cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 2 homes wins for top spot starting with Hamps
Posted by: Bagpuss
Date: 06/05/2019 10:43
Strikes me that team selection has been hamstrung by our early success. 4 wins in 4 and the mantra is "don't change a winning team". Bristol was "a blip" at a ground that seldom suits us, in a derby match (and they often defy the form books). On to Radlett. A bad day at the office. Away. An outground. Poor outfield by some accounts. (Insert excuse of your choice here). We'll be fine in the next match back at Fortress Taunton.

Except we weren't. We were playing the team at the top of the table, which didn't help (insert excuse of your choice here).

So now we're left with a s£!t or bust match against Surrey tomorrow. As far as team changes go I think it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. (Personally I think Tom should just hand a team sheet to Rory Burns at the toss with 11 Roelof van de Merwes). I do wonder if some of the bowlers are feeling a bit jaded - Craig, Lewis and Josh have played every match this season I think, they have been awesome (and their batting has proved as important as their bowling) but its all miles in the legs (overs, runs and fielding). Plus there is a lot of season to go.

The batting on that well-known cricketing surface, paper, is as good as anyone's (I will admit to being unsure about Azhar, but he's averaging 43+ (above the Salt, England's latest call-up). Banton was the new Messiah after the Kent game, now he's playing ahead of Davies to 'keep him happy'? Really? Trego made a hundred a couple of weeks ago. Hildreth and Abell have made important contributions without the big score.

I am concerned about the team-one-spinner mantra as that plays into our opponents hands at away games. I understood bringing in Jamie O - he was our highest wicket taker in white ball cricket last season. But he needs a score to defend. He's unlikely to be the bowler to give you 10-2-38-0, more the 9.2-0-62-4. And that's ok. Having a bowler who can blast out the tail in his 2nd/3rd spell is great but he needs batsmen to score runs and other bowlers to knock over a few at the top, along with some to keep a squeeze on those middle overs so there is pressure to score. Does that mean Jack Leach? Maybe. I don't remember seeing him play list A. Max? Most teams seem to want a wrist spinner/googly bowler and he gives you 20 runs in the field if not with the bat.
Tbh I have no idea!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net