Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gloucs v Middlesex 25th July
adelaide 25 July, 2019 18:00
The one alongside Hunt seemed OK (and on occasion seemed embarrassed by Hunt) but maybe that was just by comparison.

Did Hunt find Hammond arrogant too? Thought not.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 25 July, 2019 18:11
I kept my word and didn't listen, but during the championship game I did wonder if Hunt was unwell, as he made so many mistakes it was really embarrassing.

I assume the BBC listen to sample commentaries to make sure they are all up to scratch, but with Hunt it is like he is deliberately taunting the other teams supporters, and doesn't even care.

Jonathan Winsky 25 July, 2019 19:15
I feared that Middlesex would find it difficult to score runs in this competition whenever we found ourselves five wickets down with at least five overs still to bat, and those fears were realised, as we found ourselves 91-5 after 11.2 overs, but were only able to add 57 off our final 8.4 overs.

Hopefully our bowlers will take confidence from coming close to defending our low score. The result was a lot closer than seemed likely when Gloucestershire ended their Powerplay on 59-2 and reached 84-3 after 9.4 overs, with Steven Finn’s tournament statistics at that point standing at 8-0-90-0. Thankfully, Finn’s remaining three overs today saw him take 3-15.

With AB de Villiers having only initially signed for the first half of the group stage, it was a blow that his involvement with us was further curtailed due to injury causing him to miss today's match. At least it created an opportunity for Dan Lincoln, which he duly took by scoring 30. The fact Stephen Eskinazi scored 40 meant that the two highest-scorers of our top five were both players who would have probably not played had de Villiers, Paul Stirling and Eoin Morgan been available. I hope de Villiers will be able to play v Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens tomorrow night. If so, the batsman to miss out would probably be Nick Gubbins, as we can surely not drop anyone else.

I am not sure what Max Holden will make of now being overtaken in our pecking order by Lincoln. At least there is plenty of time in Holden’s career to climb back up.

Before the match started, our official website posted an interview de Villiers did with ECB Reporters Network, in which he said that he would like to play in both the T20 Blast and The Hundred next season, so that will come as a relief to those who feared that the Blast would take place without big-name overseas players due to them only having the time and/or interest to play in The Hundred.

After sitting in the Peter May stand on Tuesday to watch a Middlesex side containing AB de Villiers beat a Surrey side whose most famous supporter is arguably John Major and who bowling coach is Richard Johnson, I assumed that it would be a long time before following Middlesex next caused me to be brought in mind of the Conservative Party. However, I then saw references to Hammond and Hunt on this thread.

BeefyRoberts 25 July, 2019 20:16
A nice easy drive there and back,parking 10 minute walk for £5.50 the day.
Bag searches were more ferocious than Lords,steward just dived like like a hungry hyena.
Me,I forgot I had a bottle opener in bottom of bag,Hyena saw it,slammed it on table.
Silly me,I said,forgot it was in there.Can I collect after play has finished?
No,said Hyena,read the notice on table.
Ok,I said,its a mistake,why cant I collect after?
Hyena..it goes in the bin,or you can walk back to car and leave it there.
Me..ok,have you got £7.50 on you?
Hyena,,why?
That's how much the bottle opener cost from Sainsbury's,you have my property,you pay for it!
Hyena,read the notice on table.
Alas,Hyena kept opener.

We spent the afternoon in Churchdown club tent as before,6 of us among the Gloucestershire faithful,we were,in our innings probably 20 odd runs short.
Abraham (Lincoln) looked good on debut,but we all thought it's time for Gubbo to make way for another..Robson maybe?
Few nervy moments for Gloucestershire but they came good just in time.
We never seem able to beat Gloucestershire at home or away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2019 20:17 by BeefyRoberts.

Seaxe_man1 25 July, 2019 20:29
After controlling the last two games this was two paces backward on the batting front. Without Stirlo and AB better shot selection was required. As it panned out we left 20/30 runs out there. The bowling and fielding unit fought back well and did well to take game to the last over. Locals got worried once or twice when wickets clattered towards the end.

chunkyinargyll 25 July, 2019 20:30
So- you can bring a bottle to the game- but not the means to open it.

I'm not sure how away supporters are meant to know that until they get there.

And you don't exactly look like a terrorist Beefy, although I suppose appearances can be deceptive.

Seaxe_man1 25 July, 2019 20:32
Robson brought into the squad for Glammy would be a good move and would give Mx a much needed extra battling option.

Fozzie 26 July, 2019 06:51
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
adelaide
Hunt is a joke (that's Bob, not Jeremy).
His cries of woe when Dent was out first ball at OMT was clawssic though. I immedfiately thought of (was it?) Macduff discovering Banquo's body shouting "Oh, horror, horror, horror!".

Which in turn brought me back to doing Macbeth for GCE English, when one poor lad (not me) read the phrase aloud without the slightest intonation. Though a second one (again, not me) was even more mortified when his pronunciation of the word "@#$%&" demonstrated that he had never heard it before. "Someone take him outside and tell him" said the teacher, rather unkindly, though the gales of laughter from the rest of the class had done their damage by then.

Funny how a few seconds on the radio can trigger off the most obscure memories.

Adelaide

The word in question has been censored but was mispronounced as "war".

Perhaps your unfortunate classmate had been listening to The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel, whole protagonist got "a come-on from the 'wars' on 7th Avenue". The change was presumably to avoid radio censorship.

Oh BTW (pedant alert), I think the quote by Macduff is probably in reaction to finding Duncan's body, not Banquo's.

adelaide 26 July, 2019 11:35
Seen one Scottish king, you've seen them all! It was a long time ago (my school days, I mean). The funny thing is how selective the memory is.

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net