry,but cool for all 4 days,and from earlier pic wicket on Warner side as we cant use the middle wickets,they are for some other games coming up.
Looking at Twitter,a few Lancashire followers/members coming down as well...looking forward to meeting up with some of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2019 17:07 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Lancashire at Lords 11th to 14th April
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 21:56
I reckon it will be Stirlo for Eski and Helm for Finn.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 19:04
I intend to go after work on Thursday and Friday and all day at the weekend, although whether there will be much play left in the match come the weekend will depend on the match situation.

This is an important match, as a lot of people at Middlesex will be disappointed about how the first two days of our match v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road went as well as the fact we failed to win, so we will have to perform much better in all departments, especially as we our facing a likely promotion rival in Lancashire. The result of this match could be crucial come the end of the season.

As others have said, it is doubtful that we will select a spinner for this match, as that would require a fast bowler making way. Also, I am not sure if Ollie Rayner is back from paternity leave yet. If we don’t select a spinner, hopefully it won’t result in yet another episode in which everyone associated with the club sweats about a red over-rate figure.

Finchley_Bee (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 15:18
Middlesex squad: Dawid Malan (C); Stephen Eskinazi;Steven Finn; Nick Gubbins; James Harris; Tom Helm; Max Holden; Eoin Morgan; Tim Murtagh; Sam Robson; Toby Roland-Jones; John Simpson (WK); Nathan Sowter; Paul Stirling

Lancashire squad: Vilas (C), Anderson, Bailey, Bohannon, Davies, Footitt, Guest, Hameed, Jones, Jennings, Maxwell, Onions, Parry

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 18:25
The Lawman has spoken about the farcical end to the last game - he knows we were reduced to chicanery to get out of jail on our over rate.

He also spoke about a discussion with the players, to the effect that they had got themselves into the mess with Northants, and it was down to them to bail themselves out "with something" from the match.

OK. take him at his word. Lessons learned and we resolve to do much better.

He's had a look at the players and how they responded to a deteriorating situation, and let's hope he's forming his impressions and plans accordingly.

We go again tomorrow!

10 April, 2019 18:55
The big question ahead of this match is not what Middlesex’s line-up or over-rate will be, but will an upside-down Specsavers sign appear the correct way round by the time play starts? It is either clever advertising or evidence that whoever put up the sign should get their eyes tested at somewhere like Vision Express, Boots or, actually I can’t think of any other chains of opticians.

It would come as a bit of a surprise to me if we make any changes for this match, as I have confidence that the players who didn’t have the best of matches last week are capable of performing better in this match. Also, the only matches we have in the four weeks after this match are eight 50-over matches, so some players will get time to rest if they are not in our Royal London Cup plans or if we rotate throughout that competition. However, Paul Stirling and Tom Helm both have strong claims why they should play in this match, so there is every chance we will make a change or two.

Lancashire’s squad looks very strong, so if we play as badly during this match as we did on the first two days v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road, then we will be in big trouble.

Ahead of this match, Steven Finn has spoken to ECB Reporters Network, while Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page:

11 April, 2019 20:03
It seemed like it was a good day for Middlesex when we were 126-1. Even at 199-4, it wasn’t going too badly. However, to close on 236-9 feels like a disappointment. Toby Roland-Jones and Tim Murtagh are capable of getting us past 250, although I wouldn't count on it. When we bowl, we will have to do well, otherwise we will be in a difficult position in the match.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this match, as Lancashire are a strong side, with several internationals and excellent county players. Indeed, no fast bowler has taken more Test wickets than James Anderson’s 575, and no fast bowler or non-Sri Lankan has taken more Test wickets on one ground than Anderson’s 103 at Lord’s. Therefore, I was hopeful that we could have made a strong start in this match, otherwise Lancs could get onto the front foot and stay there.

In the Know Your Cricket game, I predicted that Nick Gubbins would score runs and that the first innings score would be 250-299. Therefore, I am happy about Gubbo’s 55, and have an extra incentive to hope we can add at least 14 more in the morning. I have also predicted that Murtagh will take wickets and that we will win, as I am reluctant to predict us to lose unless I am low on faith in the team, and a look at the history of early-season matches at Lord’s as well the weather forecast makes me doubtful this will be a draw. However, I can't help but feel that Lancs are likelier to win this match.

