Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
AGod 12 May, 2018 19:13
If not for the fact that CC the is about to go into hibernation, then I'd think that Cove and Jack could both be promoted up the order at Lewis's expense. If there was another CC game next week, then I'd have Cove at seven and Leachy at eight.

AGod 12 May, 2018 19:17
Worcs lost the match here because of their drops of James Hildreth.

Per the commentators, Fidel Edwards put James down fairly early on here (at midwicket, off Berg, apparently). And James has punished them superbly, just like he did Worcs.

There must now be a pretty significant chance that this will prove fatal for Hants too.

Having said that, we must bowl much better than we did in their first innings, and I can't help thinking that Hashim Amla is due an awful lot of runs against us given his recent scores against us of 0,0 and 4. It seems inconceivable that a player of his quality could continue to have the record of a number 11 against us (an old style number 11, not a TG style one)

AGod 12 May, 2018 19:18
What's the news on Steve Davies? Did he look badly hurt when he came back out to bat?

Despite his annus horribilis with the bat in white ball last year, one would think he'd be a key 50 over performer.

AGod 12 May, 2018 19:25
The commentators don't seem to really get the difference between swing and seam. When the ball swings and then pitches and carries on curving away (completing the curve that began before it pitched), they constantly say 'it seamed away,' when really it didn't, it simply continued to swing after it had landed.

I said earlier today that my impression of yesterday's play was the ball swung much more than it seamed. And I thought the same in the 90 minutes or so that I was able to see today. Yet, if one relied solely on the commentators, one would think that it was seaming all over the place.

I think James Hildreth has provided evidence that would refute that notion, noting that "We still need a good deal more runs because it's really a good batting surface."

James wouldn't say that, I'm sure, if it had *seamed* everywhere.

James is no doubt saying that we need plenty more runs because he knows that a swinging ball could stop swinging at any point in a match/day/innings. And with the surface itself being good for batting on....hence the desire for a really big lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 19:26 by AGod.

That Bloke With The Dog 12 May, 2018 19:41
I'd agree about the lack of movement off the seam. There's been some extravagant movement through the air, for certain bowlers in certain conditions, and quite a few balls have taken off rather alarmingly. But there's been nothing happening to worry a strokemaker like Hildreth.

The fact that Vince managed to make 44, instead of the usual 24, before nicking a catch is evidence of the lack of seam movement.

Roger ivanhoe 12 May, 2018 19:54
Not sure why Abbott was allowed to bowl when he did after spending so much time off the field after twisting his ankle slightly fielding in front of the CAP, as soon as he finished his bowling spell after tea he went off again.

The Somerset twitter feed said Steve Davis had a foot injury, which looked strange when he was being treated on the ground prior to going off.
It certainly looked a back issue rather than a foot problem, but the physio gave him a couple of drinks, but no treatment on the field, he left the field,
When he returned to resume his innings he looked fine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 20:04 by Roger ivanhoe.

AGod 12 May, 2018 20:04
Thank you for the info, Roger.

I can never remember the details but there are different rules regarding whether or not somebody can bat or bowl after time off the field, depending on the circumstances under which a player is deemed to have suffered an injury.

Hants01 12 May, 2018 20:06
Somerset have won this match effectively already. The lead should extend to 150 plus. Then? Gareth Berg says on BBC Radio Solent there is still a bit in the wicket if bowlers put it in the right place. So obviously Somerset's bowlers will do precisely that, aided and abetted by our batsmen getting themselves out (in the previous match both Amla and Weatherley holed out to mid-on) and then there is Rossouw and Vince- and we know, it's only a matter of time with both of them...

Relegation has been averted in recent seasons, belatedly and bizarrely, but rather like Sunderland in football's Premiership, you can't endlessly dodge the bullet, playing badly and forever getting out of trouble.

Five matches played and realistically we have been outclassed in three of them. This time, no escape. Heads must roll at the end of this season.

Prediction: Somerset in three days, possibly by an innings, probably by nine wickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 20:08 by Hants01.

wsm fan 12 May, 2018 20:09
SD had no back or foit injury per Andy Hurry.
He said dizzy spell. Went off as a precaution then returned fine at fall of Craigs wicket. No drama to see here.

wsm fan 12 May, 2018 20:14
Quote:
Clarence Parker
Poor bowling yesterday, and poor batting so far today.
It has always been in our psyche, and so many people in the past have tried to rectify it without any marked or long - term success.

Another disappointing season I fear.

