Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Tom Smith
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 04 August, 2019 09:23
Tom Smith
chunkyinargyll 04 August, 2019 09:23
Tom Smith has given an interview on the death of his wife from cancer around this time last year.

[sussexcricket.co.uk]

He has two young children, and has done well to manage to get back in to the Gloucestershire first team in the last few weeks.

Good that the players cricketers trust were able to offer support when it was most needed.

I'll be routing for him to put in some good performances for Gloucestershire.

Re: Tom Smith
adelaide 04 August, 2019 11:31
Chunky

That's a really sad story and one i was completely unaware of.

My thoughts went back twenty years or so to a friend who lost his wife to cancer at a similar age, not helped by incorrect diagnosis. It took the two young children a long time to come to terms with it.

Good luck, Tom.

Adelaide

Fozzie 04 August, 2019 12:23
Thanks for sharing, Chunky. This is very sad. Great to see the support Tom received, and it's very commendable that he's been able to turn in some decent performances recently.

Mr. Trellis. 04 August, 2019 16:48
I don't suppose you ever get over a loss like that. Great that he and the youngsters have had the help they have had.
Tom got back into the Gloucestershire CC side due to James Bracey's England Lions call up. He hit a career best 84 at Cheltenham, kept his place against Leicestershire a week later and scored 83 against Worcestershire at the same venue.
Wishing him success and good luck for the future.

Seaxe_man1 04 August, 2019 20:21
I will say Amen to all of the above.

BarmierKev 04 August, 2019 21:08
The smaller picture according to my Glous contact he nearly quit the game,. Given time to mentally heal he persevered.

Due to lack of options he was thrust into no. 5 batting spot at Cheltenham and excelled. Clearly a strong determined character.

Upmost respect.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 04 August, 2019 22:13
Gloucestershire played Sussex at Bristol today, and designated today as Rainbow Day, with collections being taken in aid of Grief Encounter, which is a charity close to Tom Smith’s heart. To mark this, Gloucestershire’s players wore a special shirt and some of them wore rainbow face paint. The shirts will be auctioned off for Grief Encounter.

As would be expected of a side containing two ex-Middlesex players, Glos were made to rue a slow over rate, which caused Sussex’s requirement off the final over to be reduced from 14 to 8. Prior to that over, Ryan Higgins had not bowled, although he bowled the final over, but could not prevent Sussex winning with two balls to spare. Maybe they should have bowled Higgins earlier, as he often helped Middlesex’s over rate when he played for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net