Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Middlesex v Somerset, 4th August
Discussion started by Jonathan Winsky , 03 August, 2019 11:06
Middlesex v Somerset, 4th August
Jonathan Winsky 03 August, 2019 11:06
I imagine that this match at Richmond will see Middlesex once again select five players with a lot of batting ability and a little bit of bowling ability, a wicket-keeper who can also be an effective batsman, and five players with a lot of bowling ability but who should not be expected to score quick runs if they are required to bat. This formula isn’t perfect, as the two matches we have so far lost saw our batting come unstuck when we lost early wickets and our bowling get into a muddle if we had some expensive overs, but if the formula results in us winning more often than we lose (as it indeed has), then we will reach the knockout stage and be three wins away from silverware!

The identity of our wicket-keeper and five bowlers has been the same in all five matches so far, and all of those bowlers have done well at various points in this campaign, so it would be a bit of a surprise if we make any changes in that department. I would also be surprised if we any changes to the batting line-up which played v Kent at Lord’s on Thursday.

I imagine that Somerset will take confidence from beating Surrey by eight wickets with eight balls to spare at Taunton last night, despite Surrey posting 203-4. Although Somerset are currently 7th, a win for them tomorrow would mean that their record would become identical to ours, with the teams therefore having to be separated by net run rate.

It would have been great had it been possible for Lower Mound and I to travel to this match by taking the Watford DC or Bakerloo line from South Kenton to Willesden Junction and take the North London line to Richmond, but we will instead have to make our way from Preston Road to West Hampstead and pick up the North London line from there. The competition sponsors will also be disappointed to learn that road closures due to the Vitality Bike Ride may make it harder for people to get to this match. Actually, the sponsors won’t be disappointed, as it is the same company.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 11:46 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Somerset, 4th August
Seaxe_man1 03 August, 2019 13:48
It is sold out JW so imagine we will find a way. I didn't expect Kent to lose to Sussex but the South Group as ever is overall a strong group. Two matches lost. Second best on Thursday most of the time. Cheltenham was winnable but we didn't.

chunkyinargyll 03 August, 2019 14:36
Squad named-

Malan (c) De Viliers, Eskinazi, Finn, Harris, Helm, Lincoln, Morgan, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling, Ur Rehman.

Mike TA1 03 August, 2019 16:23
There is hope for Middlesex, Somerset bowlers have been bowling far to many bad balls, part of the reason for the high score last night.

Somerset had to bring in some of the promising younger batsmen to boost the batting (Peter Trego not selected) and it worked.

Somerset have named the following squad for the match: Tom Banton (c), Babar Azam, Tom Banton, George Bartlett, Eddie Byrom, James Hildreth, Tim Groenewald, Tom Lammonby, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton, Jerome Taylor, Roelof van der Merwe and Max Waller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 16:37 by Mike TA1.

chunkyinargyll 04 August, 2019 14:31
Unfortunately this looks like it is going to be one of those days when the live video stream isn't good enough, so sound only for me via the BBC link.

chunkyinargyll 04 August, 2019 15:53
AB De Livers.

Another 88 not out.

Lion cricketer.

chunkyinargyll 04 August, 2019 18:16
The not very live stream comes in for a bit of stick in this report-

[www.espncricinfo.com]

chunkyinargyll 04 August, 2019 18:20
There was a brief period around the 5th/6th.7th over when I feared Somerset might win comfortably, but fortunately after that they batted like pheasants walking under the wheels of a car.

A non rake assisted performance by Nathan Sowter of 4-29 ensured there was no recovery.

Steve Finn 2-62 less good.

Seaxe_man1 04 August, 2019 19:22
Sowter was the reason they didn't chunky. 4-0-29-4 I think. Complementing the batting of AB, Mala, Simmo. Finn took a great catch but his short pitched balls took some stick but did get two expensive wickets.

Seaxe_man1 04 August, 2019 19:23
Crowd 3825.

