Latest news:
Welcome to ICF, folks!
Please register to become part of the Indian Cricket Fever family.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
MESSAGES->author
Birbal
08 February, 2009 20:13
OK next comparison....

Simon Katich v. Michael Clarke

Desh Premi
Prasad
09 February, 2009 01:43
katich is a domestic run machine..but puppy has had more success, puppy has also been a lucky SOB, he always seems to have the rub of the green on most plumb LBWS.

Overall I would say Katich for tests, Puppy for ODIs.

Desh Premi
Prasad
09 February, 2009 22:52
How about this H2H:

As ODI batters, Yuvraj Singh vs Andrew Symonds.

MESSAGES->author
Meet_New_Mr_India
10 February, 2009 00:42
UV on any given day.. more destructive.. HONEST...

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
13 February, 2009 19:50
This is a tough one... Symonds has better numbers...but Yuvvy has shown he can play crucial role too..

Think of the match winning innings he has played... I think after the Big 2 i.e. Tendu and Gangu...he has the most ODI Man of the Match awards... Can someone confirm?

Indian well wisher
Indian Well Wisher
14 February, 2009 21:25
UV wins hands down against Symmo..who is a freak player, more valuable for all round talent than just batting..

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
06 March, 2009 19:44
Has this one been done before? If so apologies...but if not...have at it..

Viv Richards v. Brian Lara....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
27 March, 2009 19:52
No takers on The King v. The Prince...?

MESSAGES->author
Gabbar
27 March, 2009 21:17
Birbal since I have been watching cricket, I think the best batsmen I have seen are
1.Tendu
2.Prince
3.King
4.Gavaskar
5.Guru Ghantal

I know King was killer but prince has done similar things for a lousy team - After 1950s, I think 1 and 2 above are the best batsmen that I have seen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tendulkar is the greatest cricketer of all time

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
27 March, 2009 21:31
So you pick Prince over King...eh?

MESSAGES->author
Gabbar
27 March, 2009 21:47
yes on pure batsmanship - this is regardless of match situation, 1st innings, fourth innings or whatever other criteria used - I think tendu and prince have been the best

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tendulkar is the greatest cricketer of all time

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
27 March, 2009 22:14
OK, fair enough...now you need to pick the next head to head...smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
27 April, 2009 19:33
Gabbar didn't pick an H2H...

So here goes...

McCullum or Dhoni

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
29 April, 2009 21:18
I pick Dhoni as he is not only a great batsman and keeper but also a very good captain...

pottspoint
sports is fun
11 May, 2009 09:43
dhoni hands down

captain - still learning but commands respect from his team .
wicketkeeper- keeps well to spinners and fast bowlers.
batsman- can defend ( lords test ) to save the match can attack ( nagpur vs aus 2008)

can play any format t 20 , tests, odi, any position from 3-8 in all formats .
theres more to come from dhoni

my h2h

wasim akram vs shane warne

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
12 May, 2009 22:21
Wakram as bowler....

Warne as everything else(fielder, captain, batter etc)....

ddddddd
Max
13 May, 2009 19:10
I will go with Akram also. The sheer variety of his bowling was unbelievable, and he made it look easy at all times.

My H2H: Ajay Jadeja vs Yuvraj Singh as ODI players.

India - World Cup winners 2011!!!
Champions Trophy winners 2013!!!
Congrats to Indian team and all Indian fans!

pottspoint
sports is fun
14 May, 2009 04:32
i willl go with akram as well just a touch ahead of warne as akram was a clean hitter .

i will go for yuvi . cleanest striker of the cricket ball.

my h2h kevin peiterson vs ab devilliers

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
19 November, 2009 01:14
I would go with Pietersen...

But really not that much between them.. dispite what English writers think...smiling smiley

How about...

Shaun Pollock or Richard Hadlee... as all rounder...

pottspoint
sports is fun
19 November, 2009 04:21
pollock for his consistency and batting. hadlee was not as confident with the bat as pollock. hadlee had the measure of best batsman , while pollock was regularly wallopped by hayden and gilly , thats a tough one.

my h2h

lara vs ponting

i think lara cause ive never seen lara play any different , ponting has to be defensive in india lara was the same anywhere anytime, any wicket, any situation.

ddddddd
Max
19 November, 2009 05:51
Lara over Ponting quite easily. Lara, like Tendulkar was a genius. Forget the stats, etc. When they are at their best, it's difficult to imagine a more inspiring sight on the cricket field. You will never get such a feeling with ordinary mortals like Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, etc...no matter how well they play.

