cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: What's the (Bonus) Point
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 03/01/2018 12:05
IIRC when bonus point came in the number of batting bonus points was potentially unlimited and there were cases where teams racked up eight or nine batting points, so the imbalance was worse. Before that didn't we have first innings points? That sometimes resulted in the entire focus moving on to which team could top the other's score.

The system is simple and introducing greater complexity has its risks. The idea that you lose three bowling points if the oppo score 300 but not if they score 299 seems wrong.

One of the flaws that I see is that it takes no account of difficulties caused by the pitch. If both teams are bowled out for 150, no batting points for either, so some matches are worth less to both teams than others. There might be something to be said for having fixed totals of batting and of bowling bonus points, with the distribution between the teams based on their batting and bowling performances. If both teams score roughly the same, they get half the batting points each, regardless of whether both teams have scored 150 or 450.

The Lancashire match was a good example. We needed to win but we also needed more batting points. Under my scenario we would have got them. It could be argued that that would remove the incentive to provide a better pitch in the first place but incentives cut both ways, as the points position meant that Somerset had every incentive to produce a poor (but not deduction-level poor) pitch for the finale. I should stress that I an simply using these games as examples with which I am familiar, rather than arguing we was robbed or anything like that.

The truth though is that every such system would have quirks that open up the possibility of gaming the system.

A final thought - what if weather prevents one team bowling on a greentop (or one team batting on a road) for long enough to have a chance of matching the points garnered by the opposition? A bit unfair but if you award a default number of points you are effectively doing what couldn't be done on Arrowgate - predicting what would have happened.

Adelaide

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net