The fact we batted out the day means the chances of the match going into Sunday are higher than had a dozen or more wickets fallen, so that may increase the amount of this match I can attend. The bad news for me is that Lancs got through their overs at a decent rate, as play didn’t run far beyond 6:00pm tonight, and their over-rate was +2, not least because Glenn Maxwell got through 20 overs. However, I am 100% certain that our bowlers will take their time tomorrow to leave lots of play for me to see after work!

Lancashire’s wicket-keeper Alex Davies had to leave the field at some point, which Lower Mound says was due to illness, although I have read it was due to injury. Even if he recovers, I believe that that the regulations say that the fact he spent time off the field means he won’t be able to bat until a certain length of time into Lancs’ innings, in which case I imagine Haseeb Hameed will open with Keaton Jennings. So, Lancs will still have two strong opening batsmen.

After scoring 75 to justify his retention in the side for this match, Stephen Eskinazi has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

Oh, and the Specsavers signs were all the correct way around.

[edited to correct spelling and grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 23:29 by Jonathan Winsky.

adelaide (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 20:41
JW

My impression from the stream was that Davies damaged something when he dropped Gubbins and the commentators later said something about a bruised palm. That wasn't an easy chance but the one Maxwell put down off Eskinazi looked much easier. From what I could see Eski looked much more secure than Gubbins, who was driving Anderson to distraction by not edging the ball.

Assuming it's not my monitor, the pitch looked surprisingly ungreen, which in turn meant that the team selections looked odd, though Lancs did have Maxwell to bowl spin. Rather oddly, there seemed to be a pattern of parallel lines . Almost as if a very thin rake ... no, stop it! Never judge a pitch until both sides have batted, of course, but it looked a good batting surface to me.

I did wonder whether more aggression against Bohannon and Maxwell would have been in order, so as to make the most of the periods between Anderson's spells. But I suppose if people had got out that way we would have been moaning about poor shot selection!

Adelaide

hdo (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 23:05
I thought it was quite harsh for our scoreboard to describe one of the Lancashire fielders as "subpar", but perhaps I wasn't reading it properly.

11 April, 2019 23:25
Paul Edwards has produced a report of today for Cricinfo.

The report confirms that Alex Davies injured himself when he dropped Nick Gubbins. The injury caused Lancashire to call for a guest to keep wicket, and the call was answered literally, as Brooke Guest stepped in to keep wicket.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 07:29
Take a look at Jimmy Anderson's figures:

21-7-41-3

I watched him from side on for a while, to savour the joy and economy of his action. When will we see his like again, bowling in a Division 2 CC match at Lord's?

Bowling to Malan, he appeared to be cruising in, almost bowling lollipops. Overpitched one, and Malan drove him on the front foot through extra cover.

The next ball, Anderson ran in with real intent, and the next.One of these beat the bat.

Turning to the square leg umpire, Dawid asked how many balls were left in that over. The Umpire showed one.

That was the ball that got him. There was pretty much nothing Dawid could do about it. He had to offer a stroke, it was too quick for him to withdraw his bat at the last minute, and the ball ended up in first slip's hands.

I encourage all that can attend to go and see him - possibly for the last time in a county game at the home of cricket.

This match has the makings of a real tussle, although someone has to bowl as well as that for us first.

If that happens, then 4th day could be epic.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 14:15
We're clearly a club that puts country before county. Jennings and Hameed could be a fine partnership for the Ashes and we're making sure both find form and some fluency.

Nice buffet, mind.

hdo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 14:43
We've barely troubled the stumps so far, with the exception of Murtagh. The two batsmen look completely in control.

And there was me thinking we could knock one of them over early, and get into the likes of Jones, Guest and the injured Davies.

hdo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 17:42
Well, I was dismissive of Jones in my last post, but I bet he wishes he could play us every week. We can't ever get him out. Remember when he carried his bat for his debut century?

12 April, 2019 20:43
Middlesex will begin tomorrow with a fairly new ball (just 8 overs old), and for the purposes of both our position in the match and bonus points, it is vital that we make use of having a newish ball, otherwise Lancashire would be on course to get into an impregnable position, and we would have to forget about achieving three bowling points. Indeed, it is far from certain whether we will achieve a second bowling point, as we still need two more wickets in the next 22 overs.

