Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 2nd X1 cricket 2019
chunkyinargyll 23 May, 2019 18:25
Glamorgan just hung on for the draw, ending on 280-9

Bamber 3-33
Finn 2-36
Sowter 2-72
Walallawita 2-58

Barber 9 wides. I promise this will be the last time I mention Barber and wides, as people are perfectly capable of looking at the scorecard for themselves.

The live stream was unreliable, but at least I can now say I've seen Allen and Jardine bat together (briefly in partnership for Glamorgan)

Mark Drukker 23 May, 2019 19:27
The souvenir booklet for Hants v Notts on the Isle of Wight has 5 action pictures from Hants v Middx 2nd XI, which was regarded as a dress rehearsal for the new ground.

Yeabsley went to my school, as did David Baddiel, Matt Lucas, James Hunt etc., and I was in the same class as, and friendly with, Chris Squire of "Yes".

In the 1950s I was in Cubs in Wembley with a bloke called Winsky.

Jonathan Winsky 23 May, 2019 23:01
My dad is Leon Winsky (who I often refer to on MTWD as Lower Mound), and he says that he and his brother Philip remember Mark Drukker from Cubs. My dad and Philip both attended Copland school (now Ark Elvin Academy), which is mainly associated with being attended by the footballer Raheem Sterling. Another footballer who attended at the same time as my dad was Gerry Gurr, who went on to play in goal for Southampton.

As I made a mess of my education due to my behavioural problems, I didn’t last long at the two mainstream schools I attended, and completed my primary education at Vernon House, which Sterling attended a few years after I did. Most people who attended Vernon House have a statement of educational needs, but I think the reason why Sterling went there was because of problems at a previous primary school. Like Sterling, it was recommended that I should return to mainstream education when my time at secondary school started in year 7, although the school I went to was Preston Manor rather than Copland, which I think was due to Preston Manor being seen as the best mainstream secondary school in Brent for special needs pupils, and also because it is the closest secondary school to me. However, I didn’t behave well at Preston Manor, and kept on getting suspended or sent home, so my mum decided to withdraw me from the school in the second month of year 8, as she got fed up with constantly being phoned up to be asked to collect me. Therefore, I don’t feel in a position to boast about having attended the same school as Barnet FC manager Darren Currie or Harrow East MP Bob Blackman. After five months without a school, I completed my secondary education at Delamere Forest School in Cheshire, although I don’t think anyone famous attended there. However, before I joined Delamere, the headteacher for the best part of 25 years was Stuart Lewis, who I was told was one of Britain’s youngest headteachers when he began the role, and whose son Martin is very well-known for his financial journalism.

However, I am not sure what all this has to do with Middlesex 2nd XI.

chunkyinargyll 24 May, 2019 06:42
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

However, I am not sure what all this has to do with Middlesex 2nd XI.

It has nothing to do with Mddlesex 2nd XI, Jonathan.

I'm disappointed that this time you didn't tell us about the female teacher who ended up in court for hanky panky with one of her special need pupils.

New viewers don't know what they are missing.

hdo 24 May, 2019 09:46
My incredibly tenuous school-related link to Middlesex cricket, despite having been born and bred in Kent, is having attended school with Paul Selvey-Clinton, relative (I think son, although I might be wrong) of our current President.

He played a handful of first class matches, although never made it to county level, but he was a frighteningly good cricketer at school, and if he didn't get picked up by a county, then that really emphasises the gulf between what is and isn't a professional standard of cricket.

Footnote - his cousin Richard opened the batting for Surrey for a while, and was once taken to hospital in the middle of a four day game because he'd cracked a tooth while chewing his gum too aggressively in the field.

Surbiton crusader2 24 May, 2019 11:35
Clinton seniors forenames were Grahame Selvey

SC2

hdo 24 May, 2019 14:54
Quote:
Surbiton crusader2
Clinton seniors forenames were Grahame Selvey
SC2

Yes, Grahame is Richard's father and Paul's uncle.

Jonathan Winsky 28 May, 2019 19:13
Middlesex today began a Second Eleven Championship match v Sussex at Uxbridge. Our line-up includes Robbie White, Paul Stirling, Ollie Rayner and Steven Finn.

After Jack Davies scored 49, Dan Lincoln scored 52 and Stirlo scored 105 not out, we were all out for 297. Sussex 2nd XI closed day one on 104-4.

