Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex v Kent, 1st August
Discussion started by Jonathan Winsky , 30 July, 2019 19:20
Middlesex v Kent, 1st August
Jonathan Winsky 30 July, 2019 19:20
This match will pit the current top two teams in the south group. If Kent avoid defeat v Surrey at The Oval tonight in a match yet to start due to rain, then they will enter Thursday's match a point clear of Middlesex, although a heavy defeat could cause them to slip below ourselves and Sussex on net run rate. Either way, whoever wins on Thursday (unless the match is a tie or the good weather forecast turns out to be incorrect) will have gone a step closer towards the quarter-finals.

If any combination of Paul Stirling, Eoin Morgan and AB de Villiers are available (it is hoped that all three can play), some players who have made a good contribution in our first four matches will have to lose their place, which is sad for them, but good for the quality of our squad. If all three of Stirlo, Morgan and de Villiers are available, I would be surprised if Dan Lincoln and Max Holden play, and I fear George Scott may be left out. We could try to fit more batsmen in by finding the fall guys from elsewhere, but that would involve changing a formula that has so far resulted in victory 3 times out of 4, and would probably require us to use part-time bowlers, which goes against our strategy of getting the bulk of our overs from five full-time bowlers.

A lot of people attracted to the club by the signing of de Villiers would be disappointed if he doesn’t play, although thankfully the club seem confident enough about his fitness to have marketed this match on social media over the last few days as de Villiers’ return. A lot of the posts which the club have made on Facebook over the last week have attracted comments from the club’s new breed of followers which have asked whether de Villiers will be fit, even when the post has been about a totally different topic, such as the club’s community work or the performance of our disability squad. As I found it funny to see a comment about de Villiers on a Facebook post about a different subject, there was an occasion a few days ago when I clicked on the laughing icon under the comment, which prompted the person who wrote that comment to take revenge by going to my personal account and clicking on the laughing icon under some posts I had made.

It will be great to see Morgan play his first match under the distinction of World Cup-winning captain, when I am sure he will get a good reception.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 00:06 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Kent, 1st August
chunkyinargyll 30 July, 2019 20:01
Can't the club ban people from the Facebook page?

Mr 'Dog team no ab no support' must have posted that comment at least 50 times, and inexplicably he's still there.

If all our big guns are back we should steamroller Kent.

Part of me wants to thrash them, but with AB getting 0, so that prat realises we aren't just a one man team.

Jonathan Winsky 30 July, 2019 22:41
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
If Kent avoid defeat v Surrey at The Oval tonight in a match yet to start due to rain, then they will enter Thursday's match a point clear of Middlesex

I should have written that a win for Kent at The Oval would put them two points clear of Middlesex, which is a scenario which indeed occurred. As they took just 4 overs to achieve their rain-reduced target of 55 off 7 overs, they will arrive at Lord’s on Thursday with a 100% record and with great confidence.

I would like to think that the crowd on Thursday will not be full of people there just to see AB de Villiers, although I think some people may watch the live stream for that sole purpose. If de Villiers plays, he would be far from the only attraction to the match, as I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few Afghan people there, as Mujeeb ur Rahman will face his compatriot Mohammad Nabi, who tonight scored 43 not out off 12 for Kent.

hdo 31 July, 2019 00:39
For anyone who's not aware of this ridiculous AB phenomenon, which is causing all of our social media feeds to be clogged up with barely legible nonsense written by Asian teenagers, just take a look at the comments beneath the YouTube video of our Glamorgan highlights.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2019 00:40 by hdo.

Seaxe_man1 31 July, 2019 07:01
Kent looked impressive in their 7 over thrashing of the Mexicans last night. Afghanistan international Nabi and Kiwi 90mph merchant Milne to the fore. Richmond is sold out and Radlett close to. Uxbridge more slowly as stitched up with Saturday on footie season and club cricket day. Something to do with Sky. All point to The Middle spreading its wings. Remarkable after ten years of T20 rubbish in the main since 2008.

