Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
List of Middlesex cricketers
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 28 July, 2019 14:21
List of Middlesex cricketers
chunkyinargyll 28 July, 2019 14:21
[en.wikipedia.org]

Every player has his own Wiki entry.

Sometimes it is mundane, as in 'played two games and was never heard of again' (well, not quite put like that, but effectively so)

Others I had never heard of have quite interesting entries.

I'm going to google three a day until I've read the lot, but in the meantime- Which former Middlesex player was on the organising committee of the 1948 Olympics, and died in Yugosolavia by drowning, when his car came off a precipice?

Re: List of Middlesex cricketers
freddie tittlemouse 28 July, 2019 20:00
Wild guess - Tim Bloomfield.

chunkyinargyll 28 July, 2019 20:16
Afraid not, FT.

He was on the organising committee for the 1948 Olympics, so his Middlesex career had come to and end before World War 2.

Answer this time next week if no-one has got it by then.

I think it is 'gettable' if you know your history, or you could just keep googling the names on the Wiki link until you get lucky and find the right one.

It's a good way to learn about all the players who were way before our time, because some had significant careers outside cricket (or sad endings, like drowning)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/07/2019 20:17 by chunkyinargyll.

freddie tittlemouse 29 July, 2019 15:14
My previous answer was jocular, along the lines of "If the answer is Tim Bloomfield it must have been a bloody silly question"

There was one Middlesex player, can't remember who, died after falling off a ladder while cleaning his windows. You might come across him on your research Chunky.
I think a bizarre deaths thread would be rather tasteless, but quite a few of us have no taste so that makes it OK.
I do have an answer to your question but only with a little help from Mr . Google using a combination of words in the clues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/07/2019 15:16 by freddie tittlemouse.

chunkyinargyll 29 July, 2019 19:06
Rod Hull?

No, he never played cricket.

I think my past player is gettable, in the sense he isn't someone who only played one or two games. He clocked up nearly a hundred appearances over a lengthy career, and I'm confident he was well enough known for things besides cricket that he would probably have had an obituary in The Times.

His son became a junior minister in Edward Heath's government, and a well connected family.

Probably only Seaxe_Man (if he really is 98) will stand a chance of remembering this person first hand.

hdo 29 July, 2019 20:22
I started watching Middlesex in the mid-to-late 90s and for some years I laboured under the delusion that the players I'd seen were part of some great dynasty of Middlesex heroes. Obviously the likes of Fraser, Gatting, Tufnell etc are in that bracket.

But only years later, with the help of the internet, did I discover that some of those players hardly had any first-class career to speak of. A few of the names I remember so fondly from my first games at Lord's are actually not much more than a footnote in the club's history. Blanchett, Goodchild, Moffat, Batt...

chunkyinargyll 29 July, 2019 21:14
hdo- I know what you mean. I have no problem recalling the names of all Middlesex players from 1970, because at the time, as far as I was concerned Middlesex history started in 1970, Anything before that didn't concern me, and anyone who joined afterwards were merely replacements for the 1970 squad, Some were regulars in the first team for only a year or two (Australian overseas Alan Connolly) or only played a few games, Jim Alldis, Bob Herman, Tim Selwood, but I'll never forget them.

Moffatt was another one I had totally forgotten, but I do remember Blanchett Goodchild and Batt.

Now I find it interesting to back to before what I can remember.

adelaide 29 July, 2019 23:47
Seaxe Man has been 98 for so long that the picture in his attic must have disintegrated by now.

Google got me the answer but I'll keep it to myself for now.

Before the 1936 Olympics he asserted that "neither nor his colleagues 'had yet heard of a genuine case of an Olympic athlete being boycotted or impeded because of his non-Aryan origin'". His name has a link to Monty Python. I also found his estate was a few miles down the valley from where my sister-in-law lives. That last might appear to be of no help to anyone else but there is a tidy clue in there.

Adelaide

Mr. Trellis. 30 July, 2019 00:21
Clarence Bruce, 3rd Baron Aberdare drowned in 3 feet of water on October 4th 1957 after his car crashed.

chunkyinargyll 30 July, 2019 08:09
Correctamundo, Mr Trellis.