Jonathan Winsky 04 August, 2019 20:21
This win means that Middlesex are now 3rd, and are 3 points clear of 5th. The win came largely thanks to the fact we posted our 3rd-highest total, as the way Somerset’s reply went meant that we needed the vast majority of those 215 runs to be able to defend our score. I have repeatedly written that our ability to post big scores or chase targets is largely dependent on whether our top six bat the majority (or preferably the whole) of our innings, and our match results so far in this campaign back up this correlation.

Today, those in attendance saw AB de Villiers at his best. Sometimes, our overseas signings can underwhelm, but I suppose a record so far of two great performances, two disappointing performances and two matches missed due to injury is better than some of our signings in previous seasons. I am still none the wiser why we only have the honour of his presence for just one more group match.

Judging by some of the comments on social media, John Simpson is not particularly popular amongst de Villers’ followers. Yes, it was sad that Ben Scott was packed off to Worcestershire, but history has shown that it was a good idea for the club to persist with someone who has gone on to be a mainstay of our side for more than a decade, in which time we won the 2016 County Championship. What made Simmo unpopular was that he faced the final seven balls of our innings when de Villers was on 88 not out. However, as Simmo scored 17 in that time, it didn’t work out badly for the team, even if it would have been great to see if de Villiers could get on strike and then get to three figures.

Our defence seemed to be going well when Somerset were 29-1 after 4.3 overs, which got their rate required past 12.00. However, 50 runs off the next 2.1 overs meant that we would have to wait a few more overs for the rate required to pass 12.00 again. During this assault from Tom Banton and James Hildreth, a spectator sitting in the row in front of myself and Lower Mound was hit on the nose, so Middlesex physio Pete Waxman went to treat him, which was beyond the call of duty. As Lower Mound felt that we were in a dangerous position, he said that we should move the Pavilion, as Lower Mound said that there were plenty of seats there when he looked during the interval. When we got to the Pavilion, there weren’t any good seats left, so we stood for the rest of the match, which didn’t work out too badly, as it gave us an unobstructed view as the majority of the remainder of the match went Middlesex’s way.

Nathan Sowter’s 4-29 made a mockery of the error to not give him his full allocation v Kent at Lord’s last Thursday. As the spinners from both sides went well, I felt that maybe Paul Stirling or Dawid Malan should have a bowl, albeit obviously not at the expense of Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Tom Helm or Sowter.

Sowter has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

Farmer White 07 August, 2019 03:13
Edit: Realised after I had posted this you already have a Somerset perspective - 'Dasher Denning' - two threads down. Apologies to Dasher - no intention to step on toes. If this is one over the top no problems if a moderator removes. 'Farmer White'.

To introduce myself I write match reports on most days of Somerset first XI cricket. The reports are posted on MTWDs 'sister' site, grockles.com and also on my own website 'Farmer White' Somerset Cricket Writing. A week or so ago my report on the Somerset Hampshire T20 at Taunton was picked up by a Hampshire supporters' forum where it gained some interest. I have since posted links to my reports on Somerset's T20 matches against Sussex and Surrey on supporters' sites of those two counties. In case anyone here would like a Somerset perspective on the match at Richmond the link below will take you straight to the report, entitled The A.B. de Villiers Show on my website.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

I am a lifelong Somerset supporter and so my reports are written from a Somerset perspective. However I try to reflect, as far as I can, the relative merits of both teams. I also try to capture, again as far as I can, the atmosphere of the match and what it was like to be there.

If you click on the 'Middlesex' tag in the list of tags in the maroon side panel on my site you will also find my report on the 50 over match at Radlett - entitled (from a Somerset perspective) Nightmare on Watling Street.

A warning - my reports are not short.

Regards

'Farmer White'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 05:49 by Farmer White.

Seaxe_man1 07 August, 2019 07:25
No problem for myself Farmer. Have enjoyed chatting with away members at Derby and Glamorgan this season on away trips. The member facilities at both counties are excellent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net