R Simmons

dingy bags 31 July, 2019 11:21
Agree Kent looked the business last night. I don't agree that if AB, Stirlo and Morgan play we will necessarily steamroller them. This would add nothing to our bowling, for a start. Very much looking forward to watching the game.

freddie tittlemouse 31 July, 2019 13:33
Quote:
hdo
For anyone who's not aware of this ridiculous AB phenomenon, which is causing all of our social media feeds to be clogged up with barely legible nonsense written by Asian teenagers, just take a look at the comments beneath the YouTube video of our Glamorgan highlights.
[www.youtube.com]

You don't have to read it you know. Seems harmless to me. It is perfectly legible, but fairly incomprehensible.
I am a bit suspicious that twice we have been told that AB would be fit and twice he has not been fit. Sounds like putting bums on seats under false pretences.

chunkyinargyll 31 July, 2019 13:51
Well, as they were away games the beneficiaries of extra bums on seats would have been Gloucestershire and Glamorgan, so no financial advantage to us in telling porkies.

More like we hoped he might be fit enough, but unfortunately he wasn't.

chunkyinargyll 31 July, 2019 14:31
Morgan and Stirling back-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Seaxe_man1 31 July, 2019 17:16
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Well, as they were away games the beneficiaries of extra bums on seats would have been Gloucestershire and Glamorgan, so no financial advantage to us in telling porkies.
More like we hoped he might be fit enough, but unfortunately he wasn't.
only financial advantage to Mx is Richmond which is sold out. All monies generated at Lord's for Mx T,20 games are collected by MCC. Speculation seven figure sum for each match.

Seaxe_man1 31 July, 2019 18:24
Steamroller chunky. We may need one. The table doesn't lie. Need to be on our A game for this fixture I reckon to get a result.

Jonathan Winsky 31 July, 2019 18:55
Everyone who I expected to play for Middlesex in this match is included in our squad. Still, it is interesting to see Dan Lincoln included ahead of Nick Gubbins and Max Holden (which shows how highly our management rate Lincoln), and James Harris included ahead of Tom Barber.

Kent have named a 14-man squad for this match, consisting of Daniel Bell-Drummond (c), Alex Blake, Jordan Cox, Zak Crawley, Sean Dickson, Fred Klaassen, Heino Kuhn, Adam Milne, Matt Milnes, Mohammad Nabi, Imran Qayyum, Ollie Robinson (wk), Grant Stewart and Hardus Viljoen. They will be without Sam Billings due to injury and Joe Denly due to his inclusion in England’s line-up for tomorrow's first Ashes Test, while Harry Podmore is yet to play in Kent's Twenty20 campaign this season.

George Scott has spoken to ECB Reporters Network ahead of this match.

Seaxe_man1 31 July, 2019 19:37
Blake is a handy banger in the lower order and done us at Beckenham last year.

chunkyinargyll 01 August, 2019 20:12
AB De Villiers

Dog Cricketer

(not really)

rod/ed 01 August, 2019 21:22
Overs 18 & 19 cost us dear with all those sixes. Perhaps the Rabbit should have been his full quota instead of the length bowling with pace. Spin to win.

Seaxe_man1 01 August, 2019 22:05
Spin certainly looked more potent Rod/Ed.

Seaxe_man1 01 August, 2019 22:06
We needed tanks as well as steamrollers chunky. Strong side.

hdo 01 August, 2019 22:47
An infuriating loss. After we had control for quite a while during Kent's innings, we completely lost it towards the end. A score which looked like it'd be 160 suddenly became 180 and then over 200. Our seamers bowled too short and seemed happy to repeatedly bang it in for Blake to crunch over midwicket for six (was it three balls in a row off Finn?) Having said that, Blake batted very well - he ramped a very short ball from Helm over the wicketkeeper and his boundaries were powerful.

Kent managed to find boundaries constantly, and most of their sixes were enormous - not just creeping over the rope, but tonked way into the stands.

Why did Sowter not bowl his 4th over? The final ball of his 3rd over was a wicket - a proper one - bowled. Then Stirling came on and bowled 2 wicketless overs for 23. Very strange.

Our batting never really fired. Our running between the wickets looked lethargic at times.

Crawley's dropped catch was a thing of beauty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 22:50 by hdo.

Fozzie 01 August, 2019 23:04
I think that Sterling came on for 2 overs because Toby's first two went for 35. But it was a surprise that Sowter didn't complete his quota at the end. It was one of those days when our three tall right-arm seamers all looked very samey.

Seaxe_man1 01 August, 2019 23:21
Well we only play Kent once and that is done and dusted. As at the Oval on Tuesday looked very strong and will take some beating. The Middle facing a daunting score showed some cojones. Last year they would have folded.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net