Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Ravi Patel to leave Middlesex
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 09/01/2019 17:43
SM1 - Agreed, though he was injured quite a bit. Lord's pitches certainly did not help. If you want wickets which favour your strong seam attack, it is not surprising that your young(ish) spinner does not get much of a look in. I had hoped that he would get a regular spot in CC2 but it was worse - pitches pretty much everywhere were seam-friendly. Ollie's slip catching and his potential (rarely seen in recent years) to score decent runs just about kept him afloat but for Ravi it pretty much all depended on his bowling.

I suppose one rather unflattering (to the club) way to look at is this. The English game is not blessed with high class spinners. If you think you have got one, you need to cherish them and not let spin be squeezed into being an over rate tool. That may mean different types of pitches (I don't mean Ciderabad) even if it does not play to the strengths of the established attack. It probably also means protecting them from having to bowl what suits T20 but would be regarded as near filth in the CC.

But in order to be that unflattering, I am making too many assumptions. Even the most promising players do not always develop, for all kinds of reason - confidence, injury, peaking early - and it might be that whatever the club had done we would be in the same position.

Adelaide

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net