cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The ECB,and killing the One Day Cup
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 09:05
As we all know,after this season,our friends at ecb are hell bent in killing the one day cup after this season.
Getting reduced to a 'development competition'
Not having any televised.
No overseas,or main 1st team players allowed to take part.
Moving final from Lords...now,that I can see,as lords isn't filled for the final anymore.
This years final is being played same day as England play Australia in a world cup warm up at Southampton and India play at Oval.
Many games will be played at out grounds which is a blessing,as we get to visit them.
I'm sure,like me,most,if not all,will be attending one day games next year.
Will there be sponsorship as Royal London deal conveniently ends this year?
So far,been bumper crowds and damn good games so far.
All this will be lost for the 100 rubbish.
Other views on the One Day cup demise.......

Re: The ECB,and killing the One Day Cup
oxheytyke (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 11:57
When I was a kid, the Gillette Cup was one of the highlights of the season. Big crowds with a sell-out Lords final. Plus an opportunity for minor counties to humble a first class county. Over the years, the competition has been diminished. Replacing the knock-out format with 2 divisions has produced too many dull games where counties rest first team players, thereby reducing the appeal for spectators. Towards the end of the group stages, results can be predictable where one team is striving to qualify but the opposition have nothing to play for.

The latest changes for 2020 effectively kill the tournament. Given that England players won't play, how are they supposed to prepare for international ODIs? Maybe the ECB plan to replace these with international Hundred cricket!!

tbl (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 13:51
Completely agree Beefy. It beggars belief that the ECB have invested in 50 over cricket to the degree that the mens team are favourites for the world cup (and the womens team won it) and are now abandoning 50 over cricket in favour of a new competition which has no precedents.

I wonder what the reaction of other countries will be - is there any interest in the Hundred outside the UK?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 15:09
Also,if looking at the ecb Twitter page,there hasn't been a single mention of the 50 over competition this season so far.
The ladies have had all their games ripped up after this year as well,the KIA super league just scrapped
Next year,will clubs charge entrance for the 50 over? Only going by the seconds are always just walk up and go in.
The players love the 50,we,the members/followers love the 50 over,the ecb? Nah,just bothered about the 100 garbage.
I think counties will be pleasantly surprised next year with attendances,and,maybe the final at Trent Bridge will have a bigger crowd,second 11 players,in a final? Sounds ok to me.
Just a thought..what's going to happen to second 11 games next year?

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 15:27
The great game of cricket as we know it, is dying in front of our very eyes.

I am astonished that this thread started by Beefy has attracted so few posts.

50 over competition will in affect no longer be a first class tournament. How long before the four and five day formats go the same way.

In a few years time, cricket will simply be made up of T20, and the truly dreadful 100 ball game.

This is totally disgraceful and the ECB are indeed killing this great game called cricket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2019 15:54 by lower pavilion.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 16:57
Spot on Beefy. The near sell out at Chelmsford went unreported and in the Telegraph today, unless I missed something, our game didn't even make the round up.

As usual, no doubt encouraged by their Sheffield born main cricket writer. Only the Roses game rated a report of sorts.

tallliman (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 18:17
Cricket needs to realise that it is an outstanding product that produces breathtaking moments all the time. Instead, it seeks to undermine itself all the time by gimmickry and shocking scheduling. All t16.4 will do relative to today is be heavily hyped but why we cant use that money for the current tournaments?

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 18:55
I'm making the most of this tournament hoping even more we win it, as realise this is the last year of it being a credible competition. Sad times for proper cricket.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

tbl (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 19:38
I'm wondering what will happen when the Hundred collapses. Will the ECB admit they screwed up, or will they just throw more and more money at it?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 20:44
tbl,once the 100 collapses into an unwanted heap,the two main masters of the idea would of cleared off.
Probably paying themselves a nice figure,and leaving their mess behind for everyone to clear up.
What will the mess look like? I'm worried what could be left...18 counties? 8 city style clubs? Who really knows? It really frightens me to what will be left after the 100 debacle is thrown into the rubbish bin.
Could the 50 over be resurrected back to its style we know this year? If it is,would possible sponsors come back to it?

I must admit,I'm flabbergasted that not a single person from the ecb has even been polite enough to answer just one Twitter posting looking for answers to numerous questions that have been asked from so many people across the county circuit.

I really,really fear for our game,the game we all love and watch with so much enjoyment.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 07:56
People need to show up in their thousands for next years second XI/development XI competition.

It would be wonderful if more people turned up for Derbyshire 2's v Leicestershire 2's than the hundred.

And the development competition will be the only real domestic cricket going on for 6 weeks next year, so it's get behind the second eleven or nothing for real supporters.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 09:36
Genuine county fans are all over Twitter with exactly the same views. There is a petition on change.org, if you feel inclined to sign it. I can't believe the set-up proposed for next year will last but I fear what is in the dark minds behind all this is a desire to reduce the number of 4 day championship games to 10 or even 8, which would coincide rather nicely with their other dark desire, to reduce the number of first-class counties to the same sort of number. Then you could fit all four things in. Of course they deny all this but it is very clear what the direction of travel is.

