Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Mike TA1 22 March, 2019 08:12
I wonder if Botham had something to do with this?

hantssabre 22 March, 2019 12:00
Would think it’s probably more likely to do with Marcus North the Director of cricket and his Australian connections. Does Botham ever put in an appearance at Durham!

Loyal of Lhasa 22 March, 2019 12:04
Quote:
geordie moonraker
I see that Durham have decided that Bancroft is a fine leader of men and has been made county captain. I could understand Durham signing him and giving him a chance to rehabilitate himself (although I'm delighted Somerset didn't) but this takes the biscuit.

Jammy Dodger?

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Somerset LaLaLa 22 March, 2019 17:40
Half man half biscuit

Loyal of Lhasa 22 March, 2019 17:49
scratchiballdi

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

geordie moonraker 22 March, 2019 23:23
Spot on LoL

Grockle 23 March, 2019 21:21
I wouldn't be surprised if ITB is seen at Durham more than he is in the South West of the country

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 19 April, 2019 21:46
Why did the ECB have to ruin my happiness today.

ECB proposes six-month extension to Colin Graves' term and announces timeline for appointing successor
[www.ecb.co.uk]

Grizzzly 19 April, 2019 21:58
Pass the sick bucket.

That the ECB feel it appropriate to have this man in situ for a minute longer than his present contract is ridiculous.

I assume SCCC will be able to vote on this proposal & sincerely hope we strongly oppose it.

Grizzzly

Grockle 19 April, 2019 21:59
No we won't Grizz.

(Sm72)

Bagpuss 19 April, 2019 22:58
I'm just hoping the ECB have ensured the old goat is still in situ and ready for scaping when this sorry mess happens next year.

Somerset LaLaLa 19 April, 2019 23:16
Who at Somerset actually has the vote at the ECB for Graves to stay on? Is it Charles Clark, if so when and how does someone stand against him?

Grockle 19 April, 2019 23:32
I doubt Charles will be doing any voting. It's my understanding that the poor man is very ill.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 20 April, 2019 08:22
Really sorry to read that, especially at a time when we need to deal with Colin Graves

Roger ivanhoe 20 April, 2019 09:33
Charles Clark was in the Long Room during the 4 day match v Kent, his Son brought him in, although Wheelchair bound, Charles was far more interested in SOMERSET CRICKET than his own health.
I wish him well.

Grockle 20 April, 2019 12:44
As do we all I am sure.

If he has to stand down for health reasons it is my understanding that his replacement will probably be Richard Brice.

Now that could be intetesting given othet active threads here at the moment.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe 20 April, 2019 13:10
Really Grockle.....WOW .
That might cause unrest with the way the club is moving.
Once again surely members should have a say in the matter.

Grockle 20 April, 2019 13:38
Hence the 'probably' Roger. Maybe it should be 'possibly' instead?

I'm not sure how it stands but is he the Vice Chair? In which case he would take over until an election. Then others can stand.... but do they usually?

But you are right, it could cause some 'interesting' situations if it came to pass.

Somerset LaLaLa 20 April, 2019 13:49
Let's face it the ECB are a Shambles. No RLODC cricket anywhere today or on Monday which is a public holiday. Then when many go back to work or school, there is cricket on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...

Grockle 20 April, 2019 14:01
Well. To be fair. 'Development' can take place any time of the week. No one really needs to watch it when other more 'exciting' things are happening elsewhere.....

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 20 April, 2019 20:06

Grockle 20 April, 2019 20:19
Excellent view of the whole luvverly thing.

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 20 April, 2019 22:22
😢😢😢

Sloop John B 21 April, 2019 08:54
Lovely article. Redolent with happy memories.

cricketharris 21 April, 2019 11:56
An article in the Times today says that Meschede, along with other German-born county players (including Rayner), is going to play for Germany this year in World Cup 20-over (not”100”?) qualifiers as long as it doesn’t jeopardise their chances of being selected for England in the future.

Grockle 21 April, 2019 15:10
It shouldn't but I'm not sure which division Germany is in. It's a long pull to get to qualifier tournaments from below Div 2. If you do, the top 8 make it even more difficult to get to play them in a World Cup setting at 50 ir T20

Presently Div 2 has a 6 team 50 over tournament with the top 4 gaining full ODI status and sllow them to try to qualify for WC2023

That includes Namibia, Canada, PNG, Hong Kong, Oman and USA. Players from the top 4 would lose the ability to play for other countries I think. They'll play 36 ODIs in the next 4 years looking to qualify for the WC 'Qualifying Week' after which presently only TWO get to play any of the 'top' 8 in the Super League.

There is another group below the 'Boys Club' 6 that are involved which includes Ireland, Afghahistan, Zimbabwe, Netherlands and Scotland who are part of what i
s called the ICC ODI Championship. Along with Bangladesh and Windies if they are 7th and 8th in the top bunch.

It's all gonna get sorted next year it seems. Bet it won't change the 'World Cup' setup and make it more global.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2019 23:43 by Grockle.

Somerset LaLaLa 23 April, 2019 21:59
Surrey had three injuries today: Roy (back spasm), Clarke (finger) and Pope (shoulder)

AGod 24 April, 2019 07:51
So far as what we really want to win, above all else, is concerned, the key injury with the potential to make all the difference to them, would be Morkel.

Having said that, they will be playing more games at Guildford than usual, due to the World Cup.

And, *apart* from against Somerset, Guildford has proved a *graveyard* for the Brown Caps. I think Somerset were the only visiting side to have been beaten at Guildford for something like 12-15 years, and in most games, the hosts have been annihilated there.

Usually batting injuries would often not make that much difference as the Oval generally flat... but Guildford has been a different kettle of fish in recent years.

cricketjerry-mouse 25 April, 2019 12:05
I notice that Sam Billings and Joe Denley have both bought themselves out of the IPL and returned to Kent, although the tournament still has a way to go.

Both played only once - and both were out first ball. Perhaps something of a warning light here for others who might be tempted, as a large element of the gigantic fees are linked to number of appearances.

Billings is back captaining Kent at Cardiff today, but - irony or ironies - Denley suffered a back spasm in his first match back and is missing again.

Roger ivanhoe 25 April, 2019 12:19
And now Sam Billings has suffered the same fate as Denley injuring himself in the opening minutes of Kent's match at Cardiff.

Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net