cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Only Connect
rod/ed (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 21:19
Our glorious team were the final clue in a sequence on Only Connect. Sadly the connection was Zombie names concluding we don't exist!
I'm sure Seaxe_Man will correct them!

Re: Only Connect
Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 19:34
Too right Rod/Ed. Ignorance is bliss for some people. I'm sure Northants recognised our existence as our Mx batters held on

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 15:09
I believe Rod that the appropriate government minister has instructed local authorities to use historic county names. One example. Watford FC now back in Hertfordshire rather than in norf lunnon according to media blockheads.

adelaide (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 19:27
Sounds like the sort of populist nonsense that Eric Pickles would have come up with.

If Bournemouth council were to be told that they had to advertise themselves as being within Hampshire rather than the Dorset they have been within for 45 years, I imagine they would have nodded sagely in front of him, filed it away and hoped that the minister's medication would kick in. Just imagine your council tax demand from Bournemouth, Hampshire, including a precept from Dorset CC!

Watford has never, ever been part of London BTW, so you can't blame politicians for what the media blockheads do - in this case. They probably look at the M25 or the tube map.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 22:20
We will agree to disagree about that Adelaide. As it happens as a 13 year old boy scout I went to camp in Bournemouth then in Hampshire in 1951. It was shunted into Dorset to suit the political clowns as it suited them to increase the tax base in Dorset. This means more jobs for people of their Ilk. I see one bloke got a 600 grand Golden goodbye oop North. No wonder there are so many holes in the road.

adelaide (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 10:40
SM

Come off it! If it increased Dorset's tax base, it decreased Hampshire's, so no overall effect on the number of jobs for people "of their ilk".

I find the attachment to a particular set of borders established on a particular date to be rather touching, a belief in the absolute wisdom of people "of that ilk" at that time. I imagine that on that date there were plenty grumbling about changes to the previous set of historic boundaries! Even the boundary between England and Scotland has moved over the centuries.

Going back to the quiz, what were the other zombie names? If Middlesex CCC was the fourth it would only have been an example rather than the right answer. so it probably does not make sense to ask whether the quizzers got it.

Adelaide

Fozzie (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 19:25
One was the MOT Test - as in Ministry of Transport.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 20:43
First clue was OBE the reason being there no longer is an empire.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 21:35
Quote:
adelaide
SM
Come off it! If it increased Dorset's tax base, it decreased Hampshire's, so no overall effect on the number of jobs for people "of their ilk".

I find the attachment to a particular set of borders established on a particular date to be rather touching, a belief in the absolute wisdom of people "of that ilk" at that time. I imagine that on that date there were plenty grumbling about changes to the previous set of historic boundaries! Even the boundary between England and Scotland has moved over the centuries.

Going back to the quiz, what were the other zombie names? If Middlesex CCC was the fourth it would only have been an example rather than the right answer. so it probably does not make sense to ask whether the quizzers got it.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 21:41
You are very defensive of the polical clowns. Moving Bournemouth into Dorset increased their business and local rates massively as apart from Weymouth nota lot of consequence. The political clowns reckoning with Portsmouth and Southampton, Hampshire could spare Bournemouth. I'll back my judgement on that till the cows come home.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 21:51
Plus otherwise. Why do it if not for financial reasons. Pointless.

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 01:36
SM

The logic of the day (1974) seems to have been that large conurbations should not be split between counties. Bournemouth and Poole form a fairly large conurbation so moving one of them into an adjacent county was in line with that logic, whether you agree with it or not.

I dare say that Dorset lobbied one way and Hampshire the other. As I said before it is a zero sum game financially. Also worth remembering that if a council gains the resources of an area, it also has to take on the financial costs of providing services to that area.

The idea that medieval brokers or Victorian political clowns had a monopoly of wisdom on counties is very strange and it is surely only the passage of time that leads people to think otherwise. And things change. It may have made sense once upon a time for North Woolwich to be an enclave of Kent within Essex but would it really still make sense now?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 09:48
Adelaide interesting point about North Woolwich of which I was unaware. Another such enclave exists today.

Ie Spelthorne. One of the original Middlesex Six Hundreds which goes way back before the Middle Ages.

So named, if the areas in question, could raise one hundred men to support whoever was the head honcho in those times.

Now an enclave of Surrey on the Middlesex bank of the River.

Very likely that whoever included Middlesex County Cricket Club as a redundant name.

Is a frustrated 'doom and gloom' merchant, angry, that Middlesex is still alive and kicking 55 years after our alleged demise.

Good publicity for The Middle whatever way you look at it, though I suspect unintended.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2019 09:54 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 12:12
I suspect that the question setter just has an eye for the incongruous and amusing rather than being a Middlesex hater, SM. Rather like the observation a few weeks back that the London Overground platforms being underground while the Underground platforms are overground.

The Thames is not that much of a physical barrier by the time you get as far inland as Spelthorne. A moderate swimmer could make it across. Not much chance of that at North Woolwich! If the tides don't carry you to Gravesend or Greenwich the muck in the water (or the ferry) will get you. The ultimate enclave is that bit of Russia which you have to cross part of Poland to get to. Mind you, Poland, through no fault of its own, has had quite a few different sets of boundaries over the years.

North Woolwich's status appears to date back to just after the Norman Conquest and (like many old boundaries seems to have been down to land grabs by feudal barons. It appears to have become part of London in 1888 though all the surrounding areas remained in Essex so it was still an anomaly. The formation of Greater London sorted it out.

However, if boundaries from 1888 (or whenever) are sacrosanct, shouldn't their proponents also be vocal in claiming that North Woolwich is still in Kent? If not, why not?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:09
Enclaves everywhere Adelaide. Two Spanish ones in Morocco

adelaide (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:57
Enclaves or colonies in disguise? IIRC Nayim (of "from the halfway line" fame) hailed from one of those.

I guess that some would point to Northern Ireland as being an enclave of sorts.

I think there may have been other odd enclaves before the 1974 reorganisation, reflecting which aristocratic family owned which land or parish boundaries. Flint had two (or possibly three) enclaves - one around Wrexham, which you had to cross Denbighshire or England to reach, and the other around the village of Sealand, after the Dee was rerouted to improve the navigation. That one persists; at that point the Dee is not the border.

Best for readers to stop here unless rain (or defeat) stops play...

Wikipedia has a page on the Counties (Detached Parts) act of 1844 and another on the enclaves which survived. (I'm not too keen on any reference to Detached Parts myself...) The most surprising enclave is that the 1888 formation of the Metropolitan County of London resulted in a small area of Muswell Hill becoming an enclave of London surrounded by Middlesex! The remaining enclaves were generally eliminated over time, but not all at the same time. So the question remains - if historical boundaries were in a state of flux, why should any particular version be regarded as sacrosanct?

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net