cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Current Page: 93 of 94

Re: going off the subject
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
13 June, 2016 20:06
I endorse Beefy's comments about the atrocities in Orlando. So many innocent lives lost is beyond words.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

19 June, 2016 10:11
So the Daily Fail is backing the remain campaign,that's my vote sorted on Thursday then.

adelaide (IP Logged)
20 June, 2016 11:35
Diamond

The well established principle that whatever the Fail argues must be wrong runs into problems here.

The Daily Fail is very strongly Leave. The Fail on Sunday is Remain. So that's six editions Leave to one edition Remain. I reckon the principle should lean you towards voting Remain!

I'd hate to go out drinking with the Leave guys. Buy three rounds each and at the end of the evening all you'd hear from them is how they've bought you three drinks...

Adelaide

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
22 June, 2016 17:36
Seriously, tomorrow's EU referendum, is probably the single most important vote any of us will ever have, with far reaching consequences for all of us whatever the outcome may be.

I made up my mind which way I was going to vote right from the outset. However, I really do hope that the turnout is very large, as it should be for such an important event.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
22 June, 2016 17:40
Neverendum day finally approaches.....

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
22 June, 2016 17:54
I reckon it will be Exit from Euro. Especially if we end up playing Portugal

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

22 June, 2016 21:32
No Portuguese yet , we are off to Iceland smiling smiley

pantherlike (IP Logged)
24 June, 2016 12:55
So what's the MTWD brethren reckon about the Brexit? Good, bad or indifferent??

24 June, 2016 13:07
Never talk politics, pantherlike.

It only causes upset, as I suspect MTWD would be divided.

adelaide (IP Logged)
24 June, 2016 14:15
28% didn't bother to vote on such a key yes/no issue. I know we have the right not to vote (and a few find they can't get to a polling station on the day) but I find such apathy, or abdication of responsibility, hard to understand. Almost as depressing as the quality of the campaign on both sides, from downright lies through projections masquerading as facts to metaphorically sticking fingers in the ears.

OK, does that count as equally offensive to those who voted leave, remain or not at all?

The most amusing thing was to hear of ballot papers spoilt because both boxes had been marked.

Adelaide

24 June, 2016 14:34
Quote:
adelaide

The most amusing thing was to hear of ballot papers spoilt because both boxes had been marked.

I used to wonder why someone would do that.

Then I met a woman at work who explained she and her husband always went to the polling station together. Hubby voted one way, and therefore wanted/expected his wife to vote the same way, but she was undecided. As staying at home wasn't an option for her (as hubby expected her to vote the same way as him) she would go along, take ballot paper, but spoil it by marking more than one box.

24 June, 2016 17:35
I think it would be wrong to say how I voted on this site. However, make no mistake, this decision is of the most enormous importance, that will have repercussions for a very long time indeed and there is of course no going back on this decision, it is final.

Suffice to say, it seems the young, that is 18 to 25, voted heavily in favor of Remain, and London the financial centre of the UK also voted heavily in favour of Remain and it seems people over 60 hugely favoured Leave
I also completely fail to understand why someone who is entitled to vote did not do so on a matter of such enormous importance

24 June, 2016 20:04
Just over 2,000 spoilt ballot papers across a turn out of 70% plus is a very small amount (then again it was a Yes No vote so no excuse for spoiling a paper really).

We will probably go the Australian route on points based immigration so maybe we should adopt their policy on voting , you vote or you get a rather large fine for choosing not to.

As for "the City" voting remain , for them to vote leave would have been like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 June, 2016 20:45
As a lot of voters, including myself, did not feel strongly either way, it would have been nice if everyone was asked to allocate 100 points between the two options. Therefore, someone feeling extremely strongly could have put 100 in one box and 0 in the the other box, while someone not fussed either way could have put 50 in each box. I would have probably put no more than 60 for the option I voted for as I could see both sides of the arguments to remain or leave.

I am certain that there were many people who weren’t greatly fussed either way, and yet voted just because they can say to themselves that they used their right to vote. I am sure that some of these voters would have been happy to have registered a vote that did justice to how they felt rather than effectively committed them to being a supporter of one of the two campaigns.

24 June, 2016 21:16
Comres poll for Daily Fail/ITN the day before polling-

[www.comres.co.uk]

I would have got that failure of an opinion poll offline by now if I was them.

25 June, 2016 16:51
I really could not resist, but as political opinion has little place on this site, I will make this my final post on this thread.

I have rarely if ever felt so strongly as I did when I voted. I pressed so hard down when I put my cross for Remain on the ballot paper I think I may have broken the pencil.

In ten years time I think we may look back on this decision with some regret to put it mildly.

On a more light hearted note. I was actually with my late father at the 1966 world cup final at Wembley. There was just under 100000 people there on that wonderful day I think, yet apparently millions of people say they were there when asked.

I suspect in say ten years time when we may be suffering economic and other hardships, and a little boy or girl says to grandpa or grandma, how did you vote on the 23rd June 2016? the reply will come back Remain as it will perhaps with the vast majority of people.

I hope I am wrong, but we shall see

07 July, 2016 20:38
Just got my email back up and running after about a week.

194 unread emails ...... of which 4 actually needed reading and dealing with . Worse than junk mail through the letter box email is smiling smiley

adelaide (IP Logged)
10 July, 2016 18:01
I'm starting to get annoyed at sportsmen holding their hands to their mouths when they are talking. You see it with doubles players at Wimbledon and footballers on the bench. Is this something that has crept in since the John Terry case to negate lip reading?

Adelaide

10 July, 2016 18:38
pb , Andy Murray is still Scottish no matter how much the rest of the UK big him up this evening.

10 July, 2016 18:41
If tactics can be disseminated and dealt with by an opponent who can lip read how else are you going to stop them working out what your saying Adelaide without covering your mouth. Not good telly but if a Championship depends on it well worth it.

Current Page: 93 of 94

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net