Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Glamorgan v Middlesex, 13-16 July
Discussion started by Jonathan Winsky , 10 July, 2019 19:55
Glamorgan v Middlesex, 13-16 July
Jonathan Winsky 10 July, 2019 19:55
This is an important match for both teams. In order to have hopes of promotion, Middlesex need to keep winning, like we did v Gloucestershire at Merchant Taylors’ School. Glamorgan have surprised many people by following their wooden spoon in 2018 by spending much of the 2019 season near the top of division two, in which they currently sit in 2nd place and 28 points clear of 4th. Glamorgan have so far beaten Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire, so if they can beat Middlesex, then that would answer anyone who points out they are yet to beat decent opposition (although it is questionable whether we can be considered as decent opposition!) The main reason why Glamorgan have spent much of the season in the promotion race and we have spent much of the season outside the promotion race is because Glamorgan are outperforming us in the important fields of wins, batting points and bowling points, and also in draws.

Depending on results elsewhere, the likelihood is that victory for Middlesex would take us closer to the promotion places, but defeat would provide a chance for the teams below us to leapfrog us and lead to talk of Great Western Railway having to transport the wooden spoon from Cardiff Central to Paddington so that a representative from Middlesex can take it to Lord’s. I’m not fussed whether the wooden spoon stays in Great Western Railway territory by going to Worcestershire or Glos, or if it goes to somewhere traditional like Leicestershire or Northants, just as long as it doesn’t go to Middlesex!

The forecast suggests that if this match does not produce a result, then it wouldn’t be the weather’s fault.

This will be our last County Championship match until we play Sussex at Hove four weeks’ later, which will be followed by a three-week wait for our subsequent match, so it would be great to enter this 'break' on the back of a win.

I doubt we will be keen to make many team changes from the win v Glos. James Harris might be available, although the fact he only took two wickets in the defeat v Kent 2nd XI at Radlett and didn’t bat means that maybe this will be a match too soon. I believe that the target is to have Steven Finn available for our Twenty20 campaign rather for this match. Hopefully Tim Murtagh will be allowed to play, despite Ireland being due to start a two-day friendly v Middlesex 2nd at MTS on Thursday 18th July. It would be harsh to make changes to our batting line-up, as although the match v Glos saw our batsmen continue their habit of getting out after making a start, the fact batting conditions were difficult for both teams means that making changes would be harsh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2019 11:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: Glamorgan v Middlesex, 13-16 July
chunkyinargyll 10 July, 2019 20:09
Glamorgan lost ten out of fourteen matches last year, won two and drew two.

This year it looks like they started out determined to be harder to beat, so many batsmen friendly home tracks have been provided. I doubt this one will be different. A high scoring draw could be five batting, and one or two bowling points, plus five for the draw equals 11 or 12 points, which they might see as preferable to a bowling surface where the reward for a win might be 19, but a loss could mean only 3 points.

Could be a chance for our batsmen to improve their averages.

chunkyinargyll 11 July, 2019 17:48
Although he only made 2 and 1, James Harris did at least go out to bat in both of today's 2nd XI T20 matches. I'm not sure if is still feeling pain, or if his batting is still limited to some extent, but he can at least hold the bat again, so maybe a place in this match isn't out of the question.

chunkyinargyll 12 July, 2019 14:30
James Harris makes the squad (but not Steven Finn)

[www.middlesexccc.com]

tallliman 12 July, 2019 15:51
Crucially, Tim is available!

Jonathan Winsky 12 July, 2019 18:54
If James Harris plays, it will be interesting to see who he would replace from the XI which finished the match v Gloucestershire at Merchant Taylors’ School. He could replace one of the fast bowlers, although they all made a contribution with bat and/or ball at some stage in that match. Alternatively, he could replace George Scott or Robbie White, but that would be cruel on whichever of those players misses out, although at least it would mean that we would surely have more than enough fast bowlers.

The fact Martin Andersson's road to recovery is mentioned in the article announcing the squad suggests that he is very much in our plans. Maybe he will be involved in our 1st XI at some point before the season is out during our Twenty20 campaign and/or in our final four County Championship matches.

Glamorgan have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Chris Cooke+*, Nick Selman, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, Billy Root, David Lloyd, Daniel Douthwaite, Graeme Wagg, Tom Cullen, Owen Morgan, Marchant de Lange, Timm van der Gugten, Michael Hogan and Lukas Carey.

Bring back the Crusaders 12 July, 2019 20:15
Would have thought Steve Eskenazi would be the one to make way should James Harris be fit.
Gubbins opens and everyone moves up one.

chunkyinargyll 13 July, 2019 08:19
Thought for the day-

Marcus Labushagne 1,057 runs 5 hundreds, 4 fifties, average 70.47

Nick Gubbins 463 runs, 3 fifties, average 30.87

Sam Robson 443 runs, 1 hundred, 1 fifty, average 29.53

Steve Eskinazi 310 runs, 1 fifty, average 20.67

All from 9 matches.

