cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Fielding Statistics
Posted by: Farmer White
Date: 21/02/2017 12:39
Bobstan

I have no statistics but I do think we could improve our rate of direct hits from the inner ring compared to some of our competitors unless it just feels that way. It often seems to me they hit the stumps more than we do.

I exclude from that three of our team. Roelof van de Merwe who seems a natural. Tom Abell who has that hallmark of a great player - time that others do not have. I have seen him take that split second which seems an age to line up a throw on the run and hit where others throw and miss. The third is Marcus Trescothick, in my view the best direct hitter of the stumps we have on his occasional sojourns in the inner ring. It is not much remarked upon because he spends almost all his time in the slips perhaps all of it for most of his career. I have seen more than one startled batsman depart run out to a direct hit from Trescothick at cover when the ball shattered his stumps probably as he was chuckling at having sneaked one past the old man.

One of my most cherished memories of Trescothick in the field is of an edge through slips down towards the Botham stand. The ball did not look particularly interested in reaching the boundary. Trescothick set off after it at the pace of a steam engine trying to get up speed. The batsmen looked as if they had decided to take a breather by ambling three. They were just getting up to cruising speed for the third when the steam engine bent down a few yards short of the boundary, picked up the ball, turned it into a guided missile and shattered the stumps and the batsmen's illusions in a nanosecond of sheer brilliance.

The next batsmen had had his illusions shattered before he left the pavilion. Almost immediately he edged past slip, the ball retained its aversion to reaching the boundary, Trescothick gradually got up a head of steam and to cries of, "Run Out! Run Out!" from the Botham and Trescothick stands, the batsmen settled meekly for two as the more leisurely missile thwacked into the keeper's gloves just above the stumps. It is not just the wickets from direct hits it is also the subsequent runs they stop and the pressure they build. It would make a difference over the course of a match and a season.

As to Sir Dave Brailsford, Bobstan, I imagine he would advise that next time you aim for £5.01.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net