Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: One Day at a Time
geordie moonraker 18 May, 2018 12:44
That will do very nicely. Shows the wisdom of picking spinners

Phrench Phil 18 May, 2018 13:26
Shows the wisdom of picking spinners[/quote]

You mean, because they are good fielders - 4 catches plus a run-out.

geordie moonraker 18 May, 2018 13:52
Indeed!!! plus the fact that if the seamers hadn't come off there they were, with excellent captaincy by results rather than captaincy by numbers

wsm fan 18 May, 2018 13:58
Its very funny how some posters go missing on our good days!
Im guessing if we had been 129ao it may have been different!
Long may they remain absent under such logic!

sfwithers 18 May, 2018 14:08
You do wonder (or at least I do) why they're bothering with lunch. Couldn't they 'claim' an extra half hour or something?

Tumbles 18 May, 2018 14:23
Quote:
sfwithers
You do wonder (or at least I do) why they're bothering with lunch. Couldn't they 'claim' an extra half hour or something?

Cricket does itself no favours sometimes. Why didn't they have a 20 min lunch/tea type break between innings.

Grockle 18 May, 2018 14:39
Johann Myburgh looks absolutely awesome. When he hits the ball I'd forgotten how hard it moves!!

(Sm72)

Grockle 18 May, 2018 14:46
To coin a phrase from the North.

Pick yon @#$%& out!!

Well played gentlemen - hammered the Brown Caps in no uncertain terms. 8 wickets with about 27 overs left

(Sm72)

sfwithers 18 May, 2018 14:48
That's how I like it as a Somerset fan - totally stress free (reminds me a little of Sussex v Somerset at Hove in the Nat West quarter-final 1983, when I was paddling in the sea by 2.30 after Somerset chased down their target of 66). Good result, and great to see Myburgh hit form straightaway as the team doesn't have the big names of a lot of the other teams.

Roger ivanhoe 18 May, 2018 14:48
Fantastic win, well done lads.

Hopefully AGod will have taken the day off to report his views on live cricket.(Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2018 14:51 by Roger ivanhoe.

Tumbles 18 May, 2018 14:50
How do you like them apples, Gareth?

Shepton Paul 2 18 May, 2018 15:03
Decent warm-up before the tournament-proper starts. Great team effort.

Grizzers 18 May, 2018 15:11
Absolutely stonking win !

Terrific effort by everyone, especially Cove and JM.

Looking forward to reading the Surrey forum later !

Grizzzly

(Edited for typo - ‘Stonking’ win, not ‘Stinking’ !!!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2018 15:46 by Grizzzly.

One Day at a Time
Following on 18 May, 2018 15:11
Fantastic effort!

According to tbe Beeb, we have a positive net run rate of 3.513 and top the table.

Grockle 18 May, 2018 15:16
Well you really wouldn't expect less when you have won a game in half the time. Pretty poor showing from Surrey to be honest though. However they do seem to be our rabbits. It seems that in just over 60 matches against them we have won twice as many as they have.

I'm happy with that. Rolls us into Sunday nicely.

(Sm72)

wsm fan 18 May, 2018 15:23
Surrey are useless.
Train booked home 8.45pm.
5 hours to wait now.

Great display boys. Faultless.
Who needs Renshaw!

cricketjerry-mouse 18 May, 2018 15:24
The cricinfo report on the match says Surrey `never came to turns` with the discipline needed batting first.

Is this a schoolboy grammatical howler, or a reference to the fact that Somerset didn`t need to resort to either of their spin bowler options?

Ronniesabre 18 May, 2018 15:26
Get to the pub.......seems a good way to spend the hours revelling in the victory

rodders 18 May, 2018 15:44
Great result and well done everyone - could this just be our year before I pop my clogs - hope springs eternal...............!

Wickham 18 May, 2018 16:11
Very good, SP!

I look forward even more to watching my first live cricket on Sunday and Tuesday.

I saw (on the live feed) the first five overs of PT's spell. I thought that he was very impressive - he didn't try to bowl fast, but instead kept a very disciplined line and length.

Bobstan 18 May, 2018 16:14
So much for all the evidence that Pete Treeego is now a batsman and can be discounted as a serious bowler. He was the only one -I think - to bowl his full allocation of overs. A great economy rate and wickets too. Mind you given the rate at which Surrey succumbed nobody else needed to be bowled out.

Well done to all concerned.

Mike TA1 18 May, 2018 16:14
What a very good all round performance.

Bowling good, fielding good, Johann Myburg and James Hildreth's batting good.

Botham 18 May, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Wickham
Very good, SP!
I look forward even more to watching my first live cricket on Sunday and Tuesday.

Me too. Where can non-members sit for these matches?

Mike TA1 18 May, 2018 16:38
That was Craig Overton's best List A bowling figures. 4 for 27 off 9.2 overs.

Roger ivanhoe 18 May, 2018 17:51
Botham, your are allowed to sit in any area not shown as Members only area.(Sm128)

Bobstan 18 May, 2018 19:22
AG said he was going to be at the Oval today. Given that we have not heard from him I am very concerned about the health of his Apple.

Somerset LaLaLa 18 May, 2018 20:18
What a game to see - if you're a Somerset fan. Definitely will be there for Glamorgan, hope it's the same team as would love to see a repeat.

Reports mention a two-paced pitch, seemed like a good toss to win?

Is there a man of the match award, though not much doubt. And who said Tregs can't bowl... saw him keep wicket vs Weston last summer, megastar

RLODC
Loyal of Lhasa 18 May, 2018 19:38
I can't recall when I last saw Somerset totally dominate a match as they did at The Oval today.

It all started with superb bowling by Cove and then a very tight spell by Trego. All the bowlers performed well - without the aid of significant lateral movement - and were backed up by some brilliant fielding. Then it was the Myburgh Show, with excellent and elegant support from Hildreth.

5000 (allegedly) school children made a noisy and welcome contribution to the crowd, though they were all led away before the match was over, perhaps to spare them further suffering. Without them the spectators might have looked rather sparse.

One complaint... the scorecard, given away gratis in the pavilion, showed no attempt to give an up to date list of the Somerset players. In fact the team listed was exactly the same as those who played against Hampshire, even including the injured Leach. Only six of the four-day eleven played today - and it cannot be beyond the resources of such a prosperous club as Surrey to produce an accurate card. What we had was in effect useless.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Re: RLODC
wsm fan 18 May, 2018 20:00
Yes id guess nearer 1500 kids than 5000 but great initiative all the same.
I thought crowd was very good, personally. Hard to judge as its so huge we all get lost but id guess 4000/5000.
Loads of Somerset supporters as always.
It really is impressive how many travel to support our team. I met 2 guys at Paddington station earlier heading back to Plymouth. Spotted Farmer & Tractor too so a good grockles showing.

Such a shame some regulars have gone missing as so often on our good days, long may it continue!

As to the cricket, almost nothing to say. We were that good it was a complete mismatch from ball 1, no real test for harder matches to come but a crushing win v Surrey always welcome, basically 3 points too given the run rate boost gained. Roll on Sunday for our next victims Glamorgan.

Re: RLODC
Shepton Paul 2 18 May, 2018 20:48
A clue for Sunday's team: the Glam commentator for today's game v Gloucs said that he'd been told he could expect guest appearances from Jack Leach and Matt Renshaw in the comm box at Taunton. We know Jack won't be playing; I'd say this indicates that Renshaw won't be in Sunday's XI either.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net