cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Maxwell Leaves Middlesex All At Sea Dead and Buried
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:33
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2019 17:07 by BarmierKev.

Re: Maxwell Leaves Middlesex All At Sea Dead and Buried
Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:46
The final part of the report seems to have been lost in transmission:

Quote:
The white flag was finally raised with the introduction of Robson at the Pavilion End with 12runs needed. Guest tried to cut a ball that was far too close for the shot and edged into his stumps. Things were starting to get silly and they got sillier in Robson’s second over as, with five needed, Maxwell decided to finish it in one shot. His first attempt was edged at high speed into some part of Simpson’s anatomy (I suspect the gloves, but purely in self-preservation on Simmo’s part), the second was caught by Harris at mid-off two-thirds of the way back. That, though, was thew end of the fun and the win was secured by Jones and Hameed in the next over, finishing at around 4.55 with the over rate at +2.

hdo (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:04
Thanks for confirming that Hollman was the sub fielder - it wasn't mentioned on the Cricinfo scorecard, and the commentary team weren't able to identify who it was.

Kevin Hand was far too busy, as usual, farting around making unfunny jokes, recounting dull anecdotes about his hilarious japes with the commentators from other counties, reading out his Twitter feed word for word, and talking about cake and Star Wars. And he was still a more helpful commentator than Izzy Westbury, whose commentary was consistently at odds with what was actually happening on the pitch.

BREARS (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:08
Glad Im not the only one fed up with Hand. He really is so poor compared to other counties commentators

BREARS (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:09
As for Ms Westbury, she seems to be passing time until the wine bar opens.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:11
And report updated

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

hdo (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:56
Quote:
BREARS
Glad Im not the only one fed up with Hand. He really is so poor compared to other counties commentators

As far as I'm concerned, he has the best job in the world - a job which I'd dearly love to do myself. So it's one thing that I'm jealous of him already, but the fact that he does the job so poorly is even more frustrating to me!

adelaide (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 00:55
I wonder if the Kevin Hand thing is a bit of familiarity leading to contempt? All commentators have their quirks, be they aeroplane spotting (Emerson) or repeating the same thing with words in a different order (Church does that a lot - does that a lot does Churchy).

In other words, fans of all counties probably think their guy is the worst because they are the one they hear all the time.

They also suffer from the live camera feeds as we can all see when they've got the batsmen mixed up or described a stroke as something quite different to what we have just witnessed.

I was both surprised and delighted to come across the live internet commentaries a few years ago and I would not like to see excessive criticism resulting in their removal. The live camera feed has not rendered them redundant because if something happens off camera you have very little idea what has happened.

When they get players or coaches in the commentary box you can get genuine insight and hat is partly down to the relationship with the commentators. I am less enamoured of the "characters" who are often used as sidekicks and who think they are funny, even when the joke has been told twenty times before.

Adelaide

BREARS (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:19
I cant stand the giggling

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 11:27
Excellent and comprehensive report HR. You certainly covered the proceedings that I watched.

Of the wickets to fall. A propensity by our batsmen to waft outside the off stump without discernible foot movement seems to be avoidable.

The corridor of uncertainty as known.

As I was at the ground, the commentary fortunately it seems, from comments made, wafted over me.

Ms Westbury wrote a report in the Telegraph.

In the lower seats of the Upper Compton Stand out of the wind. The sun when out was very pleasant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2019 11:28 by Seaxe_man1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net