Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
T20 v Essex 14th August
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 13 August, 2019 08:22
T20 v Essex 14th August
chunkyinargyll 13 August, 2019 08:22
....at the appropriately named CloudFM ground (Chelmsford to you and me)

Could well be one point each for a washout.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2019 19:36 by London Leprechaun.

Re: T20 v Essex 14th August
Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2019 15:45
Not an easy place to go chunky though our record against the red seaxes ain't the worst. Currently played 28 won 13 lost 15. To date no washouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 15:49 by Seaxe_man1.

Mr. Trellis. 13 August, 2019 15:56
It's a very easy place to go Seaxe_man1. Train from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford and 10 minute walk. It could hardly be simpler.

chunkyinargyll 13 August, 2019 15:57
As per separate thread, we've signed 38 year old Mohammad Hafeez for the rest of the blast.

38 year old batsman, and another spin option, as Mujeeb Ur Rahman won't be available after tomorrow.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 16:19 by chunkyinargyll.

BeefyRoberts 13 August, 2019 16:17
Looks a very good possibility of a rain ruined/affected match.
Must admit,I wouldnt miss not going here,got to be one of the worse t20 grounds!
Once visited,not to return!
We have been lucky with the weather so far,so,one rained off isn't that bad.
1 point better than nothing,but,as it's a sky game,will they insist on a 5 over bash? Or a one ball bowl off?

chunkyinargyll 13 August, 2019 16:50
!5 man squad named- Malan (c), Barber, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Hafeeez, Helm, Holden, Morgan, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling, Ur Rahman.

Seaxe_man1 13 August, 2019 18:04
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
It's a very easy place to go Seaxe_man1. Train from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford and 10 minute walk. It could hardly be simpler.
we are at cross purposes Mr Trellis. I meant for the team and getting a result. Your directions are spot on as I have done that trip on many occasions. But thank you anyway.

R Simmons

BREARS 13 August, 2019 18:26
At last Middlesex are getting this comp. Hafeez is an excellent signing, he can take the new ball like Mujeeb and can bat anyway in the top 7, big experience and will compliment AB in the last few games. Well done Mr Law, you are slowly awakening the dinosaur club.

Jonathan Winsky 13 August, 2019 19:46
I would like to think that 8 wins would be enough for Middlesex to reach the knockout stages, and that is a tally that we would find ourselves within 1 of achieving with 4 matches remaining were we to win tomorrow. However, with us currently 2nd, I am certain that our sights are set higher than merely doing enough to reach the knockout stages, as we would surely prefer to finish in the top 2 to achieve a home quarter-final. Now we seem so close to the quarter-finals, I hope that we don’t find ourselves struggling over the line or even failing to get over the line.

The forecast looks similar to last Friday’s match v Sussex at Hove, when a full match took place, so I don’t know whether to trust the forecast or not.

It will be interesting to see how the availability of Mohammad Hafeez for the first time and Mujeeb ur Rahman for the last time would affect team selection if the weather allows play. Before today’s news about those two players, I assumed that we would select the same five bowlers for the 10th match running and would intend to continue doing so for our remaining matches in this competition. However, as Hafeez is another bowling option, Hafeez could - from our line-up v Gloucestershire at Radlett on Sunday - replace George Scott to give us six good bowling options, replace Nathan Sowter and bowl some (or all) of the overs he would have otherwise bowled (which would be really cruel on Sowter) or replace one of our three fast bowlers (which I can’t see happening). The likeliest of the three possibilities would have to be Scott missing out, although that would be cruel too considering he scored 63 off 30 in this fixture in the Royal London Cup.

Essex have named a 14-man squad for the match consisting of Simon Harmer (11) (Captain), Mohammad Amir (5), Aaron Beard (14), Ravi Bopara (25), Sam Cook (16), Cameron Delport (89), Dan Lawrence (28), Jamie Porter (44), Shane Snater (29), Ryan ten Doeschate (27), Paul Walter (22), Tom Westley (21), Adam Wheater (31) (Wicket-keeper) and Adam Zampa (88).

It is not often I watch Middlesex play on Sky, so this would be a rare experience if the weather allows play.

chunkyinargyll 13 August, 2019 19:54
I would say Scott misses out tomorrow, with Hafeez used purely as a batsman. Scott then back for next two games, before being replaced by AB (assuming all other batsmen remain fit and available)

On Sky tomorrow, but due to rain most of the day tomorrow, so a point would take us to 13, making 17 our new target for guaranteed qualification.

chunkyinargyll 14 August, 2019 17:36
Live stream of covers and rain!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2019 18:05 by chunkyinargyll.

London Leprechaun 14 August, 2019 18:19
Live blog from Essex
Doesn't look like a 7pm start.

Jonathan Winsky 14 August, 2019 18:26
It doesn’t look like there will be a toss at 6:30pm!

BBC’s forecast says that there is a 92% chance of precipitation at 7:00pm, a 67% chance at 8:00pm and an 18% chance at 9:00pm, so that gives little hope of play considering I imagine that the ground has suffered a lot of rain throughout the day in addition to what may fall over the next few hours.

I believe that play must begin by 9:27pm for a 5-over match.

tallliman 14 August, 2019 20:53
Match abandoned without a toss.

adelaide 14 August, 2019 21:34
Kent also rained off and they were playing winless Glamorgan.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 14 August, 2019 22:02
The only match that saw play tonight was the Northamptonshire v Lancashire match at Wantage Road, in which the visitors won by eight wickets to go five points clear at the top of the North group to increase Lancs’ chances of securing a home quarter-final. However, with the quarter-finals coinciding with an Ashes Test at Old Trafford, I have no idea where Lancs would host such a match.

The absence of any play at Chelmsford and Kent’s lack of opportunity to beat Glamorgan means that Middlesex remain in position for a home quarter-final, and so are not currently in line for a quarter-final v Lancs on neutral territory like in 2008. However, the situation could change over the next two nights, in which 5 matches in the South group and 6 in the North group take place, with none involving Middlesex, meaning that by my calculations, Kent, Surrey and Glamorgan will have played one more match than us, and the rest of our group will have all played the same amount of matches as us.

Fozzie 14 August, 2019 22:13
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
The only match that saw play tonight was the Northamptonshire v Lancashire match at Wantage Road, in which the visitors won by eight wickets to go five points clear at the top of the North group to increase Lancs’ chances of securing a home quarter-final. However, with the quarter-finals coinciding with an Ashes Test at Old Trafford, I have no idea where Lancs would host such a match.

There's understandably a lot of anger among Lancs members over the scheduling of the OT Test clashing with the T20 QFs. Apparently none of their outgrounds are suitable for televised matches, leaving Headingley and Derby as possible alternatives.

adelaide 14 August, 2019 22:35
The Euro T20 Slam has just been postponed for a year so if there was any doubt about the potential availability of Stirling and Morgan for knockout stages, it's dissipated.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2019 07:37
It was a joke competition anyway- Scotland, Ireland and The Netherlands (2 teams each). I would imagine the lack on interest was overwhelming- a bit like you know what next year.

Fozzie 15 August, 2019 09:48
Not sure exactly why that makes it a joke competition, Chunky?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net