Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Middlesex v Sussex 9/8/19
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 09 August, 2019 09:56
Middlesex v Sussex 9/8/19
chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 09:56
[www.middlesexccc.com]

Looks like it will either be Dan Lincoln or George Scott in for AB De Villiers, otherwise it should be same again.

I've lost a bit of confidence in this weather site, but it looks like a reduced overs game might be possible.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 11:46 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Sussex 9/8/19
Fozzie 09 August, 2019 10:18
Eoin Morgan has pulled out due to a stiff back after last night's endeavours, which leaves our batting looking a bit light.

On the plus side, the club have confirmed that AB will return for ourfinal two group matches, as well as hopefully the knock-out stages.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 11:39
It's a funny old world, isn't it?

Last night Surrey had to contend with De Villiers and Morgan at 4 and 5. Tonight Sussex will have to face Lincoln and Scott instead.

Sometimes life just isn't fair.

I'm not saying Lincoln and Scott can't score runs, but it creates the added problem that Stirling, Malan and Eskinazi know they can't take as many risks early on, because they know what follows isn't very experienced, which probably means a slower start from them.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 12:09
Max Holden has been added to squad.

forecast currently says around 50% chance of rain throughout the hours of play.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 18:35
Sussex won the toss, and we bat first.

Lincoln and Scott in for AB and Morgan.

Jonathan Winsky 09 August, 2019 19:02
As Sussex will enter this match with five wins, one tie, one no result and a blank loss column, it would be a big scalp were Middlesex to win this match.

It is a big blow that Eoin Morgan has metaphorically* joined AB de Villiers on the sidelines, especially as they shared a partnership of 115 in 10.2 overs last night. At least it means that George Scott is adding to his four appearances earlier in our Twenty20 campaign and that Dan Lincoln w gets another chance to show why he has been awarded a short-term contract.

I anticipated that this run of three matches in four days would see us make changes to our bowling line-up, but the fact that all of our bowlers have impressed at some point in this competition means that we have named the same bowling line-up for the eighth match running.

* Well, they aren’t literally on the sidelines together, as I assume that de Villiers has flown to South Africa and that Morgan has not travelled to Hove.

Fozzie 09 August, 2019 19:25
23-4 - where's that torrential rainstorm when it's needed?

Jonathan Winsky 09 August, 2019 19:46
I was hoping this match would be rained-off, as I am only just getting last night’s match out of my system, and a no-result would negate the possibility of the outcome of this match damaging Middlesex’s confidence and the chances of us reaching the quarter-finals. When I saw that Eoin Morgan would be unavailable, I was even more hopeful the match would be rained-off. In the Know your Cricket game, I initially made my prediction on Wednesday evening, and said it would be a tie and that the first innings score would be 50-99. However, once I realised that the forecast suggested there would be little or no disruption, I changed it to a Middlesex win and a score of 150-199. Perhaps I should have stuck with 50-99!

As I have said on many occasions, I feel it is important that our top six bat the vast majority of our innings due to them being likelier than our lower-order to score at 10+ an over during the last few overs of our innings. Indeed, all of our wins have come when our top six have done just that and both defeats have come when our top six haven’t done so. Therefore, it is a big blow that while I was writing this post, number 7 batsman Toby Roland-Jones was brought to the final crease after the final ball of the 9th over.

Two occurrences from our two most recent matches that won’t happen tonight are debate about whether it would be better for John Simpson to be mainly on-strike or mainly off-strike during the final over, and our bowlers having the luxury of 200+ runs to defend. Whatever target we set, I imagine that we will need early wickets to have hope of winning.

I like it when we get our opponents' rate required up to 12 and beyond, but I am not sure if that will ever happen tonight.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 19:55
I had bad feelings about tonight before a ball was bowled.

Nick Gubbins got a hundred for the 2's today, and his experience might have been more useful tonight rather than both Lincoln and Scott in the top order.

chunkyinargyll 09 August, 2019 20:17
At least Eski and TRJ have given us a slim chance.

Jonathan Winsky 09 August, 2019 20:22
After making 42, 40 and 51 in his first three innings of Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign, it was helpful that Stephen Eskinazi made another good contribution by scoring 57 not out and sharing a partnership of 76 with Toby Roland-Jones. And of course, TRJ’s innings of 40 was helpful too. My only complaint about their respective innings is that their scoring rate wasn’t a great deal above a run a ball, which brings home how big a blow it is that Eoin Morgan and AB de Villiers are unavailable and Paul Stirling and Dawid Malan were both out cheaply.

Hopefully we can find a way to defend our score of 127-6.

Jonathan Winsky 09 August, 2019 21:44
I can’t have too many complaints about Middlesex’s bowlers’ attempts to defend a target against a side under little scoreboard pressure. Had we been bowling first or we had more runs to defend, our bowling performance might have been considered a success.

What cost us tonight was that five of our top six failed to pass 7. Had I foreseen that this would happen, I would have predicted a defeat and felt extremely confident that my prediction would prove correct. Instead, I initially predicted a rained-off match then changed it to reflect the form which we entered this match once I realised it would be spared from the rain.

Hopefully Eoin Morgan will be fit to play v Gloucestershire at Radlett on Sunday.

Jonathan Winsky 10 August, 2019 00:15
Stephen Eskinazi has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match:

chunkyinargyll 10 August, 2019 07:12
Sussex won with 3.4 overs to spare, but they did lose 6 wickets in the process, which suggests anything over 150 might have been difficult for them.

I have no problem with either Lincoln or Scott playing, but they have just two first team 50's between them (Scott one each in championship, and 50 overs), so when you have two top order batsmen with only two 50's between them you can't help but fear for a negative income.

Some have said Nick Gubbins is out of form, but the point is he knows how to make first team hundreds (and first team 90's- he's got loads of them). A 30 from Gubbins would have taken us to 157, which might have been enough.

Last night was like a pre-2019 team again, with the experienced batsmen we did have reluctant to go hard, because they knew what followed was inexperienced.

Seaxe_man1 10 August, 2019 07:51
On a bad night for Mx Esky, Rojo and Sowts kept the flag flying.. From 23 for 4 after 6 good effort to bat the overs. Good effort by Nathan 4-0-20-3 made Sussex work for the meagre target.

Seaxe_man1 10 August, 2019 07:52
Quote:
Fozzie
never a sign.

Fozzie 10 August, 2019 09:29
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Quote:
Fozzie
never a sign.

If my memory is right, we haven't had a single weather-affected match so far, which is amazing when one considers how other counties have fared - for example, our neighbours Essex have now had two No Results, including one last night.

BeefyRoberts 10 August, 2019 11:14
Came up against a strong Sussex last night,can see why they are top of the South group.
Seats were good,the Middle 5 sitting together.
Always the usual few not watching the game!
Must say,the set up at that I saw was well done,easy service at bar,plenty of food options on offer as well.
Just one thing...a band,yep,a band playing some noises during our innings and moved away once Sussex came into bat...The old one is good,playing the right notes,just not in the right order!
Looked a full house,no tickets on sale at the door,plenty of ££ made by Sussex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net