cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Are we going to appeal Arrowgate?
Posted by: Peaches and Creosote
Date: 05/10/2017 23:14
Quote:
adelaide
P&C
If it went to two divisions of 9, neither Middlesex nor Somerset would care a fig about the two points. It does seem farcical that the structure could be changed at this stage purely (it would seem) to make the two points inconsequential.

It is stretching credulity to argue that other teams would be hurt by their last matches having retrospectively become meaningless. Isn't that exactly what happened last year thanks to the retrospective relegation imposed on Durham? The only team "hurt" there was Durham. Kent claimed that they, rather than Hampshire, should have got the benefit but without the penalty there would have been no benefit to argue about, so they were in reality no worse off.

I disagree with your reference to the two points having "rightly" been lost. Or maybe it is the inference that is meant to be drawn with which I disagree. The initial deduction was totally bone-headed in my view. However, once made, and with the next round of matches having started, it quickly got to the point where it would have been wrong to reinstate them. You don't have to think the initial deduction was justified to think that the points should not be restored now.

Adelaide

Ade - the original decision to deduct points was wrong. I said that in my first post. The reason why those points had been ''rightly'' lost by the time your boys pitched up in Taunton was because your cricket managers had sat on their @#$%& and done nothing about the deduction by then. Proper action was needed as soon as the deduction was made. Unless the ECB change their own rules on relegation more than a week after the season has ended, Somerset will go down if Middlesex now have those two deducted points restored. That would be grossly unfair. Somerset believed they knew what they needed to achieve in their final game against you to beat the drop and had every right to know. The spectators at the game also deserved to know at the time if they were watching a battle for Division One survival or a meaningless encounter.

P&C

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net