Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Beer cricket tomorrow . Middx v Essex.
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 17 July, 2019 11:43
Beer cricket tomorrow . Middx v Essex.
BarmierKev 17 July, 2019 11:43
Sorry but not interested. There will be a packed Lord’s and guess there are many here who will be following this game.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2019 22:41 by BarmierKev.

Re: Beer cricket tomorrow . Middx v Essex.
chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 14:44
First T20 squad of the year named-

Malan(c), Barber, DeVilliers, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson, Sowter, Stirling, Ur Rhaman.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 14:50
Surprised (pleasantly) that Paul Stirling is in the squad, as I thought he would be playing for Ireland against our second XI (for team bonding purposes)

Less surprised Morgan needs a break after the excitement of the World Cup.

And surprised Eskinazi (on current form) makes the squad when Holden doesn't, but he'll probably be one of the ones to miss out.

Seaxe_man1 17 July, 2019 18:20
Dimi Mascarenhas seems to have taken over the Barber Project. He has been sent to Harrow St Mary's in MX Prem and reports have been more favourable.

Malan De Villiers Stirlo Simpson UR Rahman Rojo are shoe ins. After that Sowts Helm Harris Gubbins Scott Barber/Finn.

Malan Stirlo De Villiers Gubbo Simmo Harris Rojo Helm Sowts Barber UR Rahman.

This gives us 6 batters plus Rojo, 3 spinners, 4 pace. So 7 bowling options. Some risk but hey with 2 wins out of 14 last year not much to lose.

BREARS 17 July, 2019 18:35
Surely Sowts is a shoe in?

Jonathan Winsky 17 July, 2019 18:55
I was hopeful that Eoin Morgan would be available for this match, as playing Twenty20 cricket is theoretically less strenuous than the two other county formats, and it would have helped build on the momentum English cricket has gained from the World Cup. Therefore, it is disappointing to read that he will be unavailable for Middlesex’s first four matches, especially as he would also miss the tail end of the group stage and potentially any knockout matches if he fully commits to the Euro T20 Slam (the draft for which is this Friday), in which he is an icon player and in which I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Stirling takes part. I can understand that Morgan deserves a rest and that it is probably barely his decision, but it is nonetheless a blow to those hoping he would boost Middlesex’s line-up and to those hoping to not wait until 1st August to applaud him to the crease after captaining England to World Cup victory. Despite Morgan not being able to play for two weeks, Liam Plunkett and Tom Curran will be able to play for Surrey v Middlesex at The Oval this coming Tuesday. What really would rankle would be if Morgan ends up playing every match for a team in the Euro T20 Slam, yet doesn’t play every match for Middlesex, despite the T20 Blast being more prestigious than the Slam.

Other than that, I am fairly happy with the strength of Middlesex’s squad.

Stuart Law has spoken to ECB Reporters Network about Sam Robson’s chances of playing in this competition, despite him not even being named in our squad.

Seaxe_man1 17 July, 2019 19:37
Quote:
BREARS
Surely Sowts is a shoe in?
I don't disagree BREARS and will be surprised if he doesn't play. I put it that way cos UR Rahman is considered by the Lawman to be our T20 number one.

BREARS 17 July, 2019 19:43
Lets hope hes in the Kartik category and not the McCullum one

chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 19:48
I sincerely hope he is NOT in the Kartik category.

BREARS 17 July, 2019 19:52
Whys that?

chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 19:55
Seemed to get stage fright in televised games, and bowl no balls.

BREARS 17 July, 2019 19:57
Were you following Middlesex in 2008? If not, google it.

chunkyinargyll 17 July, 2019 19:59
Of course I was.

I've told you why I hope Ur Rehman is not another Kartik.

No more to be said.

BREARS 17 July, 2019 20:00
no, Id hate it if he was like Kartik, and we won the thing.

Jonathan Winsky 17 July, 2019 22:09
I imagine that both Mujeeb Ur Rahman and Nathan Sowter will play throughout Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign, form and fitness permitting. If so, it would be interesting to see if Mujeeb plays a similar role to which he played for Afghanistan at the World Cup, which was to bowl some of his overs at the start of innings, and if Sowter plays a similar role to which he played in the Royal London Cup, which was to bowl some of his overs at the death.

Max Holden’s omission is a bit of a surprise considering he scored 84 v Somerset at Lord’s in this competition in 2018 and broke the record for most runs in a List A innings with his 166 v Kent at Canterbury just two months ago. Maybe the coaches are working on his technique behind the scenes or something, as there can't be many other explanations for his omission.

As I believe that Martin Andersson is close to full fitness or has maybe even reached that point already, it would be nice if he could play in our Twenty20 campaign at some point. However, that might be difficult, as fellow all-rounder George Scott’s performances in the Royal London Cup make it likely that he will feature heavily in our plans for this competition, in which case there might not be a vacancy for Andersson.

chunkyinargyll 18 July, 2019 06:02
It might be that Max will play (maybe even captain) the Middlesex 2's match that starts against Ireland today.

It's likely Steve Eskinazi will be on the subs bench tonight, so at least Max gets a game.

chunkyinargyll 18 July, 2019 11:23
AB interview-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

chunkyinargyll 18 July, 2019 11:30
James Harris may have been named in the squad for this match, but unless it is an error he is playing for the 2nd XI v Ireland today.

Seaxe_man1 18 July, 2019 12:17
Could leave early or Scott plays..Murali Kartik had 5/13 v Essex in 2007. Saw it. A repeat by Rahman I will settle for.

BREARS 18 July, 2019 13:32
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Could leave early or Scott plays..Murali Kartik had 5/13 v Essex in 2007. Saw it. A repeat by Rahman I will settle for.

No SM, we don’t want any repeat of Karts, he bowls too many no balls.........

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net