cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Middlesex v Gloucestershire RLC 21st April
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 14:00
Unchanged squad announced.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2019 11:32 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Gloucestershire RLC 21st April
lower pavilion (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 14:48
Unchanged squad is of course no surprise.

I will be going on Sunday. Lovely weather is the forecast. Let us hope for another Middlesex victory.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 23:24
Although Middlesex’s official website proudly proclaims that we have “won three of the last four List-A match-ups” v Gloucestershire, I doubt our recent record against them is so great when looking back over a longer period and when Twenty20 results are added, which is a testament to how strong Glos are at limited-overs matches.

I wouldn't have thought we will make any changes from yesterday’s line-up, unless we feel that the conditions would suit James Harris more than one of the other fast bowlers. Hopefully we won’t undo the good work of yesterday. Glos will probably feel similarly about their start to their campaign after their 147 run win v Surrey on Wednesday.

Glos have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Chris Dent (c), George Hankins, James Bracey, Miles Hammond, Gareth Roderick, Benny Howell, Jack Taylor, Ryan Higgins, Graeme van Buuren, Tom Smith, Daniel Worrall, Matt Taylor and Christopher Liddle. They will be without Ian Cockbain due to a calf injury, which is a big blow considering his recent record against us.

I will be there tomorrow, although my football addiction will prevent me from attending the entirety of our two other group stage matches at Lord’s (although I might be able to get to a bit of play before or after going to football). I was looking forward to attending the match v Glamorgan on Sunday 5th May, until Chelsea v Watford was moved to that day. Arsenal are also playing on two of three days Middlesex have matches at Lord’s. I suppose it is that time of year.

21 April, 2019 17:58
I assume all MTWDiers at the match- so no posts.

A nice comprehensive victory, although the were times when Glos looked like posting 300-320, which night have made life trickier.

And an intelligent use of our batting resources, with Eski and Gubbo (who clearly is a one day player), in the right place in the order to steady things if the first four don't come off.

adelaide (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 18:59
I'm sure that BREARS is delighted that Gubbins did not get his century.

A win set up by the last 15 overs or so of the Glos innings. None of the batsmen that followed Bracey managed a run a ball (except Worrall). I was expecting Higgins to bash it about a bit.

Adelaide

21 April, 2019 19:34
Kevin Hand interviewing Eski and Gubbo.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 19:55
A good win, the wickets in the gloucs innings with 15 overs to go really derailed them leaving them short. Record 5th wicket partnership saw us home despite the mock booing as Gubbins failed to get his ton.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 20:25
The scorecard will suggest that it was a comfortable win for Middlesex, and it indeed more or less was, as Gloucestershire didn’t look like passing 300, and our rate required was always the right side of 6.00.

When James Bracey and Benny Howell were going well, Glos would have hoped to have made a big total, but they didn’t have many big overs against Nathan Sowter, Paul Stirling or Dawid Malan, who kept the run rate down in a similar way to how they did on Friday.

Although the rate required never felt like a problem for us, our target felt a look way away when we slipped from 34-0 to 36-3. Even though the next partnership yielded 67 before Eoin Morgan was out, the loss of Morgan meant that I felt that we really needed at least one of Stephen Eskinazi and Nick Gubbins to make a big score, otherwise it would have left a lot for George Scott and our bowlers. I was tempted to remark to Lower Mound at that stage that I couldn’t see us winning unless at least one out of Eski or Gubbo made about 80+. Therefore, it was very helpful that Eski scored his maiden List A hundred and that Gubbo nearly made three figures too.

It used to seem that our ability to post big totals or chase large targets in limited-overs matches was dependent on Paul Stirling, Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan making big scores and lasting long, and that the fun was over if they were back in the pavilion or not in the side. Therefore, it bodes well for the rest of the season that we have won two matches despite Stirlo, Malan and Morgan having only one 50 between them so far in our Royal London Cup campaign, and with Gubbo, Eski and Scott all having made big contributions.

Most supporters in this position would be tempted to fancy their team’s chances of winning the tournament. However, as I am so used to us struggling in this format, the height of my ambitions is to get into the knockout stage!

I was hopeful that a look at the table would show that few other teams can boast two wins from two. However, three other teams from the south group as well as two from the north group have such a record. Still, that is much better than a 100% loss record!

