Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Shepton Paul 2 13 May, 2018 13:25
Bat on, I say...

Tumbles 13 May, 2018 13:27
I’d give Dom 3 overs to get his ton. The stream shows quite a lot of cloud coming over.

AGod 13 May, 2018 13:29
IF we come back out then I think it needs to be expressly time limited i.e "Dom, you've got thirty minutes, and then we're declaring, so you'd better try and hit the cover off most things to make sure you're 3 figures when the declaration comes."

Fortunately, I think Dom has the mentality that, even if we don't tell him something like that, he will come out and try and thrash the bowling around anyway, versus nervously nudging towards his maiden SCCC first team ton.

Nailsea_Fizz 13 May, 2018 13:54
[quote Clarence Parker][quote

Jog on my friend.
,[/quote]

Really, how old!!!!!!.😁

Still great morning session. Declaration and get in to them would be my shout. See if we can find anything left in the pitch.

mikeindex 13 May, 2018 13:55
World's Best No XI doing a noble job of playing for Dom's ton!

"Tim Groenewald - best No. XI in the world" - Rob Key
Nil desperandum, dear lady! Beyond the desert lies the promised land!

Grockle 13 May, 2018 14:04
Shame for Dom but credit to Berg who has steamed in and given a lot to this game. 92 and 275 ahead... not bad.

(Sm72)

AGod 13 May, 2018 14:07
Dom *livid* with his dismissal... exactly the right attitude....precisely the type of attitude which will surely lead to many more ton chances, and indeed some tons, in the future.

Well played, young man.

And brutal stuff from Timmy G.

So, lead of 275.

4 sessions plus about 105 minutes left in the match. Weather set fair.

So, hopefully, worst case scenario of them batting for 4 sessions and scoring 350 or so in the process. Would leave us 76 to get in 105 minutes, which should be achievable.

That's assuming that the track turns.

I still think it'll be flatter tomorrow, so I think we need to take at least 5 wickets, and preferably 6 today.

AGod 13 May, 2018 14:28
Thanks, Jimmy.

A misjudgment and wicket number one!

AGod 13 May, 2018 14:46
Good bowling from LG - getting some nice swing. That being the case, in addition to TG coming on soon, probably worth a little bit of Tom prior to the spinners coming on.

I'd fancy Tom quite strongly to get Vince nicking off to the slips.

Rod1883 13 May, 2018 14:53
Been out this morning at a car show, just got back.
Would just like to say Wow!
Come on Somerset, let's grind them down with some really accurate pressure bowling.

AGod 13 May, 2018 15:00
Good performance from LG in this second innings, thus far.

AGod 13 May, 2018 15:18
Well done, Tim and George.

Now here comes the match (Amla)...........

Grizzzly 13 May, 2018 15:19
Great bowling and field placement by TG.

As for Weatherley, don’t think that was his finest moment !

Grizzzly

AGod 13 May, 2018 16:46
Still very little sign of any turn from the main surface of this track, which is very disappointing but not particularly surprising because the recent history of our track is that, if it's going to turn, it will do so early, and it didn't in the first innings.

I think the seamers are bowling pretty well and they sometimes look as though they might get a wicket, but I'm starting to fear a draw here, particularly as batting conditions are likely to be at their best tomorrow.

AGod 13 May, 2018 17:00
Back to the Ciderabad strategy please, Andy, Jason and Simon (Lee).

This is back to the old, predictable, surface of getting flatter and flatter and flatter.

AGod 13 May, 2018 17:58
Ultimately, I think we may pay the price here for not bowling well enough in the Hants *first innings*. We've bowled much better second time around but, had we hit our straps the first time around, we may well have bought ourselves an extra 30 or so overs in which to bowl them out in their second innings..

(of course it might be that even an extra 30 overs would make no difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 18:31 by AGod.

Grizzzly 13 May, 2018 18:52
Tremendous day with the bat and our bowlers kept plugging away without much luck.

The pitch however is doing a very good impression of Monty Pythons dead parrot.

Grizzzly

Grockle 13 May, 2018 19:00
Well it makes the task simple. One day Amla and 7 more wickets.

(Sm72)

Hants01 13 May, 2018 19:08
Another truly dreadful day with the Hants (depleted) bowling attack mercilessly flogged; of course it doesn't help when you put down sitters as was the case with Hildreth early on. 71-4 to 500 plus- appalling. Then, as predicted, our batsmen started getting themselves out rather than Somerset getting them out. This season needs to be Adams' last and Weatherley...well, it's just shocking. Vince has hitherto refrained from his more lavish strokeplay, but my prediction is that he will take the bait in the end. I predicted Somerset by nine wickets or an innings and I stick by that. Merely, it will delay the inevitable- finished in four not three days. Somerset ought to know: 1) with this lot, they tend to get themselves out; 2) wickets go down in clusters; 3) the tail is long and 4) I expect some stupid cricket along the way, like a daft run out. Once again hopelessly outclassed and yet Giles White survives it all.