The £1.3 million promised is shrinking before the eyes of those who voted this in:

Deduct memberships money: numbers bound to fall, as they have been already, and counties have the problem with rates next year with the loss of four home 50 over games - do they reduce fees?

Deduct income from 50 over cricket - crowds have been great this BH weekend. They might charge for 50 over games next year, a small amount, but more likely free. Game sponsorship and hospitality for these games gone.

Deduct what Royal London have been paying.

Deduct the cost of taking a 50 over game to an outground.

Deduct the cost incurred when county cricket pretty much disappears for high summer and when county 50 over stuff disappear from the tv. County's sponsorship partners will not be happy.

I also think that running a 50 over team when half your usual side, or more, is playing for a franchise, and you've also lost some of your coaching staff, will produce some additional cost, but I really do have sympathies with counties and their player/coaches, trying to sort out the contractual side of things. God knows how this works but, since I suspect no one is going to lose salary, the change will be in an upward direction.

Then there is all the cost of the circus comp itself - players, coaches, etc.

How not to run a national sport.

adelaide (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 09:43
Quote:
tallliman
Cricket needs to realise that it is an outstanding product that produces breathtaking moments all the time. Instead, it seeks to undermine itself all the time by gimmickry and shocking scheduling. All t16.4 will do relative to today is be heavily hyped but why we cant use that money for the current tournaments?

It is the public who decide whether cricket is an outstanding product, or at least outstanding enough to pay money for. The customers, not the producers. By and large they don't. There are plenty of my generation who would not go near a cricket match because it is too slow, never mind two generations on.

It seems to me that part of the problem is the ECB thinking that cricket can be like football, hence chasing big money media deals and also reducing game durations to something closer to football. Better to accept that cricket is what it is, a minority interest which gets a boost when the Sandpaper Boys are here, and organise/fund it on that basis.

Having said that, we are stuck with the Hundred. I'm inclined to think that the future for real cricket (and the county structure) will be worse if it fails than if it succeeds, because of all the money that will have gone up the wall but I recognise that others take the opposite view.

BTW, I do like the new Fosters ad where the Aussie gurus give a stray cricket ball a little sandpapering. Subtle touch but nice.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 11:42
I know I'm over 12 months ahead of myself here, but can I make an early request that there are no match threads on MTWD for the hundred next year.

Clearly one of the franchises will be at Lord's, and this will be the one the ECB will expect Middlesex supporters to get behind. But it won't be Middlesex although I think they will try to fiddle it so this is the franchise most Middlesex players end up in.

Just the one thread, so we can all agree how bad it is- not individual threads for individual, irrelevant pantomime 'cricket'.

Don't give them publicity.

Oh- and individual threads for each 50 over 'development' match, obviously.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
24 April, 2019 11:07
This thread or the Madness one can be continued to be used for the nonsense next year.

I will make every effort to support the devalued 50 over tournament to try to do my bit for supporting proper cricket.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2019 18:47
A lot of very sensible comment on this thread. Both Richard Goatley and David Kendix said they hoped the 100 succeeds as Mx and the other counties are hoping for share of profits!!. A failure would be bad news they think financially. Agree with your comment chunky plus some good observations by dinghy bags.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 21:01
Sadly, I couldn't make it to today's great win at the Oval, but followed most of the match online. Not being at a computer for the tense final hour, I thought there would be a good chance that there would be commentary on Radio 5 Sports Extra - no other sport going on, only RLC match in action, and that featuring the County Champions (I'm trying to be objective here...).

And there was indeed cricket commentary on the radio - but from the IPL, not the Oval. Outrageous! I guess we can't blame the ECB this time, though...

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 23:35
I am surprised about the lack of Royal London Cup matches being shown on Sky, as matches have taken place on most days over the last week, but off the top of my head, I can only recall them showing Kent v Hampshire and Sussex v Surrey. However, that is two more matches than they are set to show next season.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 18:10
This year the 50 over comp is very early, to get it out of the way before the World Cup. For once, there is some logic in this scheduling. I am wondering, however, if the lack of games on Sky is something to do with its coinciding with the end of the football season, with so many live games being broadcast. I know Sky have lots of channels but they usually concentrate on cricket once the domestic football is out of the way. (In 2016, 50 over comp was much later, by the way.)

Just a thought.

hantssabre (IP Logged)
26 April, 2019 18:41
Totally agree with JW. I don’t care about football but it annoys me when the cricket channel shows endless repeats of old matches when there is live cricket going on around the country. Very lazy to my mind. They charge enough for their subscriptions so they ought to provide coverage and if it means cutting short the football ten so be it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net