Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
England v Ireland 24-27 July
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 08 July, 2019 13:23
England v Ireland 24-27 July
chunkyinargyll 08 July, 2019 13:23
4 day test (sensible, because it gives Ireland incentive to fight for a draw, when 5 days would probably be beyond them)

Ireland have named squad, and as expected, Paul Stirling and Tim Murtagh are included.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2019 14:59 by BarmierKev.

Re: England v Ireland 24-27 July
tallliman 08 July, 2019 18:52
Good to hear, 3 others in the squad that are ex-Mx

chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 14:14
Surprised Joe Denly is in England squad and Dawid Malan isn't.

Roy and Burns also in squad.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

tallliman 17 July, 2019 21:40
Struggle with Roy's inclusion to be honest. He's done exceedingly well in the one day team but I dont believe he's a regular 4 day opener. Often batting at 5 or 6. Rest of the squad is interesting, is Dawid consigned to history despite his glittering form of late?

Seaxe_man1 18 July, 2019 08:55
The England middle order is batting wise their strongest area and Mala competes in that area. Alex Stewart reckons the first three for Ashes will be Roy. Burns. Bairstow whose elevation looks to create a vacancy.

tbl 19 July, 2019 20:51
I'm surprised by the inclusion of Gregory, presumably as cover for Stokes. Not much point giving him one cap then dropping him for the Ashes.

rod/ed 24 July, 2019 11:13
Ireland 1-0 Mexico

BarmierKev 24 July, 2019 11:57
Middlesex 3 Surrey 0

chunkyinargyll 24 July, 2019 12:40
If Ireland had been 43-7 after 75 minutes, we would have said they weren't good enough for test cricket.

Prediction- Tim Murtagh will be one of Wisden's five Cricketers of the year.

98 overs a day, so a 4 days and one session test match.

chunkyinargyll 24 July, 2019 12:46
58-8.

Could be bowled out in one session.

BarmierKev 24 July, 2019 16:26
If I’m not mistaken the current 3rd wicket partnership for Middlesex, I mean Ireland is worth more than the entire England score. This helped by some great Middlesex , sorry corrected again , Ireland bowling.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

coolbawn 24 July, 2019 18:02
So good to see Andrew Balbirnie make some runs. He seemed to make tons of quick runs for the 2nds and was arguably the preeminent batsmen in the 2nds at the time although I know success at 2nds level guarantees you nothing and I can't remember who the other nippers were at the time.

I seem to remember he had a slightly shaky debut in a big T20 derby at Lords. Shame that he then got injured and was gone.

Anyway. good luck to him. Future (imminent) Ireland captain, I imagine.

adelaide 24 July, 2019 19:11
Tim Murtagh scored more than all the World Cup heroes put together.

Four players with Middlesex connections (Rankin a bit tenuous but never mind) taking most of the wickets and scoring most of the runs.

I see a decent opener has gone out for the second innings...

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 24 July, 2019 19:43
Today will must rank as one of the greatest days of Tim Murtagh’s career. For many years, he has built up a great reputation on the county circuit, but today he announced himself on the Test stage by taking five wickets against the World Champions (albeit of a different format) at one of the world’s most famous cricket grounds. He must be delighted that he took Ed Joyce’s advice a few years ago to research his family history to see whether he would possibly be eligible for Ireland, as that has given him the opportunity to play Test cricket.

I spent a lot of today cheering on Ireland’s Middlesex players.

I imagine that some people will have expected England to have a comfortable match and generate some momentum ahead of the Ashes. However, Ireland’s performance today means that the match has panned out differently. If England bat well over the next few sessions, then they can turn the match around. However, if not, then Ireland can secure a sensational victory. Ireland’s collapse from 132-2 to 149-7 at least meant that one phase of play today went England’s way, as it thwarted Ireland's hopes of a truly massive first innings lead.

The fact the ODI format saw Scotland beat England last year and Ireland give England a scare in May 2019, while the Test format saw Ireland dominate England today makes a mockery of ICC’s decision to have only 10 teams at the 2019 and 2023 World Cups.

tallliman 24 July, 2019 19:56
Superb day of test cricket at Lord's. Glad I was in the shade today! Tim bowled well, exploiting the movement in the pitch that was there as he's done for years. Suddenly all the pundits were highlighting the skill of such bowling where they often decry it.

England need to bat a lot better 2nd time around. To concede a deficit of 122 is a lot in any form of cricket.

Sussex Seaxe 24 July, 2019 20:28
I was there today, in the shade in the Warner Stand, but even there it was blisteringly hot.

Tim was brilliant this morning (although his batting introduced a few new shots later, which I don't recall being covered on my coaching courses) and it was really good to hear so many people willing him on and then to see him given a standing ovation when he led the side off.

Well done and well deserved.

Jonathan Winsky 24 July, 2019 23:21
Tim Murtagh earned himself a place on an honours board at Lord's, which is something which has eluded a few more illustrious cricketers. However, despite the fact Lord's is his home ground, he won't get much opportunity after this match to see this board, as I think it is located in the away dressing room.

pantherlike 25 July, 2019 11:24
Agreed

Hoping Burns stays in the team for the Ashes, our pace will dust up this shoddy technique

And Athers just pointed out the obvious flaws on Sky

Surely Robbo must be close for a recall with his recent 140?!

chunkyinargyll 25 July, 2019 14:00
England lost their nightwatchman after about half an hour, but the good news is Jack Leach is still there.

chunkyinargyll 25 July, 2019 15:58
Bairstow uses up another review trying to save his own skin.

England should get 'Power of Attorney' and tell the umpires Bairstow doesn't have the mental capacity to call for a review.

Edit- As it was umpires call, on this occasion he didn't lose a review, but it looked out in real time, and was correctly given out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2019 16:03 by chunkyinargyll.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net