SouthgateEmerald (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 20:47
Went with son 2 today. Great day out. Contributions from the less heralded bats very welcome. I can’t remember the last time Howell hex us........

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 21:14
Great win today,after bit of a shakey start batting wise.
Eski and Gubbo partnership was wonderful to watch,shame Gubbo didn't reach his ton,but,hey ho one will be along soon.
Liked the mock booing,shows how we wanted Gubbo to reach his ton,all done in jest!
Yep,great win..2 from 2.
Hampshire away on St George's day,then those south of the border...

MIDDLE,MIDDLE,MIDDLE.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 22:57
I was at Lord's today.

Lovely weather, great company as usual, and we played rather well.

I must confess, when we lost our 4th wicket I feared the worst. However, I should not have worried. A wonderful 5th wicket stand led us to an emphatic victory.

We have now won our opening two games in the 50 over competition.

I believe this is the last season that Lord's will be the venue for the 50 over domestic final, as in future it will be held at Trent Bridge. I shall say no more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2019 23:00 by lower pavilion.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 08:13
A fantastic day in good company of Glous fans who were sporting throughout. They was a standing ovation when they achieved the first extra after 205 runs. Then in our innings when we reached 89 runs for some reason. A Glous perspective match report to follow later today.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 13:45
An utterly wonderful day for the following reasons:

Kev's atrocious jokes relegated into third position by a strong panel, as a result of which I also learned two absolute stonkers.

Great company, with the conversation touching upon far too much lower league roundball, what constitutes a jewish hogroast, the inevitable menace of the H~@:&*" and the merits of the current "Fifty", the ECB's patronising attitude towards women by implying that the Mumsnet generation don't understand cricket, and some cricket in the background on a blisteringly hot day on the Upper Edo.

The mighty Seaxe Man providing the historical perspective from one side, Kev trialling various punning headlines, "Our Hopes Dented....", "Woderick weleased ......", just a taste of what we avoided, from the other.

When we passed 88, the spontaneous, unpremeditated and entirely unplanned outpourings of relief and joy at passing the mercenary Mexicans' comparable total achieved against similar opposition caused alarm among our neighbours. Our encore may have been caught on camera and passed to the authorities.

Some pointers of how the Lawman and his deputy may be tweaking things - we gave away two extra's. Neither were free - hittable.

The fielding over 50 overs in a progressvely hotter day was very good. One hard deflection that beat Tim at short fine leg and a heroic full length sprawl skid attempt to rein in a boundary hit that just missed from Toby were the only run costing blemishes.

After the explosive start from Stirlo, a series of soft dismissals, with Morgonagain flattering to deceive, it would have been easy for old ways to re-assert themselves and for us to lose our way. Amidst the clatter of wickets, Eski had already announced himself with a couple of blows, and one six must have had the entire Seaxe Club on alert for catch of the day.

Eski and Gubbo went about their business with total focus, and precision. From the Upper Edo, I was relying upon the shadow cast by the sun to help me see the white ball as it sped across the outfield. A sign of Eski being in top nick is when his scoring square on the off with that kind of chop / cut shot sends the ball racing to the ropes and this was a fine example of that. Like a lot of lefties, Gubbo's shots seem like the effortless wafting application of the surface of the bat to the ball, and he was sending it speeding to the fence too. One of the advantages of batting second was that the outfield had got faster.

We have Mala, Stirlo and Nathan to take the pace off the ball, we have dead-eye Tim to keep it tight, we have a good fielding unit to back them up.

At a recent squad meeting, the players were invited to say what they thought was a winning 50 - over total. They had a go, to be informed that if they posted "that", they would lose 90% of their matches, so would they like to think again? Witness the change.

All that was left was for us to have a final one or three with our friends from Gloucester, to hope to see them again soon, and for Kev to get involved in an impromptu tango with Simmo, and for Simmo's new "number two" smart casual uniform white shoes to get soaked in a possibly unrelated incident.

When did I last look forward to the next Middlesex 50 over match ?

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 16:03
Nice comments PH except for a trifle harsh one on Eoin. He moved the score on from a shaky 36 for 3 to 103 enabling Esky and Gubbo to finish the job.

As always EJG excellent in the field and Glaws got him out. The ball bounced a touch more than expected.

If we want to succeed then imho we need to support the team in its entirety.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net