(Sm135)

Well Clarence?
93 run lead with plenty to add.
Some people really need to learn some patience! Batting totals are made by 11 players. 145/1 can become 216ao.
86/4 can become 324/7.
After some bashing of Craig yesterday how do we all think he did today......?

Roger ivanhoe 12 May, 2018 20:29
Certainly sound like you say WSM, I looked through the binoculas and thought SD felt sick or such.

That was why I looked on the club twitter feed to see any info on there.

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 20:34
BBC commentary said he was hit on the ankle by an Edwards delivery (I think). No lasting damage it seems if it were the case, but enough of a sharp pain to make him feel nauseous at the time?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 20:36 by Rod1883.

cricketjerry-mouse 12 May, 2018 20:50
Sorry to see on this thread that one or two of our faithful Somerset supporters like Grizzzly (`I wish I could say our batting inspires confidence`), joining the ranks of perpetual re-moaners of the Clarence Parker (`Another disappointing season I fear), and the omnipresent Agod (`We are probably in the middle of one our collapse specials`) ilk.

Where are the posters crying out for Bairstow to be promoted to opener, Stokes dropped down a place in the batting order and James Hildreth chose at No.5, when the England squad is announced next week for the first Test against Pakistan?

Tom Seymour 12 May, 2018 20:50
"After some bashing of Craig yesterday how do we all think he did today......?"

Well wsm, Overton bowled dross yesterday and deserved whatever "bashing" he got. Only know how many runs he scored today so as I was not present I can't answer your question.

Is that clear enough for you?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

wsm fan 12 May, 2018 20:58
Crystal Tom. But wrong as usual!

He wasnt at his best but was not dross. I counted 4 if not 5 play and misses and 1 big lbw shout. Yes there were a few short balls and leggy ones in too but nobody can be perfect every day.

Today he & James were just awesome.
A chanceless 80 from our number 8 at a time where we werw in trouble.
Hows that for bottle, mental toughness, fight?
We didnt collapse as many would have preferred.

Anyway yet ANOTHER quite superb day and as Hants01 says basically 23 points in the bag.

Good luck guys making up a scenario where we can fail to win from here.

TITLE CHALLENGE WELL AND TRUELY ON!

Rod1883 12 May, 2018 21:07
Not sure a win is "in the bag" yet wsm - but we are in a good position.
Push on to a 150/170 lead tomorrow and then put some real pressure on their batters and yes we're in with a real opportunity.
As long as we don't have to chase something nearer 200 than 100 on the final day we should be OK.
The bag in is the room, we've just got to make sure we grab it and not let it slip through our hands.

Grockle 12 May, 2018 21:09
Well the points are not 'in the bag' and if you think they are WSM then you've forgotten the county you support.

We'll see where we are at the end of this innings and then see what Hants are made of.

We should put this one away but until it is done nothing is certain.

However, Craig was very good with the bat today and James punished poor fielding once again. If he stays solid and we keep getting the luck of the draw se have a considerably more positive position in the CC1 at the break and people should be worried about us.

BUT we still need the newbies to learn fast and Steve and Lewis have to provide more.

Let's hope the bowlers are a level above tomorrow and Hants can't handle it.

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz 12 May, 2018 21:12
WSM - As you well know criticism comes very quickly and easily to some but the balance of praise when it's due comes a little slower.

It was a fantastic partnership which made batting look very secure in stark contrast to the mornings effort.

One particular father looked happy with his lot looking on from the Hill.

As grockle suggests, far from secure yet and plenty more twists to come for sure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 21:18 by Nailsea_Fizz.

AGod 12 May, 2018 21:19
WSM - a scenario in which we don't win?

It's not all that difficult to imagine.. just imagine what you'd say if we were in Hants shoes... You'd say

1) We could knock over the last three quickly, and limit the deficit to 125 or so..

and

2) Amla is very capable of making those 125 runs on his own, so if we could get, say, 200 runs from the other ten, then we could leave SCCC a tricky chase.

AGod 12 May, 2018 21:22
The weather forecast is for very good batting conditions for the remainder of the match.

So the ball could easily stop swinging.

If that happens?

Wicket taking may be tough IF there's not much turn...

So another scenario in which we don't win sees our innings continue until lunch tomorrow for a lead of, say, 200.

And then Hants batting for maybe four sessions in conditions where the track is a good one and the ball isn't swinging and making maybe 375-380 in those four sessions, against initially attacking fields... Amla 150, the rest 225 between them.. it's far from impossible.

wsm fan 12 May, 2018 21:24
Its a scenario yes but from where we are tonight wildly far fetched!
Hamps have a 4 man attack 1 of which is crocked.
They have an out of form batting line up against our attack which have been superb at home in the last 5/6 home matches, not to mention the option of Englands best 2 spin bowlers on a day 3 dry pitch.

