Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
AGod 12 May, 2018 13:50
Swinging around corners...

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 13:54
I wish I could say our batting inspires confidence........

Really have no idea what Tom was thinking before lunch. That daft moment used up a few brownie points he earned yesterday with the ball.

Everything to play for here. Just need someone to apply themselves for a period of time.

Grizzzly

AGod 12 May, 2018 13:57
Yes, that key word *application* - it is most often that commodity which separates CC winners from also-rans, IMO.

Grockle 12 May, 2018 14:18
Well as by this time last year you were confidently predicting relegation Clarence I can only assume that a 'disappointing' season for you is anyone where we don't win the CC. My you have been disappointed in the past. Many times.

This is one game and we are already in a much better CC1 position this season than we were last. Consistency is a real problem but we've overcome it in the short term before and there are 2 of the three yearly tournaments yet to start. I thought you would be looking forward to the T20 with massive anticipation (TiC)

It's a bit early to be 'disappointed'. Though I suppose you managed a month from where you started being disappointed last year.... progress? I doubt you see it that way.

The rest of us though? Well I for one am looking forward to seeing my first English cricket in a month's time and I am certainly not yet disappointed.

Having won 2, drawn 1 and with this one in the balance and really for us to lose I'm personally quite optimistic at the moment.

Sorry the world hasn't really changed for you though.

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz 12 May, 2018 14:21
Here they come, popping out like the daffodils in spring, the bearers of doom before the innings is half over. Fingers hovering over the send button anticipating every wicket. It makes i chuckle. .

Nailsea_Fizz 12 May, 2018 14:27
Oh and sitting in the lower tier of the new pavilion in scarf and coat i wonder what Farmer White makes of the incessant round robin clapping of the Hampshire fielders.

When did cricket become unnecessary noisey

Grockle 12 May, 2018 14:47
While in no way giving up yet Nailsea.... it does get bloody boring being in a position to do something and then watching our middle order wander out and wander back again first innings after first innings.

Then there is the praying that SOMEONE manages to get their bat in gear and that the tail wags again. We are lucky we have a tail that does to be honest.

I thought we might be getting there and we may yet. However this is another Taunton game with another three out of 6 adding 11 in the first innings and James or Tom or Matt or Steve or Lewis or Jack or Eddie or George or Craig having to take more of the burden and sort out the collapse whether it is minor or major.

The only batsman that has had a consistent season where he has scored more than failed is James Hildreth and that was three seasons ago? Dean did it last year (Thank Heavens). Nick did it a few seasons ago. Marcus used to do it over five ago but not in recent years (half a season maybe) Eddie, George and Matt are too recent. Tom hasn't, Steve hasn't, Lewis hasn't. That core has to get stronger. Three or four in the top 6 have to stand and be counted rather than waft and be hopeful. THEN we would be a championship side to chase.

We have such potential and we are seeing more of that this season BUT we still throw too much away and fail to serve up hard stuff on a regular enough basis. It depends on luck far too often - we are just getting more of it at the moment. We need to make some of our own.

But...... take the luck when it comes and keep on working.

I'd just like a game or two where the top 5 pass 40/50 AND the tail wags.

(Sm72)

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 14:51
Davies retired hurt with an injured foot?
Hopefully not another broken metatarsal?

edit: Gregory didn't last long!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 14:53 by Rod1883.

AGod 12 May, 2018 15:03
We have lost a player injured in every match so far this season.

I thought Tom Banton would be picked for the white ball stuff anyway. He certainly will now..

AGod 12 May, 2018 15:04
Gregory is, I'm afraid, ripe for a demotion in the batting order.

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 15:08
Anthony Gibson intimating SD has a back injury, albeit he appeared to walk off unaided, without any obvious sign of pain.

Unless it is a bad injury, certainly hope he can resume his innings later, perhaps with a runner.

No idea who would keep wicket for us in the second innings, if SD can’t do so. Perhaps GB or EB ?

Really disappointed with Lewis’s batting this season. He has the ability to comfortably average 30+, yet no sign of anything at all this year yet.

We are still very much in this game though.

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 15:10 by Grizzzly.

Grockle 12 May, 2018 15:13
Good job Tom has started to bowl - though that is assuming that he gets some runs as well. Have we sorted Lewis' contract yet?

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 12 May, 2018 15:14
What's happened to Abbott, and to Steve Davies?

Grockle 12 May, 2018 15:33
Ankle Abbot. Foot Davies. According to the BBC and the Somerset website.

(Sm72)

stevecav 12 May, 2018 15:35
Looks like curtains for table-topping Notts. I wonder if their supporters suddenly see them facing a season long struggle....

AGod 12 May, 2018 16:01
A second successive very good batting contribution, at a time when the team was under the pump, from Craig Overton.

Great to see.

rodders 12 May, 2018 16:18
Agreed AG - might even get a decent lead on first innings with a bit of luck !

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 16:50
Simply superb batting by these two!

Grizzzly

Clarence Parker 12 May, 2018 16:52
Well played James Hildreth and Overton. More to come?

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 16:58
Well played Hildreth, great ton, and of course Cove in support.

Clarence Parker 12 May, 2018 17:06
I knew that my praise would hex Craig Overton.

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 17:09
Sorry!

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 17:09
Quote:
Clarence Parker
I knew that my praise would hex Craig Overton.

Ditto moody smiley

AGod 12 May, 2018 18:03
Leachy rules.

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 18:07
Well, 89 ahead with three wickets remaining is a position we all would have taken at the start of the innings I'm sure. It looked a bit dodgy for a while but Hildreth, Cove, Davies and Leach have turned it around.
Push it past 350 tomorrow (is 400 too much to hope for?) and then put some real pressure on their batsmen.

Grockle 12 May, 2018 18:13
Once again a batsman stands up (it has happened more this year) and the tail has stood with him once again. Well done JH plus Craig and Jack. Excellent end to the day.

(Sm72)

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 18:15
Play about to restart (at 6.18pm)

Edit - that didn't last long, 11 balls and 4 runs added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 18:34 by Rod1883.

sfwithers 12 May, 2018 18:40
I think we'd have all settled for that at the start of the day, even if Somerset did seem to make hard work of it when they batted. Nearly a hundred lead, three wickets still to fall. You'd have to think that a lead of over 100 would put all the pressure on Hampshire, especially if the Somerset bowlers get it right early in the Hampshire second innings. Here's hoping (and you'll note there's no counting of chickens, only an unusual amount of optimism for me. At the moment, anyway...!).

That Bloke With The Dog 12 May, 2018 18:44
Once again a batsman stands up (it has happened more this year) and the tail has stood with him once again.

I think that's basically how County Championships are won.

It's what that amazing Warwickshire side of Dermot Reeve's did time and time again to win those titles 20 years ago. They had Lara, we have Hildreth, and everybody, but everybody, finds some way of contributing and getting the team over the line every game, even if they've made a mess of things to start with.

AGod 12 May, 2018 19:08
THe Warwickshire side of more recent vintage under Ashley Giles that won it did the same thing.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net