Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ashes to Ashes 2019
BeefyRoberts 06 August, 2019 11:17
Already said Anderson is out of next test,Archer still to prove fitness.
Our Dawid,will he get a chance? To be honest,I really dont know!
The bowling looks fragile,to say the least.With the batsmen not looking switched on,I'm worried by the lot.
The press...saying the players are tired? Come on,that's an old excuse now,and wearing thin,gets used for every sport we get beat in.
World Cup..that was great,but,let's put that on the shelf now,and concentrate on the important one..Ashes,and how to get the team back up from on their knees.

chunkyinargyll 06 August, 2019 11:29
It won't happen, but I'd have

Roy Sibley
Denly Malan
Buttler Foakes (wk) with Bairstow reprieved, but not keeping wicket
Ali Leach or Parkinson
Anderson Mahmood

That's on the assumption Archer isn't fit. I think Foakes is fit, but it's a bit difficult to keep up.

Bairstow survives simply because five changes in one go is more than enough.

Oh- and one other change-

Joel Wilson David Blunkett

Jonathan Winsky 06 August, 2019 18:50
Jofra Archer helped his chances of playing at some point in this series (if not as soon as the Lord’s Test which begins a week tomorrow) by today recording figures of 12.1-4-27-6 and scoring 108 off 99. However, I don’t know whether this performance necessarily indicates he is ready to play in the Ashes, as it came for Sussex 2nd XI v Gloucestershire 2nd XI.

It would help England’s cause if there were lots of County Championship matches being played around the time of the Ashes, as it would mean that at every point in this series, there would hopefully be plenty of players coming off a good first-class performance that England could turn to if they need to make changes. Instead, only one round of Championship matches will start between now and the start of the final Test, so England certainly don’t have this option open to them. Consequently, Archer has had to play a 2nd XI match to prove his form and fitness, and James Anderson may have to either do something similar or (as has been rumoured) play for Derbyshire when they play a three-day match v Australia at the end of this month.

The way the county season has been structured in 2019 and in the last few years has helped England win the World Cup and has helped counties sell tickets for Twenty20 matches. However, the current structure doesn’t help England’s Test side, while the structure for the next few years appears unhelpful to England in all formats as well as to counties.

It is a regular feature of the Ashes that whichever side loses the series finds themselves getting through a lot of players throughout the series. This could end up being true of England if they make a lot of changes from the first Test but cannot turn the series around.

Seaxe_man1 06 August, 2019 19:10
Exactly the reason JW why Graves/Harrison and England Test/50 over teams ain't a good fit. Once the 100 gets going next year The Blast and T20 team will be similarly affected. G and H will figure out a 100 England team to take on the world later.

Seaxe_man1 07 August, 2019 16:04
The Sky penchant to use their pc measurements may be causing the bowlers to put too many balls in the batters zone and vice versa for the batsmen taking guard. A change from World Cup weariness.

adelaide 07 August, 2019 16:21
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
The Sky penchant to use their pc measurements may be causing the bowlers to put too many balls in the batters zone and vice versa for the batsmen taking guard. A change from World Cup weariness.

Are we measuring constables now? I have no idea what "pc measurement" might be - but then I don;t have Sky.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 07 August, 2019 17:55
Tongue in cheek Adelaide. Sky. I now put the mute button on and listen to TMS. Jim Maxwell and Agnew far better.

mglinert 08 August, 2019 14:52
In fact TMS restored to its former glory now Blofeld has been retired.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 16:05
After all of that, the only person to lose his place is Moeen Ali, replaced by Jack Leach.

Joffra Archer replaces injured James Anderson.

tbl 09 August, 2019 16:18
Not surprised that the selectors won't make major changes after the First Test.

Denly, Roy and Bairstow need to score runs at Lords or their places will be under threat.

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2019 16:52
Jason Roy's limitations as a first class (as opposed to one day) batsman cruelly exposed.

Geoffrey Boycott he ain't.

freddie tittlemouse 17 August, 2019 19:09
Morons booing Smith when he came back to bat after being hit horribly on the head. I'd like to see some of them forced to face Jofra Archer without a helmet or a box.

pantherlike 18 August, 2019 10:44
Wasn’t a very Lord’s moment for mine

Fozzie 18 August, 2019 12:27
It's being reported that Steve Smith was dizzy this morning and Australia have requested a concussion substitute. Presumably he must be a big doubt for the Leeds Test starting on Thursday.

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 12:33
In domestic cricket I think there is a seven day rule before you can play again.

Don't know if that applies to tests.

Fozzie 18 August, 2019 12:49
They said not on TMS, though I'm not sure how authoritative that was- it wasn't a situation the commentators had come across in Tests before.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net