cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A WAG!'
MADAVAL (IP Logged)
03 November, 2008 14:34
Sir Allen Stanford came in for much stick last week for cavorting with player's wives and girlfriends.
His excuse was he was unaware of their identity,and indeed his photographer had told him they were Antipodean tourists before snapping away.
Anyway,not much harm done and the girls seemed to enjoy it.
Now,I,m sure many of us have been at a cricket match or some similar public event,perhaps in The Theatre,or at a Concert when we've found ouselves in conversation with a complete stranger only later to discover their close assocsiation with one of the performers.
It can be potentially embarrasing or most revealing.I remember being highly critical of a young batsman one day,only to discover later I'd been talking to his mother.
So do tell us of similar experiences you can remember,in which you too emerged red-faced.

Re: 'DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A WAG!'
comebackgatt (IP Logged)
03 November, 2008 16:24
A couple of years ago I went to see a play in which was an very good actress who I knew was looking for another agent. I met her after the show and told her how good she ( and she was) and things were going along well and it seemed that I was going to sign her up. She then asked me about a couple of the other members of the cast, what I had thought about their performances. Like a fool I gave my honest opinion of one of the other actresses and said I thought she was "wooden" Yes folks you've guessed it, they were partners. Oddly enough she didn't sign up, and to my despair she then landed a part in the West End on a rolling three year contract, getting the job ahead of one of my clients.

(Sm123)

kimmy (IP Logged)
03 November, 2008 17:33
Oh dear!! Comebackgatt! That wasn't funny was it?!!

I bet youre as nice as pie now to everyone?! (can't wait to meet you!)

I've 2 funny stories.... one cricket related so I'll start with that...

Went to the Southgate festival and drank far too much pimms.... On the way to the loo I bump into Mike Gatting! WOW!!! I think how fab! And start trying to talk! Well one I'm Very drunk and two, it's Mike Gatting!! He's very polite and asks if I'm having a nice time, I tell him I've had lunch with Andrew Strauss (he was guest speaker) and go on and on and on about just how great he was and how pleased I was to come along that day..... I then realise that Gatting is due to speak the next day, and I've probably just been really rude!! so in my drunken haze I try to apologise and tell him I couldn't get the next day of work and I'm sure he'll get a great reception, and... Then I just run away and flush my head down the toilet!! Oh dear! probably not my greatest moment!!

Funnily enough my second involves a drunken moment too!!

I'd been to see Chris Evans' show TFI Friday and gone to the pub opposite after as we were told the 'stars' would go there! And there they were.... Anyway it was a nice day and we were stood outside my friend was on the opposite side of the table to be talking to some male... I hear the name Steve Backley (javlin thrower, and hunk!) and I shout across 'Steve Backley? He's is just so georgous!' Where apon this male shouts out 'Hey Steve, there's a girl here who thinks your georgous!' Yep he was standing about 10 feet from me, but comes over!! 'Hello' he says!! OMG!! Actually we had rescued him as he was surround by a bunch of gay fans who were beginning to make somewhat lewd comments, and spent the rest of the time with my mates and I!!

Actually the more I think about it the more I have.... Don't anyone speak to me when famous people are around!!

I complained out loud about the guy at the front of the queue was taking to long and it turned out to be Phil Tuffnell.... He turned to me and said 'alright, alright....' and I retorted 'If I'd known it was you I would have shouted sooner!!' He laughed and said hello and passed me a drink later, so I think that was okay...

I'm going to shut up now....

Kimmy

(Sm105)

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 11:53
Just read this thread for first time. I still have a backlog from my travels. Kimmy 2 excellent stories that really amused me on a Sunday morning.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Janet Davis (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 15:35
I had the time of my life when I was at 'Uni'.

My two best friends shared a flat with a third woman who worked in the pop industry (1965/66). They were always having parties there and I was always invited. I was the envy of my year at college as I met many of the current groups and singers.

My best one was'singeing' Brian Poole's eyebrows. This happened when he could not get their cooker to light and I said that I knew how to light it............ and I did............ there was so much gas knocking around that it went 'boom'.

Ajay (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 16:13
Is that he of the 'Tremeloes' fame, Janet?

Twist & Shout and Do you love me etc

Ah..........Those were the days

Janet Davis (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 16:50
Yes indeed AJ.

Those were the days.

I had Spencer Davis calling me 'coz' (same surname).

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 16:52
My one was when took Olivia to Middx v Durham and we thought we'd have some drinks in Tavern after an incredible game. Our hero that day was Tim Bloomfield for his death bowling much to our amazement, especially given his track record and my unfair prophecy at time. Anyway, Olivia said well done Tim at the pub. To which was responded. "My name is Jamie Dalrymple".

