Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Kent v Middlesex RLC 7th May 2019
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 05 May, 2019 18:59
Kent v Middlesex RLC 7th May 2019
chunkyinargyll 05 May, 2019 18:59
Despite being second on ten points, this is still a 'must win' game.

Win, and we qualify for the 'quarter-final' on Friday, and no one can stop us.

Lose, and we have to hope no more than one out of Somerset, Gloucestershire and Sussex win their final game.

Somerset and Gloucestershire have better run rates than us. We have a slightly better average than Sussex, but it is so small it is likely that if we were to lose, and Sussex win, then Sussex would almost certainly climb back above us on run rate.

Other fixtures-

Essex v Gloucestershire
Somerset v Surrey
Sussex v Glamorgan

Oh- and it's a floodlit game. Let's hope our players can put last years championship match behind them.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 20:16 by BarmierKev.

Re: Kent v Middlesex RLC 7th May 2019
Bring back the Crusaders 05 May, 2019 20:59
Our destiny is in own hands.
Maybe Ross Taylor will come good for this game as an average of 20 is a bit below expectations for an overseas player!

Jonathan Winsky 06 May, 2019 09:08
I thought that there would be a good chance that Sky would choose this as the match they will televise tomorrow, but they have opted to show Sussex v Glamorgan. I suppose that an argument can by made for each of the four matches when it comes to which is the one most worthy of being shown on Sky. Maybe they feel that Middlesex’s qualification is a done deal. Nothing is a done deal when it comes to Middlesex!

I am sure that we would rather win and secure a home play-off match for this Friday, than lose and probably either have an away play-off or miss out on qualification.

Unless we have any injuries which I am unaware of or if the conditions are unusual (e.g. maybe the pitch will hint that it demands the selection of a second spinner), I would be surprised if our XI is different from our last two matches.

Seaxe_man1 06 May, 2019 11:53
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
Our destiny is in own hands.
Maybe Ross Taylor will come good for this game as an average of 20 is a bit below expectations for an overseas player!
Taylor's 60 significant in Hacienda win. Would have probably lost without it.

chunkyinargyll 06 May, 2019 14:01
Unchanged 13 man squad-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Jonathan Winsky 06 May, 2019 18:01
Kent have named a 12-man squad for this match consisting of Heino Kuhn (Captain), Daniel Bell-Drummond, Alex Blake, Mitchell Claydon, Zak Crawley, Fred Klaassen, Matt Milnes, Harry Podmore, Imran Qayyum, Matt Renshaw, Ollie Robinson and Adam Rouse. They will be without Sam Billings due to injury and Joe Denly due to England duty, although as Middlesex have shown, having players unavailable doesn’t necessarily make a team any weaker. Oh, and there is no Grant Stewart! I assume that Darren Stevens' absence is due to ECB restrictions on how much cricket youngsters can play.

When the matches in the north group finish in the next hour, it will be known who the 2nd and 3rd placed sides in the south group will play on Friday.

Rocks&Boulders 06 May, 2019 18:07
Lancashire confirmed as finishing 3rd in the north group.

chunkyinargyll 06 May, 2019 18:11
Interesting point about Grant Stewart, JW.

I haven't been following Kent's fortunes enough to know if he is injured, but if he isn't, even if he doesn't normally feature in 50 overs, Kent have missed a trick for psychological reasons.

Rocks&Boulders 06 May, 2019 18:41
Quote:
Rocks&Boulders
Lancashire confirmed as finishing 3rd in the north group.

Nottinghamshire won the group, with Worcestershire 2nd.

Bring back the Crusaders 06 May, 2019 19:32
Having followed Middlesex for over 50 odd years and knowing we have a habit of snatching 'defeat from the jaws of victory'maybe persistent rain over Canterbury tomorrow would be the answer.
A no result would see us through in second place!
Where is the rain when you need it!!

BarmierKev 06 May, 2019 19:58
Shame for Durham having finished same points as Lanky with better NRR but had two games NR.

Moving on to tomorrow. We are on winning streak against a team with nothing to play for to guarantee qualification. What could possibly go wrong?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Primrose Hillbilly 07 May, 2019 13:26
I have to say I love the irony of your remark about the ECB protecting the evergreen Darren Stevens from overwork, Jonathan.

tallliman 07 May, 2019 13:51
76/1 off 13. Robbo the man out. Anyone else nervous?

chunkyinargyll 07 May, 2019 15:25
Well played Maxy!!!

(Sm152)

I would say all the other games are in the balance at the moment, with none of our adversaries particularly ahead or behind.

hdo 07 May, 2019 15:29
Come on then, who backed Holden in the prediction game? And who backed Robson after his last 2 innings, and now wishes they hadn't?

I chose Gubbins, as I'm sure many other people did.

chunkyinargyll 07 May, 2019 16:36
With all the first innings now complete-

We finish on 380-5

Essex 293 all out v Gloucestershire

Surrey 289-9 v Somerset

Sussex 347-4 v Glamorgan.

Looking good for us at half time, but still not able to relax and enjoy it just yet.

Splendid effort by young Maximillion. Highest individual List A score by a Middlesex player, and highest total by Middlesex in List A

And well done Kent crowd for giving him such a round of applause. Would that happen at Essex?

Exile_in_stockport 07 May, 2019 16:45
Bloody red ball players coming in and taking white ball players jobs, wouldn't have happened in my day. 😉

MiddleToWest 07 May, 2019 17:22
Not even worth checking the score. We'll win this at a canter.

middlefan 07 May, 2019 18:26
I’m not so sure. Kent are well set for a big score here. They’ll do well to beat 380 but it could happen!

Jonathan Winsky 07 May, 2019 18:27
Prior to this tournament, Middlesex’s two highest List A totals were our 350-6 v Lancashire at Lord’s in 2012 and 367-6 v Sussex at Hove in 2015. However, our recent totals of 364-6 v Somerset at Radlett, 366-8 v Essex at Chelmsford and 380-5 today mean that three of our top five List A totals have all come in this campaign!

Well done to Max Holden on his maiden List A century and on going 3 past Andrew Strauss’s 163 v Surrey at The Oval in 2008.

I predicted Ross Taylor to score runs today, as I felt that he was due to a big score, and as was the case when my batsmen on Sunday was Nick Gubbins, Taylor reached the 90s before being out. Nonetheless, Holden, Gubbo and Taylor did an excellent job today in giving us a base from which Holden, Taylor, George Scott and John Simpson could get us up to this massive total. When I looked at the score and saw us 180-2 after 31 overs, I thought that we could potentially reach 350 but would probably end up short, as apparently it is not often teams that teams double their score after 30 overs despite many people saying that teams should. Therefore, to reach 380 was a great achievement!

It would be nice had we so far taken more than one wicket in the first 18 overs and if Kent’s run rate was less than 6.00. Thankfully, that run rate is a fair bit short of what is required. Hopefully the introduction of my bowler Nathan Sowter will result in a breakthrough, especially as Kent will have to try to up their score.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net