cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Robbie White joins Essex on loan
Fozzie (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 11:51
Robbie White has joined Essex on a 2 month loan to replace the injured Adam Wheater. A chance for him to get an unbroken run of 1st XI games and some useful experience.

Here's the link to the club website.

Re: Robbie White joins Essex on loan
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 19:21
I imagine that when it was announced that Adam Wheater would be unavailable for several of Essex’s upcoming matches, many people expected that the role of their wicket-keeper would go to whoever performs that role for their 2nd XI. However, it turns out that that player is Michael Pepper, who is recovering from an appendix removal operation. Well, when Dr. Pepper is unavailable, it makes sense to instead go for an R White.

As Robbie White has scored heavily for Middlesex’s 2nd XI in the last couple of years, I was hopeful that he would have scored more than 71 runs from the five County Championship appearances he was afforded in 2018. Because of those performances, I was uncertain whether he had done enough to give himself a good chance of making further 1st XI appearances in 2019. Therefore, it is very beneficial for his career that he will get an unexpected opportunity to play 1st XI cricket for Essex over the next couple of months, and in division one of the County Championship too. Hopefully he will get lots of runs under his belt there, and also impress with his keeping.

Unlike the loan of Tom Lace - who can also keep wicket, but has yet to do so in 1st XI cricket - from Middlesex to Derbyshire, we have not insisted that White cannot play in matches against us, which means that White will play for Essex v Middlesex in the Royal London Cup at Chelmsford on Good Friday 19th April. Part of me says that we should say that he can’t play against, as that would have forced Essex to start scrambling around their youth set-up or give the gloves to someone who does not ordinarily keep wicket. However, another part of me says that it may have scuppered the loan had we had this attitude, which wouldn’t have done White any favours.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 22:23
JW. Suspect had we said that. Essex would have looked elsewhere. Good experience.

fivestar (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 09:06
Feel for Robbie, Right player Wrong County Wrong time!!

27 May, 2019 10:16
Robbie White’s loan at Essex may be about to end, as although he is named in their squad for today’s match v Kent, so too is Michael Pepper, who is hopeful of playing.

I was hopeful that White would have scored plenty of runs at Essex, but the two County Championship matches he played saw him score 41 runs, and the eight Royal London Cup matches he played saw him score 87 runs, although admittedly I don’t think he batted high up the order.

He played for Middlesex 2nd XI last week v Glamorgan at Radlett, and scored 79 and 35 batting at 3, so that may increase his chances of breaking into our 1st XI.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 May, 2019 13:20
Pepper playing for Essex today, so I guess Robbie will be playing for our 2's tomorrow.

adelaide (IP Logged)
27 May, 2019 14:21
I think most of Robbie's runs came against Surrey, so he is true MTWD.

Adelaide

Fozzie (IP Logged)
27 May, 2019 14:29
Robbie was actually named in Essex's squad along with Mike Pepper, but as Pepper has played in the last two 2nd XI games and scored a century last week, I guess it was inevitable that he would get the nod. As Pepper is returning after surgery Essex may wish to retain Robbie until they are assured of Peppsr's return to full fitness.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 June, 2019 20:53
It looked as if Robbie's loan spell at Essex would be coming to an end last week when 2nd XI keeper Michael Pepper recovered fitness and played in Essex's win over Notts. However, Pepper injured a finger, and as Adam Wheater is still also out with a hand injury Robbie is back in the side for the trip to Headingley.

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 11:37
Will Buttleman is the Essex keeper. Perhaps Robbie had got injured as well. Or Buttleman has done well enough in the Seconds to deserve a crack.

Adelaide

SpinKingCracker (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 13:45
Robbie is fit and travelled to Headingly. Just wasn't selected.

03 June, 2019 20:29
Cricinfo’s report of day one of Yorkshire v Essex says that Robbie White suffered an ankle injury in training and that his loan from Middlesex has now ended.

I can believe the assertion that he is injured, although I am uncertain about the latter assertion, as the next paragraph suggests that there is no return date in sight for Adam Wheater, so hopefully White can return to the Essex side at some point, although that depends on how long it is until his injury heals, on the form and fitness of Michael Pepper and Will Buttleman, and on whether White is required for Middlesex’s 1st XI.

SpinKingCracker (IP Logged)
06 June, 2019 14:29
My earlier comment, a couple of days ago, was inaccurate - sorry, not trying to create ''fake news''. The 2019 Essex wicketkeeper's curse took hold of Robbie White too. Rolled his ankle in the warm up at Headingly - quite badly apparently, and out for potential 4 to 6 weeks. Not good.

adelaide (IP Logged)
06 June, 2019 23:54
Quote:
SpinKingCracker
My earlier comment, a couple of days ago, was inaccurate - sorry, not trying to create ''fake news''. The 2019 Essex wicketkeeper's curse took hold of Robbie White too. Rolled his ankle in the warm up at Headingly - quite badly apparently, and out for potential 4 to 6 weeks. Not good.

I misread your user name first time round, For a moment I thought Philip Green had joined MTWD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net