Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Nailsea_Fizz 24 August, 2019 08:59
So possible nothing to do with alleged nightmare father at all and more to do with alledged properly qualified coaches.

AGod 24 August, 2019 10:10
The bottom line is that he was once good enough to open for England, and to do it well.

The question, for any potential suitors, is really “How long do you chase ghosts of the past for?”

It’s maybe a bit like the position we’ve found ourselves in with Steve Davies and white ball cricket.. except that Steve had many long years of success behind him prior to his slump
- which seems as inexplicable to me, as HH’s slump apparently is to grumpy Allott - whereas Hameed just had the one, shooting star season.

But coaches being what they are, then I have to believe that there will be a number of coaches that will fancy having a crack at getting HH going again.

I have little reason to believe that Andy and Jason really feel enthusiastic about red ball futures for Eddie Byrom, Ben Green etc, given that they have been ignored all season in red ball.

Bagpuss 24 August, 2019 10:39
Weird fact - Haseeb Hameed has a career Test average higher than every England player so far in this Ashes series except Joe Root.

And don't @ me about small sample sizes/regression to the mean/other stats nonsense.

If you torture the statistics for long enough, they will admit to anything.

AGod 24 August, 2019 10:43
Well, as your own post suggests, you’re clearly aware that it is a very small sample size. Not compared to Roy or Denly, I grant you, but then nobody with a brain considers those two Test batsmen anyway.

But obviously a very small sample size compared to the likes of J Bair or Stokes.

AGod 24 August, 2019 10:53
In any event.... anyone that is interested in signing him surely needs to have a very good idea, first, as to exactly what has gone wrong, why and what the potential fix is.

If the story is that he played white ball and lost his sense of where his off-stick was then is that reversible simply by stopping him playing any more white ball? But if that’s the solution, then were Lancs so stupid that they didn’t try that? If they did try it and naught availeth then will it work eventually? And how long is ‘eventually’?

Or is that line of thinking a complete red herring?

Tom Seymour 24 August, 2019 11:10
Whenever I hear news like this, I wonder how much of the cause of the rift (which I assume has happened) is down to the attitude and personality of the player involved.

Whatever a player's record or for whom he has played, one needs to know before any signing is made such factors as will determine how well the said player will fit into the dressing room as well as the club.

I am not suggesting that anything is sadly amiss in the case of Hameed, but factors other than his run - scoring ability need to be investigated.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod 24 August, 2019 11:55
Yep... all of that would need a thorough digging.

Bagpuss 24 August, 2019 12:18
If HH wants to rediscover his mojo then I'd advise either Sussex, who have a good recent history of reviving cast-off player careers (admittedly chiefly bowlers) or Essex, where he could be mentored by Gooch and Cook.

AGod 24 August, 2019 12:20
Yes, good options.

Bagpuss 26 August, 2019 20:25
Lancashire will play their T20 quarter final at Chester-Le-Street. Old Trafford will be unavailable due to the 4th Ashes test match.

Des Platt 27 August, 2019 09:46
Quote:
Bagpuss

If you torture the statistics for long enough, they will admit to anything.

Indeed; a statistician is someone who will tell you that when your feet are in the oven and your head in the freezer, on average you are comfortable.

No better example than Ben Stokes who has frequently not even been in the top five all-rounders in the rankings in all three types of international cricket but how many of the players ahead of him in the rankings had the potential to do that on Sunday?

Des Platt 27 August, 2019 09:52
Quote:
Bagpuss
Lancashire will play their T20 quarter final at Chester-Le-Street. Old Trafford will be unavailable due to the 4th Ashes test match.

You beat me to that bit of news Bagpuss. I was going to express it that Emirates plc announced that the Lancashire branches home quarter-final would be held at its Durham branch. The club incredibly even managed to announce in error that yesterday’s 2020 game against Derbyshire was being held at Riverside! It makes you wonder whether Lancs have handed over control of the website completely to Emirates.

I’m glad to see that you did not add the airline to the names of the grounds; I absolutely refuse to do that.

Tumbles 27 August, 2019 10:52
Quote:
Bagpuss

Although a complete nonsense, you think that whoever finishes 4th in the south group will probably prefer this to a rowdy old trafford.

cricketharris 27 August, 2019 13:54
As the Lancashire game will involve southern opposition it would be fairer, surely, to play it in Edgbaston or Nottingham for instance. Durham is an awfully long way to go to watch a couple of hours cricket.

