cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Worcestershire v Middlesex, 27-30 May 2019
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 May, 2019 19:20
After Middlesex’s line-up for last week’s match v Leicestershire at Lord’s was weakened by the unavailability of Steven Finn, Dawid Malan, Tim Murtagh and Paul Stirling and strengthened by the unavailability of Eoin Morgan, it seems that all of those players other than Morgan will be available for this match. Also, I would have thought that Toby Roland-Jones will return for this match considering his absence last week was apparently due to being rested rather than through injury. Finn and Malan are currently playing in a Second Eleven Championship match v Glamorgan at Radlett in which Malan today scored 52, while Murtagh and Stirlo’s appearance for Ireland v Afghanistan today marks their final Ireland commitments until 1st July.

Despite the possibility of Finn, Murtagh and TRJ being available, I am not sure whether they will all come in for Tom Helm, Ethan Bamber and James Harris, as the latter three all had their moments v Leics. As we play seven County Championship matches in the next eight weeks, I imagine that those players will all get their chances during that period. Ollie Rayner’s four first innings wickets v Leics makes it likely he will retain his place for this match, unless the pitch appears to demand that Nathan Sowter plays too.

There was a possibility of this match beginning with Worcestershire top of the table and ourselves bottom, as the round of matches which began yesterday began with Worcs and Lancashire having a record of two wins from two, and with us two places from bottom with a 12-point lead over bottom-placed Durham. However, the way the matches from this round are going suggests that Worcs will lose to Lancs and be knocked off top spot, and that although Glamorgan are going to leapfrog us, Durham are unlikely to do so too.

I can’t help feeling that we could do with recording either two wins or one win and a draw from this match and the following week’s match v Sussex at Lord’s, as 5 of our 14 matches will have been played by that point. If we can get a win or two from these two matches, then we will have not only finally started winning, but will have also prevented two teams tipped to challenge for promotion from winning. However if we don’t do this, then despite there being 9 matches still to play, we would have lots of ground to make up and would surely need to win the majority of those matches.

Helm has spoken to ECB Reporters Network ahead of this match.

[edited as I initially wrote that our 2nd XI are currently playing a Trophy match rather than a Championship match]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 21:40 by BarmierKev.

Re: Worcestershire v Middlesex, 27-30 May 2019
21 May, 2019 19:42
The "resting" of TRJ was a curious tactic especially as we had a week off following the Leics. As an ardent conspiracy theorist, I suspect there was more to this than meets the eye. Possibly all is not well physically. Or could it be his bowling average of 181 in CC2

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 May, 2019 19:55
Next week sees my first game at New Road and we really need a win. Quite excited.

adelaide (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 00:05
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
The "resting" of TRJ was a curious tactic especially as we had a week off following the Leics. As an ardent conspiracy theorist, I suspect there was more to this than meets the eye. Possibly all is not well physically. Or could it be his bowling average of 181 in CC2

Or a message related to over rates?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 07:49
JW. TRJ was practicing on the outfield on Friday bowling at a single stump which he hit a time or two.

hdo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 09:49
I'm very excited to be attending some of this match, as I hardly ever get to see live cricket these days due to my working hours, my own mediocre cricketing exploits, and the fact that I refuse to watch T20 - and the only away matches I've ever attended in all my years of support have been local games like Surrey and Kent (where I live). But on this occasion I have a few days off work and I'm hoping to attend at least a couple of days at Worcester.

Hopefully the weather (and quality of cricket) will make it worthwhile. Those of you who attend our matches on a regular basis don't know how jealous I am!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2019 09:56 by hdo.

22 May, 2019 20:45
Worcestershire will enter this match on the back of a six wicket defeat against a Lancashire side who have thus retained their 100% win record in their County Championship campaign. Glamorgan’s two wicket win v Derbyshire, and Gloucestershire’s six wicket v Durham means that Glamorgan have leapfrogged Middlesex and that Durham have missed out on an opportunity to do so too. Indeed, Durham have now lost all four matches. If there is a result in the Northamptonshire v Sussex match, then I think the winner will go 3rd.

Ultimately, this match is set to be between the side one from top and the team one from bottom. And it is not us who are the former!