I think Mr Abell is far happier with the match situation tonight than Mr Vince i would guess.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 21:25 by wsm fan.

Grockle 12 May, 2018 21:27
Yep. I think you are very secure in that assessment.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 12 May, 2018 21:54
Day two photos

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Brad%20Wheal%20off%20Tom%20Abell.jpg

The day started with Tom Abell finishing off an over from the previous day, and once again he manage to beat Brad Wheal's bat.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Fidel%20Edwards%20ct%20Steve%20Davies%20bld%20Craig%20Overton.jpg

Fidel Edwards giving catching practice for Steve Davies off the bowling of Craig Overton

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Eddie%20Byrom%20bld%20Fidel%20Edwards.jpg

Not a lucky day for Eddie Byrom when he was bowled by Fidel Edwards.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Craig%20Overton%204%20runs%20leg%20side.jpg

Craig Overton played some lovely shots, he leg glanced this ball for a four.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/James%20Hildreth.jpg

Both eyes on the ball for James Hildreth just before he scores more runs.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Craig%20Overton%204%20runs%20and%20100%20partnership.jpg

Back to Craig Overton, this four brings up the 100 partnership with James Hildreth.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/James%20Hildreth%20100%20runs%202%20of%203.jpg

And when James Hildreth gets to one hundred runs he is squeezed to death by Craig Overton

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Craig%20Overton%20bld%20Gareth%20Berg.jpg

Good innings don't last for ever, after a very good score was reach by Craig Overton he was bowled by Gareth Berg.

Lets hope for a full days play tomorrow.

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 21:57
Quote:
cricketjerry-mouse
Sorry to see on this thread that one or two of our faithful Somerset supporters like Grizzzly (`I wish I could say our batting inspires confidence`), joining the ranks of perpetual re-moaners of the Clarence Parker (`Another disappointing season I fear), and the omnipresent Agod (`We are probably in the middle of one our collapse specials`) ilk.
Where are the posters crying out for Bairstow to be promoted to opener, Stokes dropped down a place in the batting order and James Hildreth chose at No.5, when the England squad is announced next week for the first Test against Pakistan?

That's a pretty cheap comment cj-m & I resent your inference most strongly.

At 71-4, with Hildreth dropped in the 20's & Tom having had a daft moment, I doubt there were many feeling confident that we would get anywhere near the score we so successfully did. This thanks to James wonderful innings & Cove's excellent 80, all the more impressive by his running between the wickets, turning singles into two's, & two's into three's.

But you choose, for whatever reason, to ignore the last sentence of the post you quote when I said "Everything to play for here. Just need someone to apply themselves for a period of time".

You also choose not to quote my later posts when I said we were "still very much in the game" & my comments on Cove & Hildreth when I said "superb batting by these two".

If you were being fair, you might consider an apology is appropriate.

Grizzzly

Clarence Parker 12 May, 2018 22:09
Agreed - a pretty cheap comment as far as I am concerned as well cj-m.

If you are "sorry to see" such, no doubt honestly - held, comments why bother to venture onto here in the first instance.

Clarence Parker 12 May, 2018 22:29
Quote:
Nailsea_Fizz

One particular father looked happy with his lot looking on from the Hill.

As grockle suggests, far from secure yet and plenty more twists to come for sure

I shall be on the Hill tomorrow looking out for that "particular father." I wonder who he could be?

Grizzzly 12 May, 2018 23:30
Many thanks for your Private message CJM, which is much appreciated.

Grizzzly

Scrumper 12 May, 2018 23:53
Last I heard it was 71-4, then I have to play cricket, phone locked away for safekeeping, but then I get it back, wow James and Cove.

Grockle 13 May, 2018 02:54
I think it was much more 'exasperation' than 'doom snd gloom' at 71-4 with Hilda looking ropey cjm.

Grizzz wasn't on his own, I was certainly there with him

But unlike the true black 'd and g' merchants, our day got a whole lot better.

(Sm72)

wsm fan 13 May, 2018 05:19
Mike, if Clarence gets to meet "particular father" it could make for a good photo opportunity!

If i guess correctly as to whom you are both referring i imagine Tom would be most welcome for a little chat too. Its easy to write opinions on here anonymously whether genuine or just for a reaction, less easy to the faces of a players parent i suggest!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net