[en.wikipedia.org]

His entry interested me because his first class career spanned 24 years, from 1905 to 1929, but he only clocked up 96 games, probably because he was a gentleman' and had other things to be getting on with. A first class average of 29.03 would have been quite acceptable at the time I think (uncovered pitches) so that average might be more like 36-38 in today's money).

[www.espncricinfo.com]

His son had a lengthy obit in The Telegraph in 2005.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Odd that The Baron of Aberdare never seems to get recalled in the way some players from way back are. He seems largely forgotten, but a career of over 20 years means he must have been more than a bit part player in our history.

tallliman 30 July, 2019 15:21
96 games out of 4-500 between those years isn't insignificant but it would indicate sporadic appearances. He played 3 half seasons (14-15 games) in 1921, 25 and 26 but apart from that, it was 4-5 games a season.

freddie tittlemouse 31 July, 2019 13:18
While Chunky is churning through Wikipedia would anyone like to name the Middlesex cricketer who died after falling off a ladder while cleaning windows.
He appears to have had a less distinguished life than the Baron above. He played for the first team in the 50s but never scored a run or took a wicket.

chunkyinargyll 31 July, 2019 14:27
The only person I can find who appears to fit the bill is Kenneth Day, who played 3 matches and never batted.

Described as a wicket-keeper and genuine number 11 batsman, who never even made double figures in the second XI, despite playing for a number of seasons.

I can't find any details on how he died, but as he was only 35, maybe it was an accident?

[www.espncricinfo.com]

freddie tittlemouse 31 July, 2019 14:58
Spot on.
I don't think the cause of his demise is on the interweb. I was told this by a long standing Middlesex supporter some years ago.

Fozzie 31 July, 2019 17:31
A few years ago I picked up an old copy of the entry on Middlesex in a series called A History of County Cricket. Dated 1972, the book on Middlesex is by EM Wellings, who was a rather waspish Evening Standard journalist when I was young (and I think formerly a Surrey player - boo).

There are a few, mostly brief, references to The Hon C N Bruce. He first played for Middlesex in 1908, but apparently did not play again until the Championship-winning season of 1920. Wellings describes him as the most naturally gifted of the many amateurs who played for the club between the wars, playing some brilliant innings with superb off-side strokeplay. In his most notable match, against Lancs in 1920, he scored 149 out of 217 in just 145 minutes, with 25 boundaries; and in the second innings he made 51 in 35 minutes in a run chase that ran out of time. He averaged in the mid-30s in the years of the early 1920s, and seems to have filled in for Patsy Hendren when he was on Test duty.

In another old book, The Story of Middlesex CCC by Anton Rippon (1982), Bruce is in the 1921 team photo, sitting next to the captain, F T Mann, who is sporting an extravagantly striped blazer. Bruce appears rather tall and gangly, mustachioed, and the only member of the team to be wearing some form of cravat or scarf.

tallliman 31 July, 2019 20:36
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
The only person I can find who appears to fit the bill is Kenneth Day, who played 3 matches and never batted.
Described as a wicket-keeper and genuine number 11 batsman, who never even made double figures in the second XI, despite playing for a number of seasons.

I can't find any details on how he died, but as he was only 35, maybe it was an accident?

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Itll be in either the 71 or 72 wisden. I'll try and have a look later.

Mr. Trellis. 31 July, 2019 23:28
Who was the former Middlesex player who died as a result of a fall at a well-known Kennington cricket ground? His father captained Harrow School, as indeed did he.

chunkyinargyll 02 August, 2019 09:50
I'm struggling with this one.

I feel I should know the answer, because I'm sure I've heard this mentioned before, but no luck so far.

Mr. Trellis. 02 August, 2019 12:15
OK Chunky. If nobody has answered correctly in the meantime I will reveal the answer tomorrow morning. A European capital city might help!

Mr. Trellis. 03 August, 2019 04:36
The former Middlesex player who died as a result of a fall at the Oval was David Rome.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net