As three teams will be promoted, I suppose that it is too early to feel worried about our promotion prospects considering we will enter this match with 11 matches to play, with the points gap between ourselves and the final promotion place roughly the equivalent of what can be gained from a win. However, as I have said, the situation is unlikely to look so good if we fail to beat Worcs and/or Sussex. Last season, 6 wins were enough for Sussex to achieve a 3rd-placed finish, albeit in a season when only two teams went up. We will have to see how many wins are required in 2019, but whatever happens, we need to start winning soon, because if we fail to win our next two matches and circumstances mean that 6 wins are needed, then that would require as to win two-thirds of our final 9 matches.

22 May, 2019 21:15
Must admit second from bottom in CC div 2 was not something I envisaged at the start of the season still at least we haven't been deducted any points ............yet

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2019 22:26
JW. On what you say it seems probable 7/8 will be required as a minimum number of wins. So not much room for error from now on for Mx.

23 May, 2019 19:03
Speaking to Worcestershire’s official website, First Team Coach Alex Gidman says that it is hoped that Josh Tongue will be back for this match, although Wayne Parnell’s participation is uncertain after a hamstring injury caused him to miss the final two days of their match v Lancashire.

As there have been lots of wins around, it is surely good news for Middlesex that the Northamptonshire v Sussex match finished as a draw.

For much of this match, the chances of rain currently stands at around 10-20%, so rain is neither highly likely nor something which can be ruled-out. The installation of floodlights at Taunton leaves New Road as the only main ground to not have lights, so hopefully the light won’t be bad, because if play often gets lost at Lord’s due to bad light despite the ground having floodlights, then I am fearful about what will happen when we play at New Road, Radlett and Merchant Taylors’ School.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2019 19:07
Radlett and MTS games now have a crucial air for Mx. JW.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
24 May, 2019 09:18
I have pass out for all 4 days and I've booked my accomodation. Will be catching 9:22 from Paddington. looking forward to meeting up with familar faces and some not so in attendance who contribute to MTWD.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

rod/ed (IP Logged)
24 May, 2019 21:57
Three days for me. See you on Monday Kev.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
25 May, 2019 04:26
For those of you going to Worcester I can thoroughly recommend Foley's, the cafe in the ground, for breakfast before play. That and cake from the Ladies' Pavilion for tea, of course!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
25 May, 2019 06:27
Tuesday not looking good weather wise at the moment.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
26 May, 2019 14:19
Those that want to see Sowter get a chance ahead of Rayner will be pleased with this squad.

Also Malan back from injury (but not Finn)

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
26 May, 2019 16:45
Excellent chunky a step on the right direction if he is selected. An area neglected for a decade. His batting and fielding not to be sniffed at either.

26 May, 2019 17:56
Quote:
Bagpuss
For those of you going to Worcester I can thoroughly recommend Foley's, the cafe in the ground, for breakfast before play. That and cake from the Ladies' Pavilion for tea, of course!

tallliman (IP Logged)
26 May, 2019 17:59
Hope he has more to do than his debut v Warks

26 May, 2019 18:41
I had prepared a post, but instead of actually posting it, I accidentally quoted Bagpuss’s post! The post is:

Many will have expected that Ollie Rayner’s four first innings wickets v Leicestershire at Lord’s two weeks ago would have fought off the threat of Nathan Sowter replacing him in Middlesex’s County Championship side. However, when Rayner took those wickets, Lower Mound said to me that Sowter would have probably done the same had he played in that match. This is set to be Sowter's second first-class appearance after playing v Warwickshire at Lord's in 2017, when I remember he was underbowled in the Bears' second innings, as he only bowled 9.1 out of 112.1 overs, although he contributed with the bat in our second innings, as he scored 37 and shared in a partnership of 48 for the final wicket with Steven Finn, not that it was enough to stop us losing a match which contributed to our relegation.

As Finn is not in the squad, it makes it easier to decide which of the fast bowlers who played v Leics, if any, should miss out tomorrow. It would be a surprise if Tom Helm doesn’t retain his place after taking three first innings wickets either side of scoring 37 not out and 46. As I have said, this is the first of seven Championship matches in eight weeks, so I would have thought that we will use a few fast bowlers across the period.

Worcestershire have named a 12-man squad for this match consisting of Daryl Mitchell, Tom Fell, George Rhodes, Callum Ferguson, Riki Wessels, Ross Whiteley, Ben Cox (w), Ed Barnard, Joe Leach ©, Josh Tongue, Charlie Morris and Adam Finch. As they feared, Wayne Parnell will miss out due to a hamstring injury.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net