Grockle 13 May, 2018 19:11
I think we've all been there Hants. This may be the game when they start the long crawl back (not hoping for it but it could still be)

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 13 May, 2018 19:13
A really good game and cricket at it's best. There have been some outstanding performances with more of our players knocking at England's door. Tomorrow may well be the proving of Somerset. Should we get the key wickets in good time and force the win on this pitch, then surely we'll be favourites for CC1 going into the break. This season we have seen every member of the team step forward for match winning performances. Come on Somerset it's only Vince and Amla. Craig, remember the wicket of Steve Smith

Grizzzly 13 May, 2018 19:19
Well, I don’t think an unbroken partnership of around 140 is anything to sneeze at Hants01.

It’s still a long road to safety, but it’s also a long road for us to get eight more wickets.

Grizzzly

Clarence Parker 13 May, 2018 19:36
Excellent batting this morning from James Hildreth, Dom Bess (very pleased for him) and Tim Groenewald. They batted well but the pitch appeared to be as dead as a Dodo.

Informed from two separate sources that the pitch in use is the same one used only two weeks ago for the Yorkshire match. If we thought that the pitch would deteriorate on account of its recent use, then the plan has seriously backfired.

I shall not journey to the ground tomorrow; instead finding other things to do.

It is of course still possible for us to win, but despite my absolute confidence and respect for Simon Lee and his hard – working assistants, I do wonder why at this stage of the season we have to use pitches that have previously been used for 4 days. There must be a number of pitches on that square that have not yet had an outing this season.

wsm fan 13 May, 2018 19:51
Cheers for that Hants01. Saved me a positive report!
Still hugely on top.
A new day tomorrow, fresh bowlers, new ball around the corner, weak middle lower order and low on confidence batting line up.
It may be hard work but still huge favourites.
Just break this partnership and we could lunch on a net 20/5 with 65 overs left.
Bowlers stuck to it well and Vince always has a nick off at somepoint!
24 points on there way and sitting pretty at the top.by 6pm!
Off you go doom & gloomers.....

AGod 13 May, 2018 20:09
Nah, WSM.

The draw is a clear favourite, given that our bowlers can expect:

a) No help from the surface

and

b) No help from the overhead conditions.

Yes, Vince (and Roussow) might do something stupid (Vince already nicked off once) but this is now the kind of pitch on which all but an old fashioned number 11 (or Fidel Edwards!) could expect to score 30-40 without too much trouble.

Berg is very capable. So, too, if fit to bat, is Kyle Abbott.

Having said that, of course, the draw was also a clear favourite going into the final day at Old Trafford, and we nearly contrived to mess that up, until Leachy, Cove and TG saved us. But even if they wobble (as we did) this pitch, like Old Trafford, is flat enough that they will probably still get out of jail.

I'd say the chances are 75% chance draw, 25% chance SCCC win, 0% chance any other result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 20:16 by AGod.

cricketjerry-mouse 13 May, 2018 20:10
The new ball will be available within the first hour - and will be the key to the day`s events.

AGod 13 May, 2018 20:20
We might get the new ball to swing a little for a brief period.

But I think the absence of turn will be our undoing.... even if we did manage a couple of wickets with that second new ball, then they'd be only 50 or so behind, 4 down, and we saw today how hard it is to take any wickets with an older ball.. Let's be honest, it's also true that the two that fell to the new ball today were giveaways, really, rather than the new ball doing all that much.

For Somerset to win then either:

a) We will have to bowl (and catch) incredibly well

and/or

b) Hants will need to bat like muppets.

AGod 13 May, 2018 20:22
It will be a big day for Craig Overton, as he is surely likely to need to take a number of wickets if he's going to be named in the Test squad on Tuesday. And Leachy may also need wickets for the same reason.

Personally, I thought LG and TG looked comfortably our most likely wicket takers today, however.

wsm fan 13 May, 2018 20:51
Read Hants01. That added to our top notch attack is why we WILL win. We showed Monday what can happen batting day 4 on a supposed flat lifeless pitch. And our bowling is better than Lancs was and Hamps dont have Craig Jack & Tim to do their stuff with the bat.
Get Amla by lunch we win. Simple.
Vince will give chances and rest will fold as Hants01 says.
I have updated my table already:-
1 Somerset 4-74
It looks great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 21:06 by wsm fan.

AGod 13 May, 2018 20:53
Still, worst case scenario, by the end of tomorrow, is to be seven points off the top of CC1 (in second place) AND with a game in hand:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Pretty sure that, had you offered that to Andy and Jason before the season started, they'd have been very happy to accept your kind offer....

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net