Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Malan benefit year
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 14/01/2019 19:11
I congratulate Dawid Malan on being awarded a testimonial, which he deserves for his loyalty to Middlesex and for his contributions to the two trophies and one promotion we have achieved during his time at the club.

Nick Compton’s testimonial in 2018 included an expensive dinner and a few events in which celebrities were invited, which appealed much more to the prawn sandwich brigade than it did to the average cricket supporter. I am not sure if Malan’s testimonial in 2019 will be much different, as more money can be made from corporate people, especially as supporters probably feel less need nowadays to boost players’ bank balances due to these players earning much more these days. I am confident that Malan will have little trouble coping financially when his career ends, as he is often seen on Sky when he is not playing for Middlesex, England or a foreign Twenty20 side (he is currently playing for Khulna Titans in the Bangladesh Premier League). And he is highly likely to be sought by a side in The 100 next year.

It would be nice if there could be a special match arranged open to supporters (as opposed only open to people who buy hospitality) which is played in or near London.

I would have thought that the next few years will see testimonials granted to other Middlesex players who have been in our 1st XI since our promotion in 2011, such as Steven Finn, Eoin Morgan, John Simpson, Toby Roland-Jones, Sam Robson and Ollie Rayner (Tim Murtagh has already had - to use the title used in this instance - a benefit year).

It is also great news that Malan has signed a contract extension.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net