My H2H: Warne vs Muralitharan

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
19 November, 2009 14:03
Max that was done earlier in the thread....

And to repeat myself... I pick Murali... with 66 5 Wicket hauls he is unmatched...

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
19 November, 2009 20:39
VVS Laxman v Mark Waugh....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
20 November, 2009 02:25
Tests VVS... ODIs Mark Waugh...

wah
wah
22 November, 2009 20:56
Mark Waugh

Sehwag vs Yuvraj?
I'll pick Sehwag...

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
22 November, 2009 21:17
ODIs Yuvraj....

Tests Sehwag....

24 needed with a bunny coming in at 11? No problem!

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
23 November, 2009 00:09
Alan Border v. Steve Waugh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/11/2009 00:10 by Birbal.

ddddddd
Max
24 November, 2009 13:20
I would select Border...slightly better batsman than Waugh. And a much better fielder.

How about Chris Cairns vs Andrew Flintoff?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
24 November, 2009 23:32
Now that is a toughie... I'd pick Cairns by a whisker...he has the better stats... and he didn't have half as much support as Flintoff...

audioman
audioman
08 June, 2010 14:29
So, so you gonna pick or what?

ddddddd
Max
09 June, 2010 05:43
Ok let's go for a new one:

Tamim Iqbal vs Salman Butt

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
09 June, 2010 15:44
Tamim Iqbal by a long way....smiling smiley

audioman
audioman
09 June, 2010 16:32
Ah, thats a good one actually. Salman Butt, I think, has the better head on his shoulders. By pure talent, Tamim Iqbal is head and shoulders above Butt. Tamim has all the shots in the book, and has shown the ability to hit the ball to all parts of the ground. Salman Butt is very restrictive in his hitting areas, concentrating primarily on the extra cover and behind areas on the off-side. There have been great players, like Lara and Ganguly, who have made their daily bread out of it, but for someone not blessed with a similar eye, Butt needs to develop his game to start hitting down the ground a little bit more. And he hasn't done that. At this point, going purely by eye, Tamim is the better batsman. But its not as straight-forward a comparison since Butt has been playing for a while now, as opposed to Iqbal. Tamim for me, anyways.

audioman
audioman
22 June, 2010 15:49
Arite. I got a new one, a slightly different take here:

Mark Waugh or Shivnarine Chanderpaul?

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
22 June, 2010 18:20
What take are you suggesting audioman?

In terms of doggedness and fight...Chanders... in terms of elegance and looking good while batting...Mark Waugh....

A better comparison would have been Chanders and STEVE Waugh... both batted ugly but effective...

audioman
audioman
22 June, 2010 19:15
Yeah, thats why I figured let's go in for the not so obvious comparison here. If you look at the two, their overall stats are not too dissimilar, even though they were totally from different moulds. But my question here is - would you prefer a silken player in Mark Waugh who could look sublime in one game and falter the very next. Or would you have a Chanders that will at least occupy the crease for a while, consistently game after game....

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
22 June, 2010 20:01
My signature photo says it all...no?...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2010 20:02 by Birbal.

MESSAGES->author
ananthd
23 June, 2010 15:27
You're selling Sunny short, Birbal....

Sunny was a beautiful player to watch(dogged though he might have been) Chanderpaul is FUGLY to watch...

24 needed with a bunny coming in at 11? No problem!

MESSAGES->author
Birbal
23 June, 2010 16:03
Yeah.... I thought about it too... Sunny was fun to watch... and watched him lot I did as a kid...

But the thing about Sunny is the kind of feeling of safety and solidity he brought when he came out to bat... same with Chanders...that is what I was trying to capture..

audioman
audioman
23 June, 2010 21:15
From whatever I have seen and read of Sunny, I wouldn't put him alongside Chanders, nor with Mark Waugh. He was a weird combination of doggedness and silken touch. But without a doubt in my mind, I would call him an accumulator of runs and stop right there. Sunil Gavaskar was definitely an over achiever.

Personally, I'd take Mark Waugh over Chanders coz cricket, at the core of it, is entertainment. Don't get me wrong and saddle me with the T20 loving crowd, entertainment in all aspects of the game - batting, bowling, fielding, slip-catching, outfielding, close-in catching..... And Mark Waugh was just a gifted player everywhere. Replace him with a Carl Hooper and I'd pick Chanders easily. But Mark Waugh was not as much of an under-achiever as Carl Hooper I feel. He was never the sort of player to hit big centuries and concentrate for too long, he seemed bored after a little bit of batting. So he achieved just a couple under par.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.