I do have lapses with player recognition Mentioned in my report from Antigua was when I asked and was backed up with "Joycey to give us a wave". He turned his back with Malan clearly visible and with hat off ,no comparison. This did not prevent us asking " R u Joycie in disguise?"

Both stories have been previously mentioned on MTWD , but thought worth repeating. But no competition to Kimmy's anecdotes on this thread. Classics!

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

MADAVAL (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 18:56
And Janet's stories too,we've heard before Kev,though in her case probably not worth repeating.
I believe I wrote an ode to Janet at the time,something along the lines of..
''I singed Brian Pooles eyebrows ooh''
''Ooh Brian I,ve singed your eyebrows ooh ooh ''
and definitely not worth repeating.
Being a bit of a D lister myself,I've many tales to tell of my life in The Theatre,most of them not repeatable,and not being a name dropper myself I'll not bother.

MADAVAL (IP Logged)
16 November, 2008 19:46
Go to the thread 'JD-THE ROCK AND ROLL YEARS'for many more musical memories of times gone by.
By the way Janet which University did you go to?

16 November, 2008 20:38
Quote:
LOVERBOY
Being a bit of a D lister myself,I've many tales to tell of my life in The Theatre.....

Wot.....your a Luvvie??? Rave reviews? Or is there a stage name to all this?

Brian Pool: 331,000 google hits.
Mr D lister himself: 37 google hits.

Similar vintage – not quite in the same range of the alphabet ……..did you accost D listers instead?

I’d not heard Janet’s tale before, anyway.

MADAVAL (IP Logged)
17 November, 2008 11:13
My life in The Theatre 668 was strictly front of house.
You assume I have but one identity,however Mr D Lister has many names and many faces,and his fame or infamy stretches far and wide as your personal experiences of him should have told you.
Anyway 37 hits for LOVERBOY should certainly qualify him for iconic status.
My accosting though is very much limited to A Listers 668,including of course your grascious self whose meteoric rise to stardom on this board alone must place you in that category.
For more Fairy Tales from N.16 go to the revived thread I,ve indicated.

MADAVAL (IP Logged)
17 November, 2008 16:12
Janet,you choose to come and post on my thread,you're most welcome.
You change the subject,no problem.
I ask you a perfectly reasonable question as you need to tell us more,and for the umpteenth time you fail to answer.
Now you may be of the view best to ignore me,but some would view it as rather bad manners.
And as an itelligent woman you should know better.
When one takes advantage of a public message board,one has a certainty responsibility to respond to fellow posters,most rude not too.
Anyway,JD,I'll try again.Where did you go to University and when,and where did you meet Brian Poole and Spencer Davis?
A failure to answer will lead many to make the normal conclusion,that you're just making it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2008 19:52 by LOVERBOY.

Ged (IP Logged)
17 November, 2008 22:10
Strangely, my personal vinyl digitisation project, which has reached album 251, is now playing the original "The Contours" version of "Do You Love Me?" Far better than the Brian Poole and the Tremeloes (also excellent) version.

Ah, now the compilation album has moved on to the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles original version of "You Really Got a Hold On Me", ably (but not so brilliantly) covered by The Beatles.

And on that subject, I should point out that Decca famously rejected The Beatles in favour of Brian Poole and the Tremeloes.

Question for advanced students: what would the county cricket equivalent of that bad decision be?

Janet Davis (IP Logged)
18 November, 2008 20:22
I met many pop groups in my friends' flat in Heathcroft Hampstead Garden Suburb in 1965/66.

SpencerDavis and Brian Poole were only two!

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 November, 2008 00:54
Ged...the equivalent?

Allowing Ian Blackwell to sign for Championship rivals Durham while relying on Omari Banks to fill his shoes with bat and ball seems pretty close to me!

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2008 00:55 by Grockle.

Ged (IP Logged)
19 November, 2008 06:41
Thanks Grockle. I think you;ve probably had the best years of Blackwell anyway. And don't underestimate the potential of Omari Banks, btw. We'll 'ave 'im if you don't want 'im IMHO.

"It's all gone quiet over here" regarding that Beatles question of mine, a few lines up.

Fact is, although we like to moan about losing key players, I can't remember Middlesex ever losing a real star before that player's potential had already blossomed for Middlesex's benefit.

bloke (IP Logged)
19 November, 2008 10:57
Quote:
Ged
what would the county cricket equivalent of that bad decision be?

Letting Ian Blackwell go to Durham?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2008 10:58 by bloke.

bloke (IP Logged)
19 November, 2008 10:59
Ah, I see I was pre-empted by Grockle

MADAVAL (IP Logged)
19 November, 2008 11:52
Come Grockle and Bloke,hardly a question of 'letting him go'more a case of driving him out I'd suggest.
The way he was treated last year really left him with no alternative.
I can understand your anger and frustration but hardly akin to rejecting 'The Beatles'chaps,perhaps beast to continue this particular debate on a seperate thread.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net