Latest news:
Welcome to ICF, folks!
Please register to become part of the Indian Cricket Fever family.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
ddddddd
Max
07 May, 2010 08:13
Ok Birbal, tell us the answer smiling smiley

India - World Cup winners 2011!!!
Champions Trophy winners 2013!!!
Congrats to Indian team and all Indian fans!

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
07 May, 2010 14:49
Not yet, need some more guesses... there was clue in my first post about him...

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
15 May, 2010 20:59
He is not Indian... that is big clue... any guesses?

audioman
audioman
07 June, 2010 15:47
Where's the pic?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
07 June, 2010 16:12
See about 8 messages above...

audioman
audioman
07 June, 2010 17:43
Oh, is it visible to everyone else? I didn't see it, that's why I had to ask. Anyways, stumper who is not that famous and not Indian but looks so. So, I'm guessing Pakistani. Saleem Yousuf was one of the better keepers Pakistan had, and surely was quite a bit well-known, so let me guess Ashraf Ali. Wasn't he the one that was later replaced by Wasom Bari?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
15 June, 2010 03:47
good guess but no...not Ashraf Ali...

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
15 June, 2010 06:46
Taslim Arif...

I think this guy made the first double hundred as WK....

24 needed with a bunny coming in at 11? No problem!

audioman
audioman
15 June, 2010 17:03
Ah yes. I am sure Ananth is right. He hit the double against the Aussies too, good feat that.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
15 June, 2010 19:43
Yup... it is Taslim Arif...

I think I was reminded of him when someone started a discussion on the most UNLIKELY Test double centurions...

Of course, Jason Gillespie... is the winner in that category...smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
15 June, 2010 20:01
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3649/3428765369_49925d4463.jpg

audioman
audioman
17 June, 2010 18:10
Looks too Indian to me. SLA, and that pic looks to be from THAT era. I have no clue between the two, but I am willing to bet it is one of Bapu Nadkarni or Salim Durani. Oh, unless of course the guy actually turns out to be a quick bowler and the pic is an aberration. But then, how many left-arm quicks have played for India etc etc. Ok, am sticking with the two.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
17 June, 2010 18:12
Good detective work audioman...

yes, it is "Prince Salim"... we remember his six hitting but forget that he was a pretty good SLA...

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
17 June, 2010 18:20
Who is this?

http://www.wccc.co.uk/newsPics/image0.jpg

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
18 June, 2010 08:27
Looks Indian but not necessarily played for India(looking at the attire he looks to be in England).....

Not too many Indians like this(certainly not Nasser Hussain or Raman Subba Row)....

Maybe Dipak Patel, who I think grew up in Britain but moved to NZ? The guy who opened the bowling in 92 WC?

This guy looks like him too....

ddddddd
Max
18 June, 2010 09:19
^ Yes it does look like Dipak Patel.

Ok here's another one...

http://wimg.co.uk/GLD.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2010 09:21 by Max.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
18 June, 2010 18:53
Devang Gandhi?

ddddddd
Max
23 June, 2010 18:55
Good guess, it's Vijay Bharadwaj. Both these guys were very lucky to play for India (even if it was only a few matches) with their limited ability.

audioman
audioman
23 June, 2010 22:16
Vijay was Man of the Series in his first series. In RSA, wasn't it? Man, he was the Retinder Singh Sodhi of that time. Know a little bit of every aspect of the game, have no clue which one I really am. The kinda galli cricketer everyone on this message board is.

ddddddd
Max
24 June, 2010 13:08
Quote:
audioman
Vijay was Man of the Series in his first series. In RSA, wasn't it?

Are you sure about this? I seem to recall he did reasonably well only at home. Remember that both Gandhi and Bharadwaj were completely exposed on the tour of Australia in 1999/00.

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
12 July, 2010 02:48
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/453607.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 17:38 by ananthd.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
12 July, 2010 06:07
I can't see the pic... can others see it?

infotechproximity8
infotechproximity8
12 July, 2010 09:33
India's Test record against Australia over last 12 years:

Played 26, Won 10, Lost 10, Drawn 6

audioman
audioman
12 July, 2010 17:05
Can not see the pic.

