Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: England v Ireland 24-27 July
Jonathan Winsky 25 July, 2019 19:40
One of England’s aims for this match will have been to find a settled opening pairing ahead of the Ashes. Well, it seems they have found one good opening batsman in Jack Leach. I assumed that this innings would mean he would be very close to the top of the list of England players with the best Test average as opener, but the fact he had opened on one previous occasion and was out for 1 means that his average in this position is 46.50, which despite being respectable for a batsman of any ability, only places him 22nd, although his average is still higher than plenty of more illustrious names. It required Tim Murtagh to dismiss him.

It felt like England could do with batting the whole of today’s play to give themselves a chance of winning, and that is exactly what they did. Hopefully they can survive another 2.2 overs to enable Murtagh to have a chance of taking another wicket with the second new ball.

chunkyinargyll 26 July, 2019 09:44
Looking forward to today.

Ireland likely to be chasing about 200.

Stirlo will be key. How will he approach it? Bat 'properly', or take a leaf out of Sam Curran's approach, and have a go? A quick T20 type 30-50 from Stirlo would make significant inroads in to the chase, but if he gets out having a go early on he'll be deemed reckless and irresponsible.

Going to be close.

pantherlike 26 July, 2019 09:54
Reckon he’ll have a go

Will be a difficult chase though regardless of how well the pitch plays

chunkyinargyll 26 July, 2019 10:26
So- Who does Eoin Morgan want to win today?

[twitter.com]

Seaxe_man1 26 July, 2019 10:30
[quote chunkyinargyll] So- Who does Eoin Morgan want to win today? (quote)

[twitter.com][/quote . Same as Ollie Rayner I imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2019 10:33 by Seaxe_man1.

tallliman 26 July, 2019 11:34
182 to win but off for rain here. Pretty humid so I'd expect the ball to do something.

chunkyinargyll 26 July, 2019 14:00
Poor old Ireland.

Looked like a wicket would fall evey delivery- and it practically did.

chunkyinargyll 26 July, 2019 14:32
Interestingly, both Mike Atherton and David LLoyd had Dawid Malan in their Ashes side, so I don't know of they know something. As he wasn't in the list of 25 or so a couple of weeks ago I assumed he was completely out of the running- but maybe not.

Jonathan Winsky 26 July, 2019 19:08
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
If England bat well over the next few sessions, then they can turn the match around. However, if not, then Ireland can secure a sensational victory. Ireland’s collapse from 132-2 to 149-7 at least meant that one phase of play today went England’s way, as it thwarted Ireland's hopes of a truly massive first innings lead

I suppose that Ireland’s collapse was the point when the much swung England’s way. Before the collapse, Ireland were 47 ahead with eight wickets remaining having restricted England’s bowlers to 2 wickets in the first 33.2 overs, so Ireland must have been hopeful at that point of adding around 250 more runs to achieve a lead of around 300. Had someone said before the match that Ireland’s first innings score would be 207 and England’s second innings score would be 303, then England would have surely been happy, so of course the only problem was that England only posted 85 in their first innings. Still, that was more than double what Ireland posted in their second innings.

I am not sure what the reaction would have been had someone said before the match that Jack Leach would win the Man of the Match award despite bowling 3 wicketless overs!

Seaxe_man1 26 July, 2019 22:11
I note that Graves with a silly grin on his face presented the trophy. The next generation of test players developing under his stewardship the whereabouts of, still remain a mystery.

Seaxe_man1 26 July, 2019 22:13
A commendable first two days Ireland. Night Watchman Leach put a spoke in the works.

pantherlike 26 July, 2019 22:23
Yep, that effort from Leach was the difference. So was the heat and then lack of

Also the pitch played too much of a factor in this test. Got everyone salivating when England got skittled, but to have two innings competed within a session of play indicates an overreaction in setup for the 4 day test format

Not saying that Ireland would have won in better batting conditions but anyone could have taken wickets yesterday!

It’s a a shame their first visit to Lord’s will be remembered for the lowest total made in a test at the venue

pantherlike 27 July, 2019 03:02
Another thought on Leach’s batting. He wasn’t good enough to get the edge early on while the ball was moving around

Really made the difference and could go down as one of the best deployments of a night watchmen ever!

BeefyRoberts 27 July, 2019 09:56
Was there yesterday,my first international cricket since 2011.
Was rather impressed with how the crowd to get in worked,it use to he just a scrum to get in,now all in a zig-zag way,and seemed quicker than Middlesex t20 games!
I was with 3 guys we met in Dublin when Middlesex played there last month,including Larry the Leprechaun,he in the full Irish outfit.Sadly 3 or 4 sitting behind us during game were being loud enough to take the mickey out of him (turned a deaf ear to it) but great company as before,new friendships formed through cricket.
When first ball took last wicket,we all.knew things might go a bit wrong for the guys in green,but,the contingent thoroughly enjoyed their visit.
Finishing off with drinks at the hotel near ground.Think most of the Irish followers turned up,and,from chatting I didn't realise just how big the game is out there,and,they dont want the hundred on their shores either!
Larry got in the papers,on tele,and if he charged £1 for each picture taken just yesterday he would be going home a very rich leprechaun!
Huge thanks to Willie,Esksteen and Larry for a great day,company was typically Irish.
These guys play for The Hills CC which is about 20 miles north of Dublin,and,they are looking at maybe a couple of Middlesex t20 games next year!

Fozzie 27 July, 2019 10:13
Sounds a great time, Beefy, and great that the Irish lads enjoyed the day despite events on the field.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net