Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Finn - ger Pulled Out In Devastating Four Over Blast
Discussion started by Primrose Hillbilly , 08 August, 2019 22:41
Finn - ger Pulled Out In Devastating Four Over Blast
Primrose Hillbilly 08 August, 2019 22:41
Visitors here may be aware of my views on Steven Finn.

Tonight, he blew Surrey away. He's have been a handful for any batsmen, anywhere, in any format.

He was relentlessly fast, he bowled straight; and he mostly pitched it up on or outside off stump, and his natural bounce did the rest. Instead of dobbing it down and dropping short, he deliberately bounced batsmen, and he strode back to his mark for the next ball with real intent, like a Terminator considering the next victim. He was in "the zone".

Instead of being a bowler that the opposition could tuck into and either milk or take apart, he contributed to maintaining and building up the pressure, such that Surrey had to take a chance against him and the ball went in the air, and he ended up with figures that rewarded his focus and effort.

There has to be an element of aggression and intimidation in a fast bowler's armoury, and tonight, he had that too. One Surrey batsman wore one on the shoulder, ducking into a bouncer, and there was plenty of other fast and nasty stuff that he dished out.

If he'd been in a County Championship game, and bowled like that, he'd either have taken wickets, and / or the opposition would have been bent on survival pure and simple to the end of his spell.

You see, Adelaide, if the opening pair, and sometimes first change too, have built up pressure, and you come on - a former England player too - you don't let them, and the rest of the team, down by lolloping up to the wicket and sending down rubbish that goes for 7-0-54- 0, when you're not mooning around the outfield like a fourteen year - old just dumped by their first girlfriend.

It's competitive sport, where, especially in this year, every little thing counts and the opposition are seeking to take every advantage. It's not the competitive sport as played in that armchair comfy way by J T Murray and Peter Parfitt and Fred Titmus, nor even the now - seemingly - relaxed and gentlemanly era of Brearley, Barlow and Radley. There are no gimme's, it's cut-throat and ruthless and you can't afford passengers.

I know, i know. How mean of me to single him out in the past. Well, his figures of 11-0-65 - 1, usually did that for him!

It's not a case of - adopts prissy voice - "Well, Ayy thinnk he's a loveley, well spoken chepp, ennd he's always so naiice annd polite, ennd Ay've mitt his parents in the Tevven, ennd they're so naice too" - the world is full of nice, polite people. We need 11 blokes in a cricket team who are going to ruthlessly do what they've been selected to, or at least try their hardest, and their failure won't be down to lack of commitment or concentration. You pull your weight, or you're just an extra burden.

For once, in my recollection, Steven Finn did what Stuart Law wanted him to do, which was to be that bowler that he said he used to dread facing when playing over here.

All he's got to do now is do that consistently.

He might even win me over.

One Swallow maketh not a Summer, but I sincerely hope he manages a repeat performance against the Martlets tomorrow. Him coming in with the mild sea fret at Hove that used to assist Snow, and after him Imran and Le Roux, and bowling the way he did tonight would blow anyone away. Here's hoping.

Re: Finn - ger Pulled Out In Devastating Four Over Blast
adelaide 08 August, 2019 23:50
PH

I wouldn't disagree with very much of that. Though if the Lawman had taken the same view as you he might have been doing the business on loan to Leicestershire rather than signing a new contract.

The question is how much time you give to a player who has been struggling before giving it up as a bad job, particularly if injury was one of the reasons a player was struggling. It's not really cutting slack or being extra-nice, just trying to maximise the performances of all the players you have. In order to do that you may have to treat players differently (not unequally) - like managing in any walk of life, really. But let's forget this fantasy that it is being nice to someone because they are nice. It is how you get the best out of them (and avoid the risk of losing a player who takes 60 wickets a year somewhere else).

Brearley understood all that, I think. If he hadn't, he would not have tolerated Edmonds for long. I find the idea that Brearley & co were relaxed and gentlemanly rather odd. Brearley was ruthless (witness the purge of the old guard) and highly competitive (witness his wish for a stable of fast bowlers who would intimidate batsmen). I don't think CC cricket (or test cricket for that matter) has become more ruthless since then (remember Edrich and Close at the Oval). Most old time players think today's crop are soft, though that is hardly an unbiased view.

T20 is a ruthless, or at least unforgiving, game but we don't know how the players of the '70s would have taken to that. T20 being what is, it is quite possible that Finn could bowl just as well tomorrow night, perhaps on a slower pitch, and take 1-50. Any of the bowlers could (except- fingers crossed - Mujeeb).

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 08:12
If you work in an office you can operate at 95% and it won't really matter (we all have days like that).

In professional cricket the difference between 100% and 95% is the difference between being a world beater, or a pie chucker.

Maybe one or two had decided his 95% was his new 100% (the best he could ever be after injury) but last night he was spectacularly back at his best. Speed gun said 87 or 88 most of the time, which is a world of difference to 82. Most of us, who've never faced anything like that would probably say, 'That's hardly any difference', but at the top level it clearly is the difference, because Surrey couldn't cope with him last night.

I wonder if management had given him a kick up the backside, or he read the criticism and thought, 'I'll show you' but whatever it was, it worked.

Seaxe_man1 09 August, 2019 09:05
Finny looked to be bowling 10mph quicker last night. His decline over the past two plus years are in the hands of the previous regime who failed to motivate not only him but others. We had a decent 50 over comp this year the first for donkeys years with the same players. Credit to the Lawman and his team for that improvement. Whatever the format. Winning is good habit and will hopefully flow over in the remaining red ball games. Plus a thank you to AB. A class act who the saffers miss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 09:07 by Seaxe_man1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net