Nailsea_Fizz 27 August, 2019 15:55
Come now CH, that would be putting supporters at the forefront of their thinking rather than Sponsors, money or TV.

cricketharris 27 August, 2019 16:43
Yes, on second thoughts I’m surprised Sky didn’t insist that it is played at Old Trafford after the Test Match and then they wouldn’t need different cameras.

Bagpuss 27 August, 2019 17:03
Lancashire are giving free tickets and transport to CLS for their members and T20 season ticket holders. For away supporters from the South, Old Trafford is a fair trek anyway. And Lancashire have a good record at CLS. Coming top of the group after all is about being rewarded with home advantage rather Tha being fair to away supporters.

Anyway, I'd rather any small financial benefit fell to Durham rather than the cheque-book Cgarlies of Notts or Warks.

A final thought-a wag on the Yorkshire forum commented that ECB should have scheduled T20 quarter finals week against the Headingley Test, safe in the knowledge Yorkshire would be unlikely to cause problems😂

cricketharris 27 August, 2019 17:44
So they get to go and get in free and we, or whoever, have to pay a fortune to get there, stay overnight and pay to get in. Well, who said life was going to be fair? And members getting free entry to T20 knockout rounds, well that’s a novelty.

Bagpuss 27 August, 2019 18:20
Free entry to members for knockout matches is not a new thing - has certainly been the case at Trent Bridge. Never happens at Somerset but they know we'll pay!

Roger ivanhoe 04 September, 2019 08:44
Yorkshire have signed New Zealand international spinner Ajaz Patel for the final two games of the County Championship season.

The 30-year-old will replace Keshav Maharaj after next week's game against Division One title rivals Somerset.

cricketjerry-mouse 22 September, 2019 16:20
A four-day weather forecast for Chester-Le-Street, that mirrors that for Taunton, makes it pretty near certain that Glo`shire will - some would say rather unexpectedly - grab the third Division Two promotion place.

Glamorgan need to beat Durham - never easy in the frozen North at this time of the year - while Glo`shire struggle for points against Division Two winners Northamptonshire at Bristol, if the Welsh county is to succeed.

cricketjerry-mouse 22 September, 2019 17:15
Worries for the future of Ben Coad, the 25-year-old Yorkshire seamer who missed most of the match with Somerset at Taunton this month because of a heart murmur, have happily proved unfounded.

There were fears at first it might be a similar heart problem to the one that forced current England selector James Taylor to stop playing three or four years back. But Coad he is expected to be back in action this week in his county`s final match of the season at Warwickshire.

mikeindex 22 September, 2019 19:58
Splendid news for a talented player and for cricket.

Bobstan 22 September, 2019 22:36
Very pleased to hear the Coad news. The Yorkshire folk staying at the same b&b as myself were very near where he was fielding when he started to feel unwell and they were very worried about him.

Bagpuss 23 September, 2019 15:19
Congratulations to Jack Leach (test squad) Tom Banton and Lewis Gregory (T20 squad) on their selection for England's tour of New Zealand.

The first a given, the second expected, but particularly pleased for Lewis who has had two outstanding seasons following his back surgery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2019 15:21 by Bagpuss.

hantssabre 23 September, 2019 15:25
Congrats to all 3 but a shame Lewis isn’t in test squad as well

cricketjerry-mouse 23 September, 2019 16:28
Congrats to all three Somerset England selections. In additiuon, Jos Buttler promoted to wicket-keeper as well as batsman in Test squad, with Jonny Bairstow dropped.

Essex moaning at Taunton at the omission of Dan Lawrence and Ravi Bopara from either squad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2019 16:35 by cricketjerry-mouse.

hantssabre 23 September, 2019 16:36
Ravi Bopara? Surely not, he’s had too many opportunities in the past!

Shepton Paul 2 23 September, 2019 20:46
I'd say Bopara had had a pretty good international career, rather than too many opportunities.

Very surprised that Foakes isn't in the Test squad, and I'm sure Bairstow will come back, maybe just as a batsman, once he's had a rest after a very busy and not wholly unsuccessful summer for him. Pleased Sibley is getting a chance.

Somerset LaLaLa 23 September, 2019 22:42
Interestingly Steve Davies has a better CC1 average than Ben Foakes:

SD - Average 27.9, Catch 46, Stump 3
BF - Average 27.0, Catch 39, Stump 6

Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net