cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: And so it all starts with Essex
Posted by: mikeindex
Date: 14/04/2017 18:40
… not to mention that quite a few of us were at the game, and may well not have had computers with us? And even those who did may have preferred to carry on watching, rather than rush to the Stragglers Bar in haste to be the first to rubbish the team we notionally support?

Or of course their computer batteries may have run out shortly after lunch.

Anyway, now back home and safely plugged in, a few thoughts on today's play:
It was on balance a bit of a disappointing day. There were soft dismissals: Marcus played a terrible shot after getting becalmed for a while (having looked very solid previously), and James (as he does) was making batting look easier than anyone could believe possible until he carelessly hooked one, with beautiful timing, straight to long-leg.

That said, it is clearly not an easy pitch to bat, or at least to score, on. The one that got Pete (after a very nice and responsible knock) clearly either stopped on him or bounced more than expected, and a few from Harmer late in the innings lifted and spun wildly (and he doesn't look like a bowler who puts a massive amount of revs on). My hunch is that 209 might not be too bad a score.

I've just been onto Cricinfo and seen the close of play score. I had assumed there would be no more play after the bad light stoppage.

I see Jack and Roley are already on, one of Essex's left-handed openers is out and they have no more left-handers till no. 8. Unfortunately the not-out one is Alastair Cook. An intriguing situation.

I confess to feeling a little worried about Young Tom. It's not just that he's not making runs, but he seems, possibly, tentative and anxious like a young man who is desperate to justify the responsibility thrust upon him.

There is of course loads of season still to go, and any impression formed at a range of 75+ yards is hardly conclusive. Please, please do not lump me with those contributors keen to write off any player on the basis of a couple of bad days, or to leap to premature and over-psychologised judgments at a moment's notice.

It was a pleasure to meet up again with Wickham, Bagpuss, Julia, Old Boy and Mike the Lens (though he'd put the lens away by the time I caught up with them as his hands were apparently turning blue), not to mention Tony, Greg and the other chaps on the Hill who don't post here. (I'd already run into Tractor during the MCCU game, curiously enough in the bar).

Random reflection - do we have an official vice-captain in the CC?

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net