cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Nathan Sowter
MB (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 09:43
Not seen much of Nathan Sowter, obviously he is seen as mainly a one day player as he has only played one red ball game for us.

So I was just after thoughts as to whether he would bring more to the team than Ollie Rayner as the season progresses

Re: Nathan Sowter
20 April, 2019 09:50
We could do worse than give him an extended run.
It appears Ollie Rayner is only in the team for his slip fielding a luxury Middlesex cant afford with our current squad

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 11:21
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
It appears Ollie Rayner is only in the team for his slip fielding a luxury Middlesex cant afford with our current squad

Given the unreliabilty of our other slip "catchers" (for want of a better term) we can't afford not to include Ollie when he's available. Reliable slip catching isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 12:41
Poor old Ollie Rayner often seems to get a bad rap on here.

Often selected when spin wasn't expected to play a part (opposition spinner also failing to pick up a shed load of wickets) simply because some variety is usually desirable, and a better fielder than the now departed Ravi Patel, and potentially a better batsman. Also handy to keep the over rate out of the red, and at least keep the scoring rate down. Patel tended to play with, or instead of Rayner when the track was thought to assist spin.

I'd like Rayner to get a run of games in helpful conditions, so his output can be compared to the opposition spinner.

I guess Middlesex would say the decision to keep Sowter, rather than Patel is already reaping dividends. Clearly a better fielder (although Patel seemed to improve a bit in that regard last season) and also potentially a better batsman (might be capable of a 50 once or twice a season batting at 9)

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 00:14
As Ollie Rayner is aged 33, in the final year of his contract at Middlesex and is uncertain whether he will get another contract, it feels that Nathan Sowter is more the future than Rayner, which will increase the likelihood of Sowter - who is aged 26 - breaking into the County Championship side. That is probably Sowter’s next target, as the departure of Ravi Patel and the fact Rayner hasn’t played any List A matches since 2017 or any Twenty20 matches since 2016 meant that Sowter’s place in our limited-overs sides this season already seemed assured before he further cemented it with six wickets v Essex at Chelmsford.

I know that Rayner is unhappy about the fact he often seems to play in difficult conditions or if a lot of pressure is put on him to win matches in great conditions for spin. He certainly showed what he is capable of when he took 15 wickets v Surrey at The Oval, although admittedly that was getting on for six years’ ago. If he can’t break into our side, then it would be difficult for him to prove that he is worth another contract.

As well as Sowter, two other spinners I would have thought we would like to give opportunities to are Thilan Walallawita and Luke Hollman if they impress in our 2nd XI, so that makes things harder for Rayner.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 08:42
I would be of the opinion that Sowter deserves a chance. In all my time following Middlesex we must be the worst county for giving spin a chance.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 09:54
Ollie Rayner is set to play for Germany in the European stage for qualification for the 2020 World Twenty20 tournament, which takes place in Guernsey between 15th and 20th June 2019. This will directly clash with Middlesex’s County Championship match v Glamorgan at Radlett and comes just after we play Leicestershire at Grace Road, so I can see Nathan Sowter playing at least one of those matches.

This qualification event is two stages away from the finals of the World Cup Twenty20, which will take place in Australia in October-November 2020. The best team from the tournament in Guernsey will progress to a tournament in UAE at the end of 2019 which will determine who qualifies for the finals alongside the nine ICC full members who had the highest ranking as of 31st December 2018.

21 April, 2019 18:01
Quote:
Haringey Racer
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
An
Given the unreliabilty of our other slip "catchers" (for want of a better term) we can't afford not to include Ollie when he's available. Reliable slip catching isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.
I would strongly debate the strategy of selecting a player purely for his slip catching when that player does not score runs or take wickets. I thought we had 3 or 4 good slip fielders.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 17:30
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Quote:
Haringey Racer
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
An
I would strongly debate the strategy of selecting a player purely for his slip catching when that player does not score runs or take wickets. I thought we had 3 or 4 good slip fielders.

Agree Freddie. A luxury to play a player when only one of three skills are consistent.

Nathan Sowter deserves a run. He is also an excellent fielder in the outfield.

As WOW states our record over the last decade in nurturing and developing spin is diabolical.

Spin to win in any format remains essential. Ross Taylor who is recruited for 5 RLC games is at least Ollie Rayner's equal in the slip catching department.

BREARS (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 17:33
At last people are realising Rayner is a luxury we can ill afford at the moment. Sowter needs to be in the championship side.

26 April, 2019 12:49
Has Sowter played any championship games yet? He seems to be the best spin option in our rather threadbare cupboard. He is a great outfielder and at least on a par with Rayner as a batsman.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 14:38
Ollie is playing for the MCC young cricketers versus Surrey second eleven at LSE sports ground at the moment...

SC2

adelaide (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 16:38
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Has Sowter played any championship games yet? He seems to be the best spin option in our rather threadbare cupboard. He is a great outfielder and at least on a par with Rayner as a batsman.

I think he played in that awful defeat against Warwickshire at Lord's a couple of years ago.

I think we have to remember that bowling to take wickets in the CC against traditional batting is quite different to bowling in one day matches against batsmen who have to try and score. Some of the good balls in T20 would be dross in the CC!

But unless we play him in the CC we will never know if he is suited to the format.

Adelaide

tallliman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 18:38
You're right Adelaide and he barely got a bowl!

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2019 11:09
Let us hope Sowts gets a better deal than Patel did. The high point of Patel's career( Lions selection in 2014), was followed by seven CC starts up until Johnson took over in July last year.

He then disappeared for good, with Johnson playing Rayner as a fielder in a couple of games as his replacement.

Says it all with regard to how spin was viewed by the previous regime.

Sowts has already proved his worth in the RLC. He now needs CC time. Our opening two matches say, not a huge risk varietywise on the attack front.

Certainly a problem versus Lanky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2019 11:13 by Seaxe_man1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net