Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Surrey v Middlesex, 23rd July
chunkyinargyll 23 July, 2019 22:03
For the benefit of those at the match, AB will be fit for Thursday.

tallliman 23 July, 2019 22:17
It was a good win on a pitch where you needed a few balls to get in. Didnt think Surrey bowled well in the middle overs but pulled it back towards the end. David's ton, 11 years after he first made his mark in t20 and on the ground where he made his debut, was sublime....as chanceless as I've seen a t20 innings. Our fielding was tight and seemed to get a wicket whenever it was needed.

Only negative comment was that much of the crowd around me was more interested in being there than watching the cricket itself. Guess I'm fairly insulated in the pavilion when I watch Notts for t20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2019 22:17 by tallliman.

Jonathan Winsky 23 July, 2019 23:41
For the second season running, this fixture saw Middlesex post a total of 200+. Thankfully, whereas the 2018 season saw Surrey thwart my hopes of getting the rate required up to 12 and beyond and saw Surrey cruise to victory, the 2019 fixture put those memories to bed, as they spent their whole chase unable to control the rate required.

One memory from a previous Twenty20 match at The Oval which I was delighted to have cause to recall tonight was Dawid Malan’s innings v Lancashire in 2008, on which occasion his innings ended when he was caught by Stuart Law. Tonight was the sixth occasion someone has scored a century in a Twenty20 innings for Middlesex, with three of the team's centuries having been scored by Malan, and three of the team's centuries being scored at The Oval. Indeed those three centuries at The Oval are the only three I have witnessed.

At one stage, we looked like making a far higher total, so hopefully there won’t be a future match in which we once again slow down and end up consequently losing instead of there being a happy ending like there was tonight.

For the second match running, our success with the bat was helped by the fact we didn’t lose many wickets and therefore didn’t require our lower order to bat. As I don’t feel confident in our lower order’s ability to score quick runs, I am currently reluctant to get too excited about our prospects of doing well in this competition.

The fact Stephen Eskinazi batted well and Nick Gubbins was not asked to bat will help Eski’s chances of retaining his place when Paul Stirling returns next week.

The posters who anticipated that the spinners would do well tonight were proven half-right, as Imran Tahir and Gareth Batty conceded 75 off 6 overs (although Tahir managed to dismiss his former South Africa team-mate AB de Villiers lbw to Tahir’s great delight despite the ball touching the bat), whereas Mujeeb Ur Rahman was his usual economical self (which helped our defence of our total get off to a better start than in this fixture in 2018) and Nathan Sowter took two wickets.

Cricinfo’s Valkerie Baynes has produced a report of tonight.

Ivor's Tache 23 July, 2019 23:57
Lovely to win there. A good afternoon/evening.

Seaxe_man1 24 July, 2019 00:03
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
For the benefit of those at the match, AB will be fit for Thursday.
Darren saw the finger chunky blood oozing as AB went up the steps. Like Sowts looked worse than it was presumably. Stating the obvious. The opening stand won Mx the game at 131. With Malan's ton. Esky batted well. Mx fielding was better than Mexicans also a factor. Took some great catches. Top of the table. Take a picture. Simmo also kept well.

Bring back the Crusaders 24 July, 2019 00:49
A good performance- top of the league!
Steve Finn is a problem though.
Reduction in extras was positive.

adelaide 24 July, 2019 00:55
I think the problem is that James Harris is a good pace to hit and he hasn't always been in control of line and length when I've seen him bowl this season. Mind you, the batsman doesn't know what to expect either and even unintended variation can do the job. Which brings me to Tom Barber. He's in the squad so quite likely to play.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 24 July, 2019 06:18
Adelaide- I know what you mean, but Harris has a T20 ton to his name, and must be a better bet than Finn.

He tried to bowl fast and furious, but short balls gave batsmen the chance to get the bat under the ball, and hoik it over the boundary for six.

Cheltenham next, and I think it's a bit like Merchant Taylors'- slow and sticky.

Anyway- top of the league!!!!!!

Seaxe_man1 24 July, 2019 07:03
Agreed chunky. Finny too short too often on an excellent batting track. Tom Barber in the squad Adelaide as you say. Over to Dimi for a progress report.

MB 24 July, 2019 07:07
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Adelaide- I know what you mean, but Harris has a T20 ton to his name, and must be a better bet than Finn.
He tried to bowl fast and furious, but short balls gave batsmen the chance to get the bat under the ball, and hoik it over the boundary for six.

Cheltenham next, and I think it's a bit like Merchant Taylors'- slow and sticky.

Does he ?

Seaxe_man1 24 July, 2019 07:28
Crowd 23708. Sixth sellout in a row between Mexicans and Mx at the hacienda. Bloke won a grand for catching a Malan six hit.

chunkyinargyll 24 July, 2019 07:45
Quote:
MB
Quote:
chunkyinargyll

Does he ?

Sorry- you're right.

Royal London 50 over hundred- and good runs in the championship at 6.

A considerable upgrade on the batting front if we pick him ahead of Finn.

tallliman 24 July, 2019 08:00
The first wicket partnership was a record for Middlesex against Surrey passing the previous best of 39 between Paul Weekes and Andrew Strauss in 2004.

adelaide 24 July, 2019 10:14
Chunky

Harris most definitely a much better batsman than Finn though I am not sure his batting is made for the unconventional T20 stuff. If Cheltenham is a bit sticky, it may suit him.

Adelaide

BarmierKev 24 July, 2019 16:50
I feel we did well yesterday giving our star players missing due to international call ups.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 24 July, 2019 18:36
Dawid Malan has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match:

MiddleToWest 25 July, 2019 09:48
Quote:
tallliman
Only negative comment was that much of the crowd around me was more interested in being there than watching the cricket itself. Guess I'm fairly insulated in the pavilion when I watch Notts for t20.

I notice that at Lord's too. In a Test, the noise of conversation rises between overs and drops when there's play. at a T20 it's constant.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net