Jonathan Winsky 29 May, 2019 19:31
Not much play took place today, with Sussex 2nd XI closing day two on 158-7.

chunkyinargyll 30 May, 2019 18:11
For the second week running the opposition escape with a draw with 9 wickets down.

Sussex finished on 210- 9

Ollie Rayner 5-41

Jonathan Winsky 04 June, 2019 19:32
Middlesex today began a Second Eleven Championship match v Essex at Bishop’s Stortford, and closed day one on 84-2, with George Scott 52 not out.

Steven Finn is once again playing, so it can’t be long before he is fit enough for our 1st XI.

Jonathan Winsky 05 June, 2019 20:21
Middlesex 2nd XI were all out for 362, with George Scott going on to make 160. However, the only other score better than Jack Davies’s 25 and the 31 extras was the 93 which Andy Rishton made at number 9. I have no idea why extras has been relegated to the 2nd XI.

Due to yesterday’s weather, the two teams then forfeited an innings each, making than Essex 2nd XI required 363. They closed day two on 35-1.

JRe: 2nd X1 cricket 2019
WayOutWest 06 June, 2019 08:16
Just the four Berkshire players in the 2nds this week, Lincoln, Davies, Woods and Rishton. Chuck in Andersson and the sadly departed Higgins (as well as Bamber who played for Berkshire but clearly a Middlesex product).

Not a bad production line from a Minor County that has dominated that scene in recent seasons.

Jonathan Winsky 06 June, 2019 19:30
Middlesex 2nd XI won this match by 50 runs after our spinners caused Essex 2nd XI to collapse from 200-2 to 312 all out. Nathan Sowter helped his chances of returning to our County Championship side by taking 5-74, although I am not sure if the same can be said for Steven Finn, as he did not take a wicket in 18 overs. Thilan Walallawita took 3-57, while Andy Rishton was the only pace bowler (well, I assume he is a pace bowler) to take wickets, as he finished with 2-42.

Jonathan Winsky 18 June, 2019 20:02
Middlesex today started a Second Eleven Championship match v Somerset at Southgate, with our line-up including captain Max Holden, Toby Roland-Jones and Ethan Bamber.

Somerset certainly had the better of the 16.3 overs bowled today, as we reached 43-4.

It doesn’t appear to be possible on the match centre on our official website to get the line-up of the team who fields first until they have batted. Somerset’s official website says that their line-up includes Marcus Trescothick, Eddie Byrom and Josh Davey.

Haringey Racer 18 June, 2019 20:34
Given the weather forecast I decided I couldn't face the trip by public transport from Southgate to Radlett - as it turned out I was wrong - so I ran a few errands before popping across to the Walker Ground expecting an hour before the rain. As it turned out it was closer to 80 minutes. The openers, de Caires and Carter, didn't last long, nor did No 4 Davies; Lincoln looked solid until he missed one and was lbw but Max Holden and Toby Roland-Jones looked a cut above the rest.

Had a bit of chat with Gatt, having overheard him tell one of the youngsters how he and Clive Radley sometimes had to "bat ugly". I expressed the view that in my memory Rad's batting was never a thing of beauty (which Gatt disagreed with slightly) but was undoubtedly effective (which got 100% agreement).

Mike TA1 19 June, 2019 11:18
Nice to have a live stream of the match.

Jonathan Winsky 19 June, 2019 19:33
Middlesex 2nd XI took their score to 161-9, before the rain brought proceedings to a close. Max Holden (70) and Toby Roland-Jones (63) shared 120 for the fifth wicket, although our only other double-figure source of runs were extras’ 20 and Atharva Prasad’s 11.

chunkyinargyll 20 June, 2019 13:48
We declared on 183-9.

Narcus Trescothick, whose form has plummeted for Somerset this seaon was dismissed for four by Ethan Bamber. They are currently 55-5.

I don't know if they go in for 'rotation' in the second XI, or if he has an injury, or some other reason, but no Tom Barber in this match.

Oh, and well done Josh Davey, 5-24 in our innings.

Seaxe_man1 23 June, 2019 19:15
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
For the second week running the opposition escape with a draw with 9 wickets down.
Sussex finished on 210- 9

Ollie Rayner 5-41
there were a few loose shots by Sussex which didn't impress their coach. However, their last batsman I think number 6, didn't oblige and he saw it out to the close. Weather a lot better than at Worcester the previous day.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net