As Lancashire have a really strong side, there isn’t much shame in being on the back foot against them, although of course I would prefer it if our position in the match was closer to theirs. The fact they are a strong side makes me pessimistic about our chances of making one of our famous comebacks in this match.

Something that gives us hope is that it is uncertain whether Alex Davies will be able to bat for Lancs. However, they must feel confident they can win with 10 players able to bat.

From an England point of view, it is great news about Haseeb Hameed’s return to form, with this being his first County Championship century since August 2016. He is still only 22, so he has plenty of time to return to Test cricket. However, I would have obviously preferred him to have come good against another county. After seeing off our four fast bowlers, I am sure he was disappointed to end up falling to Dawid Malan to just the second ball after I had arrived. However, I would have liked to have seen some more wickets after that.

Paul Edwards has once again produced a report of today for Cricinfo.

After playing a role in both of the bonus points we have so far achieved, Tim Murtagh has spoken to our YouTube page:

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 09:57
Now on the backfoot. A lot of hard work now required to save the game from this position.

C'mon The Middle.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 10:45
Irrespective of Middlesex loyalties Hameed's innings has to be great for English cricket. He looked like the player he was three years ago. A few more knocks like that and he must surely come back into the reckoning as an opener or number three for the test side. Whoever he spoke to over the winter has done great job in clearing Hameed's mind, which I'm sure is where the problem was (as is so often the case when a batsman goes through a prolonged bad run).

Photographic duties at football this afternoon mean I won't be there today but I'll be there tomorrow to watch the completion of a brilliant comeback/finish of an abject defeat (delete as applicable).

hdo (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 15:46
Well, it's official - we can't get Rob Jones out. We didn't manage it in 2 innings last time, and he's just notched another ton today. Every other bowling attack he's faced in his short career so far has made him look bang average, but not ours.

I've been watching the live stream all day and I'm horrified at some of our bowling. Harris has been chucking it all over the place. Even when Jones was on 99, Finn gave him an absolute doozy, short and wide outside off stump, which he easily slashed straight to the fence. Very disappointing, and we'll be lucky to get away with a draw if we can bat well tomorrow.

tallliman (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 17:04
Bit of a collapse since tea, 413/8. The over rate is +1!

13 April, 2019 21:37
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Middlesex will begin tomorrow with a fairly new ball (just 8 overs old), and for the purposes of both our position in the match and bonus points, it is vital that we make use of having a newish ball, otherwise Lancashire would be on course to get into an impregnable position, and we would have to forget about achieving three bowling points. Indeed, it is far from certain whether we will achieve a second bowling point, as we still need two more wickets in the next 22 overs

Well, my hopes of Middlesex taking some early wickets to keep down Lancashire’s lead and to add to our one overnight bowling point were not fulfilled. Indeed, we didn’t achieve our second bowling point, let alone our third. I can only think of about two consolations in relation to our bowling performance. One consolation is that Lancs did not (whether this be through inability or through not attempting) up their run rate despite the carrot of a fourth batting point and despite the fact they were facing a tiring bowling attack, which meant their lead wasn’t as high as it could have been. Another consolation is that our over rate reached +1 (and I think that is where it remained when Lancs’ final wicket fell) thanks to the amount of bowling Dawid Malan did.

Then again, perhaps it would have helped us had Lancs aimed to achieve a fourth batting point, as it could have created chances for us to take the wickets needed for a second bowling point. If I was a Lancs supporter, I wouldn’t have been happy about the fact they didn’t achieve a fourth batting point.

If we are to avoid defeat, we will have to bat for the vast majority of tomorrow. As Lancs spent much of their first innings in little difficulty, hopefully it won’t be too hard for us to save the match. However, we will be facing a strong bowling attack, and the fact we sent in a nightwatchman increases the likelihood of Lancs getting the lift of taking an early wicket tomorrow.

Rob Jones may enjoy batting against us, but Malan surely enjoys bowling against Lancs, as he took 5-61 against them at Aigburth in 2012.

I am sure that a lot people would have found it Swede had Steven Finn dismissed Dane Vilas, but there was Norway that was going to happen. I am not sure if Finn has an injury, as I think he left the field after bowling the 120th over of Lancs’ innings, and I would have usually expected him to have come in as nightwatchman rather than James Harris.

Paul Edwards has produced a report of today for Cricinfo.

Harris has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

Ollie Rayner has spoken the Cricketer about various things.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net