cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Are we going to appeal Arrowgate?
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 07/10/2017 13:13
At the forum, Middlesex chief executive Richard Goatley sounded confident that ECB would give us a fair hearing, although I don’t think anyone feels certain whether our points deduction will be overturned. A lot of the comments made at the forum about Arrowgate were about why we struggle to control our over rate (2017 was the fourth successive season in which we lost points for this, while there must have been plenty of near-misses in that time considering the regularity with which the scoreboard shows a negative over rate) rather than about the deduction being unjust. Indeed, some attendees (and I think some posters on MTWD or social media) feel we deserved our deduction.

It would certainly cause a lot of resentment if we retain our division status, whether this be way of our deduction being overturned and Somerset going down instead, or there being a return to nine teams in each division. It is for this reason that I prefer the idea of us accepting our relegation.

It would be a surprise if there is a return to nine teams in each division, as ECB seem committed to a fixturelist in which everyone plays 14 matches, with the teams in division one playing everyone twice. If there is a return to nine teams, then everyone would play six opponents twice and two opponents once, so it could work, although I don’t think ECB have identified any need for this.

As there doesn’t seem to be much media coverage about our quest to have our points deduction overturned, it doesn’t sound like there is much reason for our supporters to feel hopeful of us retaining our division one status or for Somerset’s supporters to feel fearful of being relegated. However, there must be a decent chance we could get our points back considering the assurances allegedly made by the umpires.

For as long as Taunton is conducive to spin, Somerset's supporters and officials can enjoy at least of half of their matches without fear of their bowlers getting through their overs slowly!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net