cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Leicestershire versus Middlesex ( 10-13th June)
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 12:46
It is absolutely a must win game for a match that looks like being rain affected. Comments please

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2019 08:45 by BarmierKev.

Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex ( 10-13th June)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 13:22
We already know there will be no James Harris (broken thumb) and options are limited.

We can't really drop any batsmen (nothing obviously better on the sidelines) but we can change the order. I'm not sure if it was Nick Gubbins choice to bat at three, or a desire to get Max Holden to open. Whichever way it was, it isn't working, so in batting order I'd go-

Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Malan, Holden, Stirling, Simpson, Roland-Jones, Helm, Finn, Bamber.

Tough on Rayner (and Sowter for that matter) but with no Harris we need someone who can bat at 6, and we have enough part time spin (Stirling, Malan, Holden, Robson) to make a front line spinner unnecessary. I don't think George Scott is enough of a wicket taking bowler to play at 6 with Rayner or Sowter in place of one of the seamers.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 13:57
No Murtagh, Chunky? Is this an assumption that he will be rested as part of a rotation policy? And is Finn ready?

The interview with Tim on the club website suggests that he is both keen and expecting to play. God help us if he doesn't...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 14:01 by Fozzie.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 13:59
Stirling only spare batter and should play. Spin option also. Sowter should be in squad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 19:03 by Seaxe_man1.

07 June, 2019 14:19
Fozzie- yes, what was I thinking of!!!!

Murtagh ahead of Finn or Bamber.

You would think ahead of Bamber, but not a foregone conclusion, as Finn has hardly any second XI wickets to his name since starting his comeback.

Tom Barber does seem to have cut down on his wides in the last couple of weeks, but would still be a risky luxury item.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 14:41
From last match;
Stirlo for Harry
Rabbit for Ollie
Finn for RoJo

rod/ed (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 14:43
Sorry forgot Helm didn't play last time. Therefore Helm for RoJo.

BREARS (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 14:51
Im sorry but why is Eskinazis place not in doubt?

07 June, 2019 15:06
cos there's no one else.

GPM (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 15:16
George Scott for Eskinazi on form alone.

BREARS (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 15:29
Or get Lace back, if you’re average 17 you cannot hold on to your place in the side.. that’s why we are going nowhere, no competition for places, players in comfort zone

07 June, 2019 16:14
Whoever plays, it won't be Ollie Rayner.

On loan to Kent for rest of the season (see separate thread).

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 16:21
Any chance of us loaning somebody in for a change?

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 19:06
Quote:
rod/ed
From last match;
Stirlo for Harry
Rabbit for Ollie
Finn for RoJo

Fair call Rod including your update on Helm.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
07 June, 2019 20:13
My target for Middlesex’s matches away to Worcestershire and at home to Sussex was that we would record one win and one draw, if not two wins. However, we ended up with one win and one defeat, so finished short of my target. As the five County Championship matches we play between now and the start of our Twenty20 campaign are all against sides who did not start the season expected to challenge for promotion - although they are all ahead of us in the table - I would like us to record three wins and two draws or four wins and one defeat, although four wins and one draw would be better, and five wins would obviously be perfect. If we don’t achieve this target, then we would have a lot of work to do during the back end of the season. If the weather stops us picking up points in our next five matches, then we had better hope the weather doesn’t stop us picking up points in our final four matches. That is why we could do with launching our promotion charge now and not in September.

After spinning us to victory by taking 5-74 in a Second Eleven Championship match v Essex at Bishop’s Stortford and today seeing Ollie Rayner go out on loan to Kent, Nathan Sowter would have a right to feel disappointed if he is once again omitted from our line-up. Surely he will play in each of our remaining Championship matches this season, form and fitness permitting.

Tom Helm should play, as he only missed our previous match as a precaution. However, Steven Finn hasn’t done enough in our 1st or 2nd XI this season to make me feel confident he is ready to play in this match, which pains me to say, as he is my favourite cricketer. James Harris’s injury and Steven Finn’s lack of form means that Toby Roland-Jones and Ethan Bamber should get another chance to see if they can rediscover their form of previous seasons, not that the case for TRJ to play is much stronger than the case for Finn to play.

I don’t think it is beyond the realms of possibility that Paul Stirling and/or George Scott could replace one of the batsmen who played in our last match.

Unless we envisage the pitch taking more spin than the pitches we often come across, I would be a bit surprised if we play fewer than four bowlers, unless we have Scott in the side.

If Scott plays and bowls some overs, it would be helpful if his bowling could be as effective as Neil Dexter, who made his first appearance of the season when Leicestershire held Lancashire to a draw at Aigburth this week. That result prevented Lancs from really cashing in on our defeat to Sussex, although it also meant that Leics will enter this match six points ahead of us.

07 June, 2019 20:29
My pen and paper method of keeping track of the 2nd XI (all formats combined) has George Scott on 4 wickets for 227 runs, so that's an average of 56.75 per wicket.

There really isn't anything I've seen on the live stream to suggest he is ever going to be a serious threat to first team batsmen (I'd love to be wrong) but at his pace, unless he can get the ball to do something (seam movement) I don't see him as anything more than someone who can bowl half a dozen overs to give the others a rest, so if he does play it can only be for his batting (he did make 160 for the 2's this week). IMO not an all rounder.

tallliman (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 06:39
Averages for each competition can be found here: [www.cricketarchive.com]

Just click on the competition.

08 June, 2019 07:34
Talliman- Thanks for that. I hadn't realised you could get the averages via our main site.

My way does also include friendlies, which in my view are also relevant, as a significant performance could get missed. For instance, Josh DeCaires 157 v combined Sussex and Kent XI isn''t in those averages, as a friendly.

tallliman (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 13:23
No worries Chunky, it's an amazing website cricketarchive.com!

Weather forecast looks abysmal so not sure I'll goto the game. I always remember this fixture as being rain affected and full of Ackerman or Taylor runs....

08 June, 2019 19:45
In an effort to find some form Max Holden played for Shepherd's Bush today in the Middlesex County League.

He made 21 before being bowled by, erm, Ravi Patel.

Edit to add- and Sam Robson 75 for Teddington, so another one taking the opportunity to have a knock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 19:52 by chunkyinargyll.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net