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
12 July, 2010 19:55
Sorry, big boo boo on my part....

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/115400/115491.jpg

Clue: This guy can be considered one of the greatest FC SLAs of all time.....

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
15 July, 2010 20:24
I guess nobody cares smiling smiley

The guy above is Palwankar Baloo, arguably one of the greatest stories in cricket.....

Baloo a Chamaar(untouchable) made his way from being Mali who kept pitche in Pune to a hero of the Bombay Triangular/Quadrangular/Pentagular tournaments; His caste meant he never captained the Hindus(in that pejorative but undoubtedly first class tournament of the day), but he never was cowed down by the English ruling class or the anglophile Parsi....

Almost every batter who faced him(this includes stalwarts such as CK Nayudu) rated him the best spinner they've faced and FC record bears this out and he likely was the first world class player from India....

The guy took an 8-fer in his first FC match and the first Indian to take over a 100 wickets in the Indian's first overseas tour of England and in the first match against MCC by an All Indian team at Lords, he acquitted himself very well....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2010 20:30 by ananthd.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
15 July, 2010 23:42
ananthd...I knew it was Baloo...but didn't want to say right away...

The reason I knew is I have a book with the same pic.

Anyway, he also had a couple of brothers who were almost as good...

It is a sad thing that in India we don't celebrate our history much...if at all...

ddddddd
Max
16 July, 2010 09:36
Quote:
ananthd
I guess nobody cares smiling smiley

Not really...it was just too difficult smiling smiley From the writeup above, this Baloo dude must have been a great spinner in his era. I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen or heard any reference to his name before this.

audioman
audioman
16 July, 2010 15:00
Yup, it was just too difficult. Never knew about the guy. Good one. You go again then Ananth.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
16 July, 2010 18:57
Baloo's brothers were Shivram, Vithal and Ganpat...

And they formed the core of the Hindu team in the early 1900s...

In fact Baloo's success allowed the youngest Ganpat to get a Bachelors degree from Elphinstone College in Bombay...as Baloo paid his brother's fees...

All played for The Hindus in the Quardrangular and later Pentangular tournament...

Here is his FC record from CI...they have the same pic!!!

[www.cricinfo.com]

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
16 July, 2010 20:53
Yes the Palwankar brothers are a remarkable family, as good as the Waughs, the Hadlees, the Crowes & the Amarnath's.....

I believe Vithal Palwankar was a truly great batter(considered the best in the country for his time) who was overlooked for captaincy due to his background....

Really some of the pre-independence cricketers were very hardy men and some aspects boggle my mind(like CK Nayudu's extraordinary length of career)....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
16 July, 2010 21:33
In Baloo Palwankar's struggle to first play and then lead the Hindus I see foreshadows of Frank Worrell's struggle to lead the West Indies... of course by then playing for West Indies was no problem for a black man...but hard to imagine that till late nearly 1960 only WHITE player's were allowed to lead the West Indies...

fletch.
fletch.
04 April, 2011 20:51
Quote:
anu_d
Quote:
Birbal
misleading? how?

These B&W times guys...we havn't seem them at all...and they were not in the media.....so to me many of them look alike

Can we please not have these racist comments on here? Thanks.

DanFW3
DanFW3
28 August, 2011 13:09
Looks like an Aussie, my guess is D Lillee but you hint it's a stumper implying a wicket-keeper.

DanFW3
DanFW3
28 August, 2011 13:20
Whoops, sorry, my guess related to the guy who turned out to be Taslim Arif. Wrong country, wrong player.

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
29 August, 2011 18:49
No problem DanFW3 it is supposed to be not very obvious...

TOTOYU
The Silver Sunlight
25 October, 2013 22:10
Born in India, Jewish by birth, played county cricket for Middlesex and scored a first-class century at Lord's.Who am I?

TOTOYU
The Silver Sunlight
29 October, 2013 17:59
No response.Is this thread still live?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
30 October, 2013 20:49
Actually this thread if you went through it, was about identifying a picture posted...

But I guess we could play the game your way too...

Could it be Ronnie Irani?

TOTOYU
The Silver Sunlight
31 October, 2013 12:26
INCORRECT.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net