If we can get Labushagne out early, it will be like getting three of our batsmen out with one delivery.

Obviously conditions have been different, with all of Glamorgan's home tracks being a batsman's paradise, whereas we had Merchant Taylors' to contend with, but Labushagne's contribution is equal to three of our batsmen.

Primrose Hillbilly 13 July, 2019 09:14
I'd love to have seen enough in Toby at MTS to say the oppo now have no release once they've seen off Tim and Tom, but that MTS track was ....very sporting .....with some astonishing bounce but also a bit two paced.

I can't see further than a draw here, but maybe a further chance for our top three to do a bit of much needed rehab on their figures, as highlighted by Chunky.

I'd definitely want us to bat first.

chunkyinargyll 13 July, 2019 10:33
Good call, Primrose.

We bat first (and it looks like James Harris wasn't passed fit).

[twitter.com]

WayOutWest 13 July, 2019 10:37
An interesting looking pitch judged on the picture on Glamorgan twitter.

Jonathan Winsky 13 July, 2019 10:52
I have faith that Middlesex made the right decision to select the same XI that finished the match v Gloucestershire at Merchant Taylors’ School. It means that George Scott and Robbie White play their fifth and second successive County Championship match respectively (although this will be Scott’s sixth Championship appearance of the season), and that James Harris is not recalled. Of course, if Harris's absence is due to him not passing a fitness test rather than due to management decision, then this paragraph makes less sense!

If the trend of matches at Sophia Gardens this season continue, our batsmen ought to find batting conditions more favourable than at MTS, although so probably would Glamorgan’s batsmen. If Glamorgan’s batsmen end up posting big scores, then our batsmen would really need to convert good starts into big scores too.

Things don’t always go well when we opt against having a toss, so hopefully our decision to have a toss and ultimately win it and decide to bat will work out well.

During the reverse fixture at Radlett, Owen Morgan made a duck for Glamorgan, while Eoin Morgan scored 148 off 71 for England v Afghanistan at Old Trafford. This week, Owen Morgan has been left out of the Glamorgan team alongside Tom Cullen and Timm van der Gugten, while Eoin Morgan will hope to lift the World Cup.

adelaide 13 July, 2019 10:54
PH

Of course we need to see Toby looking good on good pitches as well but he was putting the ball in the right places and kept the pressure on, which at times Tom Helm didn't. The main thing though is the confidence boost it must give to a player who has been struggling to get it right since he returned from injury.

I'd better not get too optimistic though or people will think I've turned into Kevin Hand.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 13 July, 2019 11:56
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
James Harris is not recalled. Of course, if Harris's absence is due to him not passing a fitness test rather than due to management decision, then this paragraph makes less sense!

Before the commentary disappeared, Kevin Hand earlier said that James Harris was probably fit enough to play, so it seems that the main reason why he isn’t playing is because Middlesex didn’t want to drop anyone who finished the last match.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
If the trend of matches at Sophia Gardens this season continue, our batsmen ought to find batting conditions more favourable than at MTS, although so probably would Glamorgan’s batsmen. If Glamorgan’s batsmen end up posting big scores, then our batsmen would really need to convert good starts into big scores too

Just because I didn’t want Sam Robson, Nick Gubbins or any of their team-mates to get out for a low double-figure score doesn’t mean that I didn’t want Robbo or Gubbo to get into double-figures.

It remains to be seen whether this match will follow the trend of previous matches at Sophia Gardens.

Although it seems that batting conditions are currently tough, it would be great if our decision to bat first will ultimately be justified as the match progresses.

chunkyinargyll 13 July, 2019 12:15
Same, same.

(Sm164)

Jonathan Winsky 13 July, 2019 13:12
To use a word I often find myself using on MTWD, it was disappointing that Middlesex lost four wickets in the session, although at least our tally of 115 runs in the session is better than any team in either division, while we have actually lost fewer wickets than the two other division two teams who have batted first (Durham and Sussex).

The decision to promote John Simpson above Robbie White has so far worked out, as Simmo’s partnership with Dawid Malan has so far yielded 50 runs, and means that the situation when White eventually comes in shouldn’t be as dire as when Simmo came in at 65-4.

As it stands, I am not sure whether we will earn more than two batting points. If we lose a couple of wickets early in the afternoon session, then 250 would look a long way off, but a couple more good partnerships would set out sights beyond that.

chunkyinargyll 13 July, 2019 14:27
No offence meant to George Scott or Robbie white, but if we were serious about promotion we should have an overseas batsman of the calibre of Marcus Labushagne taking one of their places.

Kevin Hand said Robbie White is currently keeping Max Holden out of the side.

I think it would be more accurate to say Max Holden is keeping Max Holden out of the side.

Seaxe_man1 13 July, 2019 16:13
Good second session for Mx. Entertaimg to say the least.

chunkyinargyll 13 July, 2019 16:33
4th championship ton of the season for Dawid Malan.

(Sm152)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net